Stupid Deaths

Willy Pete

My stupidest death happened the first time I visited Hushed River Valley. I'm climbing up somewhere but I realise the climb is too long to complete: my survivor is tired and with a lot of gear to carry. Fortunately I reach an intermediate ledge: cool, I can start a campfire, make some coffee (or rest a bit) to regain strength, and go on with the climb. I start placing the campfire but its icon is red, so I keep moving backwards to find a good spot where it turns green...

…until I fall down the ledge, to my death.

I laugh now, but that was one of my first long-running survivors — 112 days, if I remember well, and with great clothes and tools (no emergency stims, though.) At the time I was crushed and appalled at my stupidity.

• Upvote 3

HRV, 453 days in, 250+ locations mapped, going for cartographer and 500 days achievements.  I'm stumbling about in the snow looking for Valley Viewpoint to map.  End up in the river,  go to climb late in the day after an short unintended scrap with a wolf, bit low on stamina but think I can make it without coffee.  I come up just short of the top, fall down battered and bruised, stamina in the red.  No worries, there's a handy cave upstream, I'll just pop in there until morning then bounce up the rope...

Forgot about blood loss from the wolf (I'd assumed the warnings on the HUD were sprains from the fall).  Did a cocky 10 hour sleep, didn't wake up.  Still my longest run so far.

Restarted a new run straight away, obviously!

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

I had alot of deaths. 

One was I was walking at night because I was heading to a cabin to stay for the night. But then a deer spooked me and I jumped  But as I continued to walk to the cabin a bear came out of  the forest and I died before I could get to the cabin:(  Guess the deer was not running from me:)

I also had many other deaths but the one above is one of the worst ones I had:)  I was on day 10

Edited by wolfman12345
  • Upvote 3

Just went on a madman mission to explore the new Inlet region.  I wanted to use a new Interloper run and head straight there knowing it would likely end in a quick death but wanted to do as well as possible.  Did quite well to go from Hushed to Milton to FM and then to the Inlet in a few days.  Even the regular wolves are tricky now. 

Even more driven by madness since I still had no bedroll or hacksaw.  Was able to sidestep two TW packs and a Moose.  I figured spotting them before me was the key.  It was getting night so I finally found what seemed to be a peaceful high spot but also a little bit of wind shade at times.  Made my snowshelter.  Ate some grub.  Was really trying to decipher if I would be warm enough if the fire died.  Did a tester.  Seemed fairly ok.  Most likely.  

But I'll never know since I forgot to drink my water.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 9:59 PM, Willy Pete said:

I just lost my ~280 day Voyageur in the Broken Railroad because I figured it wouldn't hurt too bad if I stood on a live wire during an Aurora. It was a real shock to me. (Pun intended)

What are some stupid deaths you guys have had over the years?

I must admit, that was probably much worse than Iv ever done...Iv already posted one where I tried to snag snax while a bear was in immediate proximity, but I suppose I had one today.....was forgeing arrows and such, noticed I was getting hungry but out of supplies, went to kill a deer, but was absolutely dead tired and a touch overweight.....well, when your smell o meter is full, wolf spawns are literally just one rock behind anouther…..Can't run, smell like dead carp, now lets go home the long way. X.X

• Upvote 1

One time I made a fire before I set up my snow shelter in the bitter cold. Too bad I forgot the fire wasn't stoked enough to warm me up while making it and I was low on condition. I only checked the time the fire would go which was over 45 min which would be when the shelter would be made. Made the mistake of optimizing for time over it actually warming me up. Oh yeah it was Interloper. Running out of condition there.

Edited by desertedone
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Committed my first suicide today... Why does it belong in the stupid deaths thread? Well...

I though it would be fun to start a new game in Hushed river valley, since I've only visited there very briefly before. Things started off very smoothly, I found a dead guy with a survival bow, a few carcasses and to top it off, I made my way to a "mysterious signal fire", where I found a moose-hide satchel. Things are really going my way, I thought and went to take a sip from my water bottle. Expect it wasn't my bottle but instead a piece of raw wolf meat. Got food poisoning and internal parasites.
Didn't really want to spend the first 10 days of a game just sipping reishi tea, so decided to walk off a cliff. RIP.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 1/14/2020 at 5:55 PM, EjectedCasings said:

Not my stupid death, but.....:rabbit:

This would have been even better if you actually had missed the stone ..... :D 

My favorite so far is freezing to death by that waterfall just a stone's throw from mama grey's home in Milton. This was a long run, had looted most regions, got bored and goated down this waterfall just northwest of Mountain Town because… well because I could. Goating worked, just a few scratches, but once I had descended a giant 1 cm (0.03 feet) insurmountable stone threshold between the waterfall and it's river locked the poor survivor away for good. If you have a closer look you can still find him standing there frozen, staring down at the almighty stone threshold.

• Upvote 1

I just died on day 5 of my luckiest Stalker run ever. 

Spawned in Broken Railroad, first item I found was a crowbar. Made it to the cabin. Found 2 maple, killed a few rabbits, harvested some deer, found a revolver, lots of matches and even ammo. Oh, and a Cowichan sweater. I also found a bow and 2 arrows (1 of them broken), which I used to one-shot the bear below the ridge. Incredibly lucky, actually that was way too easy.

It was a bad omen that the bear still made growling sounds even after it fell to the ground. Stupid as I was, I ignored it, thinking it was a glitch. Having climbed down the rope I immediately wanted to harvest the bear - and then it attacked me. OK, I guess that made sense, even a dying bear can be extremely dangerous. I barely survived, cared for my wounds and slept in the nearby cave. Investigating the hunter's blind I found a hunting knife. 

After recovering from the attack (which had completely wrecked my wool hat and sneakers), I spent the next days harvesting the bear, climbing up and down the rope, leaving the intestines and bear meat down in the valley. 

On day 5 I was starving, so I took 2 pieces of bear meat.

Immediately after climbing back up I was attacked by a wolf, which I fought off with the hunting knife. Only seconds after the first attack, another wolf attacked me, there was no chance I could reach the cabin. So I bled to death :(

Lesson learned: Don't climb ropes carrying meat. 

Edited by melcantspell
  • Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
8 hours ago, Willy Pete said:

I had the same thing happen to me, only it ended a little differently...

They warned us that nature would fight back. But when it did we were not prepared. WE WERE NOT PREPARED!