Loading Rifle

Haven’t figured out how to load my hunting rifle with rifle ammuniton (both were found in the safe house at Trapper’s Homestead).

Thoughts on this:

#1: Rifle Is automaticly loaded but then I realized the numbers in the right corner (0:15)

#2: Maybe I must load the gun (navigate to the ammunition in the inventory / then to the rifle > found no button)

#3: Maybe the ammo doesn’t fit for this rifle.

#4: Maybe a bug?

#5: Maybe I am too tired?

Can’t remember my last encounter with a rifle. (Ok, I am definetly too tired. :) )

What is the secret of this useful weapon?

Btw: Thanks for hideing the gameplay spoilers.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Use "R" to Reload the weapon in your hands.

The numbers in the top right corner indicate how many rounds are in the clip/chamber (in your case 0) and how many rounds are you have in your inventory (in your case 15).

Some things we could consider to prevent players from being frustrated by not knowing the Reload key:

1. When you equip a weapon with nothing in the clip/chamber, we put up a message that says something like "Press R to Reload"... assuming there are rounds in reserve for the reload.

2. Display "Press R to Reload" when the player attempts to fire a weapon with an empty clip/chamber.

3. Automatically reload when you equip a weapon with an empty clip, if possible.

I would lean towards doing #1 and #2, but disable the reminder after the player's first successful reload.

P.S. If you press F1 in-game, you will see a summary of all the controls.

• Hinterland

The controls summary is always available at F1. I think this is enough.

(One thing we could/should also do is allow you to reload the Rifle from inventory (as we do with the Lantern fuel), provided you have ammo.) AND/OR, we could let you refuel lanterns using the reload button.

Very similar actions should ideally utilize the same controls.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had my first chance to use the rifle and I think the way it works now is fine. Started practicing with it by successfully shooting a deer on my first shot. And I'm the one who is hopeless with guns in games.

I'm voting for leaving it be. It's clearly labeled in the control summary. Anything more is 'hand holding'.

Hell if it were my choice I'd get rid of the ammo count also. I know it's extreme, but IRL you would have to either remember or visually inspect the mag and weapon to determine the ammo count... my realism expectations be cray cray!

I'm voting for leaving it be. It's clearly labeled in the control summary. Anything more is 'hand holding'.

Hell if it were my choice I'd get rid of the ammo count also. I know it's extreme, but IRL you would have to either remember or visually inspect the mag and weapon to determine the ammo count... my realism expectations be cray cray!

Yes!!! count your rounds this isn't Escape From New York

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reload should allow you to reload the rounds one at a time. If you have a rifle that is in very poor condition, you don't want to load everything to it. The way it works now is that I have to drop some of the rounds, leaving only the amount I want to reload and then pick the rest up again after reloading. Not a problem, if you're inside a nice, warm cabin, but can be when you're outside in freezing cold or facing a wolf.

Archived