Bear not bleeding out

turtle777

I'm on a custom interloper game, and found some odd bear behavior.

In two separate occasions, I shot a bear (once with rifle, once with revolver), and got a positive hit. Blood splatter in the snow, and bear running off wincing. Both times, the bear did not bleed out to death, and was alive and kicking still two days later.

What is happening ? I thought every hit will eventually be fatal. Has something changed ?

-t

Edited by turtle777

Did you go indoors, or somewhere with a loading screen after shooting the bear?  If so, the bear probably respawned in good health when you came back.  This issue was fixed a while back and seems to be back after one of the recent updates.  I've noticed the same behavior with bear, deer, and wolves recently.  If you shoot them and go indoors before they die, it's likely that the animal will be back to normal when you go out again.  I've lost a number of arrows that way.  If you wait outside long enough after shooting the animal, it will eventually bleed out.

• Upvote 1

You say "wincing," but was there a blood trail in the snow in the direction in which he ran?  If there wasn't, then you just grazed him and he won't bleed out even if you stay outside waiting.  If you get a good blood trail that you can follow for a ways, he should eventually bleed out.  However, if you go through a loading screen in the meantime (like you get when you go indoors), the bug mentioned by @MrWolf can kick in and cause the animal to reset in good health.  Even with a strong blood trail, bears can take a long, long time to bleed out, so I find it best to find a cave or fishing hut or a lookout where you don't go through a load screen to sleep.