where are the guns at?

Simone Else

so i started a new survival game after the new update, and set it up just like the previous one was, the only thing i changed was the settings regarding the timberwolves. and the only thing i changed was to set the morale to high. 

it spawned me in mountain town, so i start heading to milton.  first i visit grey mothers house half expecting to find a revolver or a rifle there... no dice.  "ok" I thought to myself, ill check the farmhouse maybe i can find a rifle there.  it was a good bet because in the past i have found it there.

no joy there either, but i found ammo for both so i decided to finish looting milton and head out to the trappers cabin.  i get there and nothing.  so i go to the little pond after that, i find a bow and 1 arrow.  "at least i have something"  i say to myself.. anyway to speed this up a bit,  after that i went to:

the camp office, all the lake cabins/fishing huts, that cave overlooking mystery lake, that little trail by the camp office, the box car, the ranger lookout, carter dam, the trailers in front of the dam, the hunters blind in pleasant valley near the exit from the winding river, the signal hill building, and the homestead / barn in pleasant valley.  nothing.  just ammo  very frustrating.

so my question is, (1) is there any place that is 100 % guaranteed to have a rifle/pistol.  the above places i listed usually would have had one by then.  if not then (2)are there any other settings in the custom game settings that affect the rifle or pistol availability other than yes or no?  like perhaps the other settings for resources? like i said prior the update using these same settings  didnt have this issue.

I seem to recall a post when the revolver came out listing 3 zones with guaranteed spawns.  I think it was DP, HRV and PV.  I've had good luck getting one in the lighthouse.  Also, the car in CH (before entering zone leading to DP) seems to have one most of the time.  Good luck!

17 hours ago, Simone Else said:

so my question is, (1) is there any place that is 100 % guaranteed to have a rifle/pistol.

The only place I know of that has a 100% chance of a rifle spawn is the main building in Hibernia. Keep in mind that there are multiple spawn locations, with one of them being hidden behind some crates. 

I personally think there are no 100% guaranteed spawns of anything.  Even before the update, I had a few Pilgrim starts in DP, for instance, where there was no rifle in the main building.  It would then be elsewhere in the zone (sometimes Scruffy's cave and sometimes at the Church).  I had started in MT where therre was no revolver under the bed in Gray Mother's house; and again, I would eventually find it somewhere else within that zone.  I was doing these starts in different zones just for the sake of trying to determine where the guns might spawn 100% of the time.  I had failures to spawn in all of them.  In Mystery Lake, I had one Pilgrim start where the only gun that spawned was in the Prepper Cache; but that is the only start I had where at least one of the guns did not spawn somewhere outside of a Prepper Cache in that zone.  In ML, I often find a rifle under the bridge that leads to the dam and I notice you didn't have that location in your list, so you might want to look there.

I also think that the amount of loot in general (at least on Pilgrim) has been reduced in this last update, so it's not surprising there are also fewer guns lying around.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Guest jeffpeng
4 hours ago, _mono_no_aware_ said:

Low Baseline Resource availability

That at least used to mean Interloper loot tables. Which did not contain rifles - even if you enabled rifles. Not 100% sure about revolvers. Haven't found one on Interloper yet, even tho the Custom Template for Interloper now has Revolvers "Yes". But I could very much believe that this is an oversight - so that Revolvers in "Yes" ... but they still aren't in the loot tables. 

Edit: Looked it up - yes, it exists in Interloper, albeit rare.

Still: Low Baseline means no Rifles.

Edited by jeffpeng

12 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I also think that the amount of loot in general (at least on Pilgrim) has been reduced in this last update, so it's not surprising there are also fewer guns lying around.

I'm having the same impression. I've been mostly a Pilgrim explorer since I started playing the game in mid-2018, and in my recent explorations after the introduction of Bleak Inlet I'm finding less stuff in containers. Or nothing at all. Empty metal containers, empty file cabinets, empty desk drawers, empty lockers (even those you need to prise open, grrr) seem to be more common than before. 

• Upvote 1

i realize there isnt going to be a rifle in all those spots i checked, but i should have found one by now. i never did find one in that particular game, so i started a new one, and didnt change any options just a new game and i found both in milton in the grey mothers house.  lol i dunno maybe i had a bugged game.