Best Interloper "Retirement Home"

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Hello fellow survivors,

since I don't want to apply necromancy to threads that have been started what feels like ages ago I am here asking:

What is your new favorite long term base in Interloper ? as of 1.69

Please keep in mind the "added" "unreliability" of fires to deter wolfes from ripping you a new one while crafting something in front of a fire, like you would in the barn in front of Paradise Meadows, or at the crafting bench at the Fishing Village in CH, and also that wolves in general are much more of a threat than they used to be. Right now I am really struggling to find a suitable long-term base that keeps all those factors in mind.

I don't want to tamper with your suggestions, so I keep my reasoning for and against some locations to myself for the time being. Please consider indoor crafting at a reasonable travel distance a prerequisite.

Edited by jeffpeng

Mine was and still is Camp Office in Mystery Lake.  For me, it has everything my long term Interloper needs: 
- Deer, wolves, rabbits, and bears nearby for hunting.
- Fishing if I get the urge.  
- Indoor crafting, 3 caves nearby to sleep in or spend time in to avoid cabin fever.
- Decent amount of storage.
- Lots of wood to break down in Camp Office and in the cabins around the lake.  Lots of places to collect sticks otherwise.
- Easy to see what the local wolves are doing from an adequate distance (the wolves on the lake, at least).

Trapper's Cabin is a close second.  My only dislikes are no nearby cave (good places for a snow shelter, though), and it just feels cramped to me.  By far, it's the most comforting looking place from the outside at night, though.

Guest jeffpeng

@MrWolf Yeah ... after a lot of iteration I am back to 

• Camp Office
  • Trapper's
  • Ravine Cave

I've kinda given up on beachcombing (Never liked that mechanic anyways, tbh ....).

My biggest gripes with the Camp Office are: everyone goes there (applies to Trapper's, too :D) and the lack of a safe outdoor fire. Trapper's has at least a spot that is 99% safe. But now thinking of it ... with the wolfes jumping you at fires .... outdoor fires might not really be the way to go anymore anyways. Which would be a very strong case for the Ravine .... again. 😑

19 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

@MrWolf Yeah ... after a lot of iteration I am back to 

• Camp Office
  • Trapper's
  • Ravine Cave

I've kinda given up on beachcombing (Never liked that mechanic anyways, tbh ....).

My biggest gripes with the Camp Office are: everyone goes there (applies to Trapper's, too :D) and the lack of a safe outdoor fire. Trapper's has at least a spot that is 99% safe. But now thinking of it ... with the wolfes jumping you at fires .... outdoor fires might not really be the way to go anymore anyways. Which would be a very strong case for the Ravine .... again. 😑

I always make a fire in the corner behind Camp Office.  Out the front door and turn right a couple times.  I tuck a fire into that corner of the building and I've never lost one to the wind.  I expect it could blow out, there's probably an opening for the wind, but it's sheltered by the building from two directions and low enough that wind from most other directions won't affect it.  The only exposure might be a wind coming from the lake.

I always drop every smelly thing when I'm at a fire and so far, knock on wood, I have not had a wolf encounter just sitting at a fire unless I've been in a wolf's patrol area.

I agree on the Ravine - I love it there because there's no worry of wolves.  How quickly do the 2 deer respawn?  I've never stayed there long enough to find out.

I'm the same with beach combing, never had much luck with it anyway.  I'm too afraid of falling through the ice so I only retrieve things if I can make it out there without the weak ice warning.

Edited by MrWolf

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

How quickly do the 2 deer respawn?

Not often enough to live off them exclusively. You WILL need to find some other source of food. Which isn't that hard with the deers below the dam.

I would never set up just one base I'm a 3 or 4 base kinda guy lol

But if I was forced to pick one spot to set up I'd choose the fishing village in CH.. outdoor workbench(no cabin fever) massive amount of animals spawn near by (4 to 6 deer, 4 to 6 wolves, a bear, lots of rabbits not to far away and of course fishing) which bring me to the fishing huts that are close by and are great for cabin fever also lot's of wood in the area all and all it has almost everything you will need fairly close by. You can also make a trip to the Quonset if you need indoor crafting.

Maybe it's a bad spot with the update but I still choose it, it's been a favorite spot of mine for years.

Edited by StoneyWolf
  • Upvote 1

im just a casual voyageur peasant but i always end up settling in CH, between quonset and fishing camp. at the fishing camp,  i leave a bear bedroll in the nearby fishing hut for cabin fever/fish hauls and tuck a fire in the rock crevice behind the cabin w/ workbench.  rabbits/firewood and bear are all up the hill.  moose is over by quonset (even though i havent seen a single one in 160+ days👎🏻). with the horrible bleed out mechanics right now i bait the bear over to the fishing hut then duck in and out to get a safe shot.  then you can hold the bear near the hut by ducking in and out of the fishing hut til he bleeds out.  kinda 'gamey' but with current bleed out mechanics being borked we arent left much choice.  really everything you could want between these two spots and its an easy commute, b line it across the ice or just follow the road.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I like finding sort of unconventional home base ideas.  I'm sometimes too freshly narrative driven, lol.  Like maybe starting a homestead at Rabbit Grove or something.  Just hanging out by the creek with Mr Black Choco, my bear friend.  Starting at the campsite in -20 weather imagining all the cornhole of years past.

Guest jeffpeng
3 minutes ago, diggity said:

Mostly stalker here, but surprised no one said Moutaineer's Hut.  If I knew the end was nigh, would just stay there and only venture down to FM for the forge, if I had to.

If it wouldn't get so freaking cold late in Interloper .... I'd agree. I love the hut. Fishing, hunting, "decent" firewood ... all nearby. The only real reasons to shun the Hut are the lategame cold .... and that it's at the end of the world.

My longest run is 100 and something days so far but I like the Hunting Lodge at BR. Moose shows up outside, bear and forge down the hill, caves nearby. It's totally the kind of place I would choose in real life. The only downside is it's rather dark even in daytime and I wish I could saw down all those stupid beds.

• Like 1

So as a "retirement home" for lopers would assume that I had a 500 day run going and perhaps level 5 archery etc. So Camp Office is the likely choice since there is nearby fishing as an alternate food source. BUT in terms of wolf safety going to give a nod to the good ol Carter Hydro Dam and it's fenced in yard. There is a rock ledge on  which can be used to deal with the usual wolf spawn by the trailers in safety . Quick access to the Ravine so Birch bark tea and the mentioned deer spawns along with rabbits. Also not far from  Bear Creek Campground which can serve as a stop over heading the fish camp to restock on lamp oil if needed. 

4 minutes ago, Hilayla said:

My longest run is 100 and something days so far but I like the Hunting Lodge at BR. Moose shows up outside, bear and forge down the hill, caves nearby. It's totally the kind of place I would choose in real life. The only downside is it's rather dark even in daytime and I wish I could saw down all those stupid beds.

Don't like Hunting Lodge that much due to usual wolf spawns at the pond out front making the safest escape route down the rope climb in behind. I guess if you kill the bear you can stay safely in its cave. 

Iv currently used the old farmhouse on PV as a base, thinking I might now move to the community hall. Lotsa drawers to help with my OCD. 🤣

Iv used the bank managers cabin in the mountain town, however the wolves are very thick there and can attack as soon as you step out of the building.

I feel like I tried to make a go at the tappers lodge but gave up and moved to the camp office in the middle of mystery lake.

Iv also made the wrecked ship on desolate point a base for EXTENDED amounts of time on interloper, just be prepared to go hide outside the church with the fire pit burning on high to keep you warm and outside when cabin fever sets in.

Other than that, not a single place I can say feels like the "best" spot to call a main base. The closest place I ever felt like I could call home was the farm house in pleasant valley. I loved it till they modified the cabinets. :( 

10 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Trapper's has at least a spot that is 99% safe. But now thinking of it ... with the wolfes jumping you at fires .... outdoor fires might not really be the way to go anymore anyways.

I didn't try in 1.69, but the entrance to the cave to Milton is 100% protected from winds as far as I know (and I used it a lot - a lot).

I also tried to attract wolves to that spot by loading up smellies but they wouldn't sniff me out while I was right next to the cave. So I think the place is wolfproof just as it is windproof.

1 hour ago, Ahatch said:

So as a "retirement home" for lopers would assume that I had a 500 day run going and perhaps level 5 archery etc. So Camp Office is the likely choice since there is nearby fishing as an alternate food source. BUT in terms of wolf safety going to give a nod to the good ol Carter Hydro Dam and it's fenced in yard. There is a rock ledge on  which can be used to deal with the usual wolf spawn by the trailers in safety . Quick access to the Ravine so Birch bark tea and the mentioned deer spawns along with rabbits. Also not far from  Bear Creek Campground which can serve as a stop over heading the fish camp to restock on lamp oil if needed. 

Not a loper fan personally but I would have to agree with this sentiment.  Proximity to the Ravine is huge.  Set up a stupid amount of traps, like 30, and you'll be swimming in rabbit meat.

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, odium said:

im just a casual voyageur peasant but i always end up settling in CH, between quonset and fishing camp. at the fishing camp,  i leave a bear bedroll in the nearby fishing hut for cabin fever/fish hauls and tuck a fire in the rock crevice behind the cabin w/ workbench.  rabbits/firewood and bear are all up the hill.  moose is over by quonset (even though i havent seen a single one in 160+ days👎🏻). with the horrible bleed out mechanics right now i bait the bear over to the fishing hut then duck in and out to get a safe shot.  then you can hold the bear near the hut by ducking in and out of the fishing hut til he bleeds out.  kinda 'gamey' but with current bleed out mechanics being borked we arent left much choice.  really everything you could want between these two spots and its an easy commute, b line it across the ice or just follow the road.  

Fishing Camp in Coastal Highway? I tend to agree… ;)

screen_22d8fe37-9354-485a-befa-373c80388ef6_hi.png

Edited by Morrick
  • Like 1

Hunting lodge in BR : 2 moose spawns (1 nearby, 1 at your doorstep), 1 bear that you can kill from far and bring back safely (via rope, so it's a tough work, but it's 30kg and there's a nice cave to rest), wolves and rabbits, a cave nearby to enjoy camping (hey there cabin fever!), a workbench, a forge just a few wolves away, tons of resources... When I get there fully geared, I let it behind only because I'm bored...
To get rid of the wolves, you can use the front door, if you miss, just go inside. There's also at least 3 timbers to climb on, rabbits to push to them, etc

Edited by LkP

My favorite spot for late game Loper was the Lake Cabin's in Mystery Lake.

The cluster of cabins near the Lake Trail is also close to a cave up on the hill. The Cave is great for cooking and watching the weather. From there it's easy to collect sticks up the hill behind the lake or do some fishing. Three deer spawn on that end and the bear is down the other end of the lake. 

I'd spend most days in the cave letting the time slip by waiting for the next clear day to start a fire and cook up some food. Not very exciting but that's how I got 200 days before the save overhaul. 

For my first long run (200D) i was pleased to rest in paradise meadows in Milton but just because i’m feeling great when i am outside on the terrace and i observe the point of view front of me...

I like particuraly the lodge in TM just at front of the lake. Great hunting spot with all wildlife 

after i believe in the power of mistery lake on our mental. As soon as you arrive in this region you are feeling at home i’m think, don’t you? 

• 1 month later...

Bleak Inlet  workshop (or nearby cannery residence) hasn't been mentioned yet.  I haven't tried it on my Interloper save yet, but I spent a lot of time there in Stalker mode.  There's quite a large, safe outdoor area that's a sort of foyer for the workshop for fires and sleeping.   The wolf pack respawns keep you fed once cooking is level 5, and wont bother you for a few days after you scare them off.  There's a ton of crates to break down for wood, lots of storage both indoors and out,  and a few places with bed in the courtyard if you don't want to wear out your bedroll.   The grinding machine is great for keeping weapons sharp without a whetstone.  My only real complaint is the long roundabout path to get back into the workshop once you exit the safe area.  But beware there are two very tall rope climbs to get back out  to the other zones,  so if you like to move and haul all your stuff with you, its going to be a long, slow process!   If you travel light, then no worries there.

Edited by Milany
added a bit more
  • Upvote 1