Tiny little fishes in a can.. more like death in a can..

MrsValkyrieCat

So About 30% off the time I eat those tiny fishes I get food poison, so now I don't eat em unless I have some antibiotics laying around. I can eat dogfood, soda pop ect at 1% but those fishes get me every time what I do find a bit ironic is that in RL at the local cannery they have like lets eat 50year old fish in a can day.. and none has ever died.. they taste a bit bland but still not bad for you at all.. so am just a bit confused.. that whats in my mind should be the most safe food is what has killed me the most.. but after vising the cannery, well it was a bit messy (thought it was the earthquake) so I see why the fish may be polluted.. however still.. 

• Upvote 1

If you're not getting sick, it's just because you've been lucky.  Kneel and thank the RNG gods, right away.

When the update dropped, I started a run in Bleak Inlet, so I really needed the food when I looted the cannery.  I had, fortunately found 1 bottle of antibiotics... I got food poisoning 3 times in a row from the Sardines and used up all those antibiotics (as well as lost 30 hours of "run time' because I had to sleep it off as well.  The sardines at the cannery are no safer than those anywhere else in the game.

1 hour ago, MrsValkyrieCat said:

I know they almost killed me more then once, what i ment is that were I live in Norway at the local cannery its really safe to eat unlike ingame :) 

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.  IRL... I haven't had sardines in many years.  I used to like them alot as a kid (unlike all of my mates).

Im right there with you, real life I can eat those little fishies all day long, nothing. Even out of date.

In game? Less than 60%? You have died from little fishies in a can/

But I just drank a soda pop in game at 0%....nothing, perfectly fine. Not even a headache....Real life however? Im sick, bad sick. x.x

I consider the sardines in The Long Dark an enemy, not food. They're sneaky and vicious. Absolutely unpredictable. What was the first thing ever that gave me food poisoning? You guessed right. What was the condition of that tin of sardines? 78%. I still remember as if it were yesterday. What food poisons you at 78%? I was so mad when that happened. Totally caught me unprepared.

And yet… I'm in Bleak Inlet now, and very low on food. Out of desperation, I collected the tins of sardines in better condition (ranging from 34% to 47%), and when I reluctantly ate them… nothing. I've been eating at least 6 or 7 tins in those conditions, but every time all went well. I even pushed my luck with a tin that was at 25% condition. All okay. Either I've been impossibly lucky, or the sardines in the cannery are 'special'. :D

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Morrick said:

I consider the sardines in The Long Dark an enemy, not food. They're sneaky and vicious. Absolutely unpredictable. What was the first thing ever that gave me food poisoning? You guessed right. What was the condition of that tin of sardines? 78%. I still remember as if it were yesterday. What food poisons you at 78%? I was so mad when that happened. Totally caught me unprepared.

And yet… I'm in Bleak Inlet now, and very low on food. Out of desperation, I collected the tins of sardines in better condition (ranging from 34% to 47%), and when I reluctantly ate them… nothing. I've been eating at least 6 or 7 tins in those conditions, but every time all went well. I even pushed my luck with a tin that was at 25% condition. All okay. Either I've been impossibly lucky, or the sardines in the cannery are 'special'. :D

I don't know if the chances of food poisoning change with interloper, but I've gotten food poisoning from sodas in the past.  In fact, my first case of food poisoning cam from a Stacy's soda that was at 48%.  I remember being shocked because I had just seen a Youtube video where the player had declared sodas 100% safe regardless of their condition.  I have also eaten sardines as low as 22% and not gotten food poisoning from them.  As I posted above, I got food poisoning from 3 consecutive cans of sardines at the Cannery (after also watching a Youtube video where the player declared sardines perfectly safe as long as you ate them when you first picked them up).

The thing with RNG is that it is RNG... random and adverse to being predictable.  I really don't think the sardines in the cannery are special.  I think you've been impossibly lucky, just as I was impossibly unlucky.  Same game, same odds... different role of the dice.  The only certainty is that antibiotics and 10 hours of sleep cures it.  I carry lots of those little pills or lots of reshi teas and, as much as possible, I eat just before going to sleep.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The thing with RNG is that it is RNG... random and adverse to being predictable.  I really don't think the sardines in the cannery are special.  I think you've been impossibly lucky, just as I was impossibly unlucky.  Same game, same odds... different role of the dice.  The only certainty is that antibiotics and 10 hours of sleep cures it.  I carry lots of those little pills or lots of reshi teas and, as much as possible, I eat just before going to sleep.

No, I was clearly joking about the sardines in the Cannery being special. Food poisoning in this game has truly been the most random thing I've encountered. I was poisoned by Dog Food at 67%, but not by Condensed Milk at 11% (no kidding). But never by beverages, no matter the condition. Statistically, however, sardines have been the worst and the most frequent case of food poisoning for me. :coffee:

19 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Don't they have an increased risk by design? But I never got food poising from sardines. Or maybe once. And I've eaten some sketchy fish

Not really.... according to the Food Poisoning table in the Wiki:    https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Food_poisoning

Sardines below 20% condition are listed as having a 20% chance of food poisoning; whereas dog food below 20% condition is listed as having a 30% chance of food poisoning.

I don't know who supplied those rates or how they determined them.

Edited by UpUpAway95

(By the way, these posts are hilarious taken out of context. When I was replying earlier, my wife came into my studio, cursorily glanced at the screen and said, What in the world are you talking about? When did you get food poisoning!?

– It's okay, dear, it's just a game.)

Oh man... :D

Edited by Morrick
  • Upvote 1