Sinking Carcasses

Ahatch

Playing an interloper run on Coastal Highway things are going pretty good except after shooting a deer on the ice I noticed that the corpses are sinking into the ice. I starting cooking one and the next morning got up to finish and seen I was unable to harvest the gut due the corpse being under the ice. Another deer than ran off after being hit by an arrow I was able to locate the body by the crows but unable to harvest anything off the carcass. 

sink1.png

sink2.png

sink3.png

• Upvote 1

I have encountered the same thing after killing a moose in Desolation Point, I slept in the ship and found it sunken beneath the ground and could not interact with it.

Edit: I also have had a deer sink as well, both the deer and the moose were killed on the ice.

Don't have a screenshot to show for it but the other day I shot a deer in Pleasant Valley, followed the blood trail/hoof prints, and they just stopped in the middle of an open field.  The next day there were crows overhead, circling an empty spot of ground, so that deer was completely buried.  Not even a clue as to its location if not for the crows.  (I was more upset about the loss of the arrow than the deer.)

This just took place in my game. Was just kicking about at CH when it's sunny, windless and the three deer near the fishing camp have respawned. I set out and put down all three of them in close proximity. I recover my arrows and proceed to fully harvest the first one when the weather suddenly turns sour. Retreat back to the cabin and sleep, the next day there are crows circulating one empty spot on the ice, I mapped the place and a single carcass show up on the zoomed map, but it's sunk into the ice and I can't get to it. The other deer somehow vanished without a trace. 

I've tried loading and reloading the game multiple times and even turning my PC completely off to see if it offsets this behaviour but sadly no buck for me. I've had wolf corpses getting buried under the snow but this is the first time deer glitches through the ice in my saves. The only apparent "fix" is to fully process the carcasses and not load/reload or leave the scene that you made your kill. Pretty hard when there's a snowstorm coming in. 😒

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Desolation Point now on a 500 day attempt, and this has happened to every animal I kill in DP. Killed 5 wolves in succession (Archery 5) outside Hibernia and lost 5 arrows with nothing to show for it. This is quickly making the game unplayable.

Guest jeffpeng

I'm pretty sure they will fix it with the next update. I cannot imagine the cause for this is that ... complicated to fix. But yeah, for now it's rather unplayable. 

I have encountered this bug too. I thouhgt it is only related to imperfect shots and escaping prey. But no. I shot one wolf on the Coastal Highway. It was on the sea ice. It dropped on spot. I decided to harvest it next day because I was overencumbered and it was almost night. When I was walking from it, I noticed crows circling over empty spot few meters away. I went into Quonset, slept and next day was nice and clear. The wolf carcass is not present. It is not nice. It cost me one revolver bullet.

Day later I visit the same place. There is new flock of crows circling. But it is unusually low. They are flying 2-3m above my character head. Usually crows are much higher.

Edited by acada
Info found later

Guest jeffpeng

I've sort-of-kinda-tried-to-explain this somewhere else.  

5 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Well it appears the "underground predators" and sinking corpse bug is also in Crossroads Elegy.

I'm pretty sure both are the same bug. Corpses (real corpses, not deer carcasses, those are technically objects like cedar limbs) are entities just as much as living mobs as far as Unity is concerned. Now something must have happened with Crossroads Elegy that made them spawn below terrain. The problem here is also two-pronged.

For once there is a chance that mobs spawn below terrain. That does happen (and always kinda happened, just much rarer). I can only cast conjecture on why this problem now is so much more common, but I believe it has to do with altered hitboxes of predators that was implemented to make them respect walls better.

But apparently there is also a problem of the placement algorithm that disregards frozen water as viable ground, and places the mobs on the actual terrain under the water. And yes, there is actual terrain under the water. The water surfaces are basically level flat surfaces that intersect with terrain, sometimes for very large parts of the map. There was also a video a few years back that showed that they can adjust the Y Axis of those water surfaces level-wide.

Edited by jeffpeng

When you mention mobs spawning bellow surface. I witnessed long time ago a wolf spawn high above the ground. Till this point I didnt know they suffer fall damage as well. That time I had free wolfie steaks.

Anyway. Did anyone report this to Hinterland? I have not yet (occured to me recently).

16 hours ago, acada said:

Has anyone tried it after 1.71? I did not shot anything yet to confirm it is fixed.

I have tested it out on 2 bears and 1 deer on Coastal Highway.  Lost more kills than I care to dwell on before this update, and of the 3 kills I tested it on since the update, they were all fine.  Fingers crossed we're all good.