[ERRANT PILGRIM SPOILER] - new experiences in Bleak Inlet

reginaphalange

Whoever designed the canary was feeling very... acrobatic. 😂

I have to say, even though I'm playing on Pilgrim for now, my several hours in Bleak Inlet so far has been TERRIFYING. I wasn't sure if the Timberwolves would leave me alone like regular wolves, so I was on edge. And add to that what has been VERY harsh weather...

I was exploring the canary a litttttle too close to dark and (first mistake) didn't just pack it in inside a trailer. I kept exploring figuring I'd find shelter... welp, I did, but it wasn't sealed from the elements... at all. I still wasn't sure if the timberwolves would get more aggressive, so I made my way up, up, up, thinking there'd be an office or something... I had my storm lantern which was very necessary as the winds in BI are TORRENTIAL!! I thought I'd found a good enough space to stay above freezing but a blizzard set in and I had to move. I found my way to a boat by hopping down, but there's no way inside the boat, and I couldn't find a way OFF it either! So I used it as a windsheld and built a fire long enough to sleep and warm up...

The blizzard lasted all night. A few hours before dawn I decided to check again for a way off the boat and found one. And while carrying my lantern in the middle of a blizzard I crossed planks of wood into another building.

All the while, there were strange noises below, snuffling and skittering...

I found a sort of lofted corner to build a fire (on snow) and sleep too. It was thankfully blocked from the wind on 2 sides if not all. Come dawn, the blizzard stopped, and I realized what those weird noises were...

Timberwolves were running around below me, and I couldn't help but think they were just WAITING for me to fall down from my loft....

After more acrobatic plank walks, I made my way down to the roof of a trailer, and to the ground, and inside a trailer where I had to quit the game (after a save) and take a break because PHEW  I was certain I was going to bite it after more than 600 days ingame.

And I thought TWM's weather was harsh! I'm going to be spending a lot of time in BI, I think. I still haven't found the place where you can manufacture bullets, but I did find the residence and the radio tower.

If anyone's wondering, no, the timberwolves never attacked me. I was even able to chase one off a fresh deer kill. On Pilgrim, even regular wolves have a chance to defend their kill by attacking you (or maybe I annoyed that one wolf somehow, I don't recall). But even though I did run into a few packs while walking around, they never approached me.

I still find BI and the timberwolves terrifying. I think the weather is in particular one of the reasons I was so panicked.  I'd been spoiled for a long time, living the life of a queen in the Camp Office with more food than I could handle. I'd basically been just lazing the days away before this update, so I felt like a noob again. 😫

Lesson re-learned, though. If it's near sunset, sit your butt down inside a shelter.