Portable handloader

Dakoter98

First off, I love that they've added handloading ammunition. It really peaked my interest because I handload my own hunting ammo and on occasion use a lee "lee loader" this is a small portable die set that doesn't use an actual press just light tapping with a hammer to to size brass and seat bullets. Would be a handy, fairly light tool to load on go. 

1577173046904743748312517505367.jpg

I had thought that Hinterland would introduce a reloading kit with all the dies and measures as well as a components kit that contained bullets, powder and primers. Even ignoring the issue of primers, a components kit would allow for high quality ammunition because of the factory produced modern components and there could be a separate line similar to what was introduced in EP where the bullets and gunpowder could be crafted. The component kit yields 100% ammo, while the hand-made components, while easier and more available, would take time to get to 100%. 

Why would they need to add a reload kit when Will is already proficient at loading the rifle by hand. I do think though, that having away to cancel rifle reloads half way (other then putting it away and taking it back out) would a good way to improve the rifle reloading. As for the revolver  if you where able to carry multiple loaded cylinders that be nice. I would have enjoyed episode three more if that was a mechanic.

Edited by RegentRelic

2 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

Why would they need to add a reload kit when Will is already proficient at loading the rifle by hand. I do think though, that having away to cancel rifle reloads half way (other then putting it away and taking it back out) would a good way to improve the rifle reloading. As for the revolver  if you where able to carry multiple loaded cylinders that be nice. I would have enjoyed episode three more if that was a mechanic.

This is a portable ammunition crafting item.  The idea as I understand it is that if you have a bullet, casing, and gunpowder, you could use this item to field-craft a round of ammunition.  And frankly it makes sense.  The ammunition workbench should be required to melt lead into bullets and mix chemicals into gunpowder, but if you already have a pocket full of bullets and a can of gunpowder in your pack...sure.  Field-craft some ammo.  You can use the milling machine to repair firearms, or a cleaning kit to keep them topped off in the field.  This would contrast that nicely.  Use the ammunition workbench for all your ammo-crafting needs, or the handloader to reload casings in the field.

Since reloading ammunition is now a fact, if a reloading kit was introduced, as an incentive for the player to use the ammunition work bench, using the kit might always produce slightly lower condition ammunition (i.e. the game treats the kit as imposing a -1 level on your skill, with level 1 being the lowest anyway) so even level 5 gunsmithing is equivalent to level 4 when using the kit.   Hmmm,  Pilgrim and Voyager -1, Stalker -2, Interloper (if firearms were custom allowed) -2 or -3.  Just a thought.

I had not imagined that Hinterland would introduce the ammunition work bench which would incorporate bullet casting, powder manufacture, and reloading cartridge cases all in one spot. It is kind of like the forge on the Riken when Desolation Point was added.