Bear coat or bear sleeping bag

Grunt

Maybe consider this:  The coat is adding to your warmth bonus all the time you're wearing it.  The bedroll only adds to your warmth when you're sleeping in it, but its weight is with you all the time you're carrying it.  Personally, I seldom bother with either... just too heavy and they take too long to craft... but I've yet to go long enough in a Loper game where it is getting cold enough where it would really become necessary.  At the lower difficulties, the expedition parka is much lighter and plenty warm through 500 days... and there is always at least one on Timberwolf Mountain.

bedroll first, i leave it in storage but use it for fighting cabin fever, or traveling to PV or HRV.  limited use you dont have high repair costs.  the jacket is a novelty later when you have plenty of spare hides for repair.  wolf coat is far superior in my opinion, lighter and you will never have any shortage of pelts for repair

Guest jeffpeng

Pure Interloper perspective here...

I'm gonna vote bedroll as well. The bear coat is too heavy as an inner layer (just +1°C over the wolfskin for 2 kilos), and my outer layer of choice usually is the Moose Hide Cloak.  Let me iterate why ....

I play almost exclusively Interloper. You die very easily to a wolf on Interloper. You hardly ever suddenly die to the cold. In fact you have to make some gross misplays to "achieve" dying to the cold at a stage either option would be accessible to you. Dying to a wolf is easy, even if you don't do anything obviously wrong. So I value defense almost infinitely higher than warmth. As a result of that my usual gear is very tank-heavy, even sacrificing inner layers if need be. And since I value defense this highly, this really is pretty much a nobrainer for me. Plus: the more defense I have, the more it is worth.

How? Well, you asked.

I made a post a while back in which I explain how defense gets better the more you have. I sadly cannot find it anymore. But it's a "simple" math thing. Basically: think of having 20% defense. That means you are taking 80 of 100 of damage. That's 20% defense, simple enough. Now add another 20% to it to achieve 40% in total. You now take 60 of previously 80 damage. That means that those 20% extra have mitigated 25% of the damage you would have taken otherwise. Add another 20% to achieve 60% in total, and you take 40 of previously 60 damage, effectively mitigating a third of the damage you would have taken. And so forth. If you have successfully finished middle school you by now know this trends towards infinity.

So at roundabout 25% defense without an outer chest a Moose Hide is worth 25/75 = 33% mitigation, while the Bear Cloak is 18/75 = 24% mitigation. So instead of 75-18 = 57 damage I take 75-25 = 50 damage, which is 14% less. To me that is superior to having 2.5+1°C better warmth.

So, yeah. Bedroll. 😎

Edited by jeffpeng

11 hours ago, sierra 117 said:

One other benefit for the coat is the higher chance to scare wolves.

I personally usually don't bother with either, unless really late game for something to do.

I wonder... has anyone tested out the bearskin coat against timberwolves yet.  It would be interesting IF they react to it more reliably than regular wolves.

I've played most of my many hours in The Long Dark in Interloper and I have never created a bear skin bedroll.  I always make a wolf coat and bear coat and usually wear the bear coat on the inside to make it last longer.  If I'm traveling in the wind, I'll switch them because the bear coat gives better wind protection.  Once I have a bear coat and wolf coat and the other crafted clothing, I can sleep in the back of warm caves in a normal bedroll without fire, in any region (safe from the cold, at least).

As usual, @jeffpeng makes some really good points.  In addition, doesn't the moose satchel helps with attacks by taking a lot of the damage?  I thought I remember reading that when the moose was introduced.

Edited by MrWolf

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

In addition, doesn't the moose satchel helps with attacks by taking a lot of the damage?

Well it protects your flimsy Ear Wraps. A bear won't just eat you Satchel as it does with the wraps. So yes, putting the satchel outside will protect them. But that it actually had defensive value of its own is kinda new to me.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I wonder... has anyone tested out the bearskin coat against timberwolves yet.  It would be interesting IF they react to it more reliably than regular wolves.

I had a wolfskin in Story Mode, and they didn't care at all. Iirc the effect of the bearskin and the wolfskin are the same coding-wise.

Before the update I would have also put in the argument that moose are more safely and more reliably huntable than bears. Now I'm not so sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if moose now trampled you standing next to a fire. So now the bear is probably easier and safer to hunt, provided you have something to hide in around, like a car, a house or a finshing hut. Then again I don't trust fishing huts anymore.

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

Well it protects your flimsy Ear Wraps. A bear won't just eat you Satchel as it does with the wraps. So yes, putting the satchel outside will protect them. But that it actually had defensive value of its own is kinda new to me.

Ah yes, I think that's what it was - just protects the inner layer (ear wraps).  I remembered it incorrectly in my old(ish) age.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

I had a wolfskin in Story Mode, and they didn't care at all. Iirc the effect of the bearskin and the wolfskin are the same coding-wise.

Before the update I would have also put in the argument that moose are more safely and more reliably huntable than bears. Now I'm not so sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if moose now trampled you standing next to a fire. So now the bear is probably easier and safer to hunt, provided you have something to hide in around, like a car, a house or a finshing hut. Then again I don't trust fishing huts anymore.

I think you've misunderstood my comment.  My bad for not being clear (I really have to work on that).  I was wondering if Timberwolves react to the bearskin coats alleged ability to scare them more reliably than regular wolves.  The bearskin coat being "scary" hasn't been a big consideration in the past, but if Hinterland made it the "magic bullet" for escaping timberwolves... I can see a lot more of us rushing to craft the bearskin coat in the future.  Has anyone tested it out yet?

Guest jeffpeng

Oh that might as well be me being a dud :D I mean.... someone's gotta test that. It would make quite a bit of sense if they implemented it that way. Getting a bearskin is a pretty difficult task in the first place, time consuming and dangerous. But considering how much HL is in love with Timberwolves being the new ultimate terror for Loper's .... I doubt that magic bullet exists. And if it does, they'll probably patch it out of the game once players start "exploiting" it. 😉 

52 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I was wondering if Timberwolves react to the bearskin coats alleged ability to scare them more reliably than regular wolves.  The bearskin coat being "scary" hasn't been a big consideration in the past, but if Hinterland made it the "magic bullet" for escaping timberwolves... I can see a lot more of us rushing to craft the bearskin coat in the future.  Has anyone tested it out yet?

I was wearing a bear coat (Interloper) when Errant Pilgrim was released and I went into the new region and was attacked by Timberwolves.  I don't have much experience with Timberwolves, but the bear coat didn't seem to have any effect at that time.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I don't have much experience with Timberwolves, but the bear coat didn't seem to have any effect at that time.

:/ 

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I remembered it incorrectly in my old(ish) age.  Thanks.

That's our prerogative being an aging survivor in the concrete wastes of modern society. :D 

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I was wearing a bear coat (Interloper) when Errant Pilgrim was released and I went into the new region and was attacked by Timberwolves.  I don't have much experience with Timberwolves, but the bear coat didn't seem to have any effect at that time.

I guess that answers that.  Too bad... I was hoping for a magic bullet.  Thanks.

I'd go for bedroll, the coat is too heavy and sleeping in long chunks confidently removes a lot of my stress while also recovering my condition lost better. I also rarely get to see the coats work as intendend. 

Maybe the coats could add a percentage to how much each action (throwing, shooting, injuring) lowers the timber wolf morale? Or a static 10 percent of the bar for each action. 

I tend to go with the bearskin myself. Main reason why is it seems I am allways dealing with cabin fever right after crafting....No joke, Ill go in to craft arrow heads or knives, or maybe cook up a moose satchel, and BOOM, cabin fever. 30%. Get out of the house before you go crazy...And 9 times out of 10, a blizzard is hitting. x.x

• 1 year later...