wolves ignore decoys

mayimbe

Hi, can someone help me? I don't know if decoys are any use I drop them a piece of meat, and they don't turn around or go for it. They directly ignore it and attack me. My question is, it has to be raw, I have to be more distant from the lure or near the lure, or I don't even have to wear a lure because they don't work. If there is any video or you can write me how to do it, I would appreciate it.

Were you dropping the decoy to get away or to kill the wolf?  The behavior changed not too long ago so wolves no longer blindly walk to the decoy.  If you aim a weapon at the wolf as it approaches the decoy, it will either run away or attack.  The decoy itself hasn't changed, as far as I know.  It can be raw or cooked meat, uncured guts, or rabbit carcasses.  Anything that drops to the ground when you press the decoy key/button.

The mechanics should be the same - drop the decoy when the wolf "locks on" to you.  I think there is still a chance the wolf will ignore the decoy, but you should usually hear a difference and see a difference in its walk when it's going for the decoy.

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

¿Estabas soltando el señuelo para escapar o matar al lobo? El comportamiento cambió no hace mucho tiempo, por lo que los lobos ya no caminan ciegamente al señuelo. Si apuntas con un arma al lobo cuando se acerca al señuelo, huirá o atacará. El señuelo en sí no ha cambiado, que yo sepa. Puede ser carne cruda o cocida, tripas no curadas o canales de conejo. Todo lo que cae al suelo cuando presiona la tecla / botón señuelo.

La mecánica debería ser la misma: suelta el señuelo cuando el lobo "te encierre". Creo que todavía existe la posibilidad de que el lobo ignore el señuelo, pero por lo general debería escuchar una diferencia y ver una diferencia en su caminar cuando se trata del señuelo.

hello if I loose the lure when I see a wolf growl, I never run away from a wolf attack. but I started a new game in which I have been almost thirty days and since the last update the only thing wolves do is ignore the decoy and attack me.

@jeffpeng, Yeah, its always a bad sign when a change to your game causes a lot of people to think your game is bugged instead of an intentional change. Not everyone reads patchnotes and wikis.

I never use baiting but this function is totally strange since mechanically you can use baiting to drop aggro and pick the food item back up while sneaking and get out of there. Or simply use bait as a distraction until you get your stamina back up to grab the decoy and run. 

I never agreed with using decoys to hunt but I also think this working as a "get out of jail free card" is not the right approach. Why can't the wolf charge the bait from an angle and snatch it mid run?

Nice video btw, great demonstration.

Edited by MarrowStone

13 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Just recorded this because I was recording something else about a different issue. Yes, baiting is broken.

Thanks for the video!  I never noticed this behavior before yesterday - never had a wolf walk away from a decoy like that, even in Errant Pilgrim.  Since starting a new game yesterday, it's happening every time for me now.

Guest jeffpeng
3 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Yeah, its always a bad sign when a change to your game causes a lot of people to think your game is bugged instead of an intentional change. Not everyone reads patchnotes and wikis.

I know this change was sort-of intended. But as it currently works .... it "doesn't work". I can see how this is hard to actually get right, but maybe get a solution right and then replace the old solution that .... actually kinda worked.

I never agreed with using decoys to hunt but I also think this working as a "get out of jail free card" is not the right approach. Why can't the wolf charge the bait from an angle and snatch it mid run?

That would work! Actually .... the best way to do that would probably be that the wolf sprints to the decoy, picks it up, and sprints away in a zigzag. If you manage to headshot THAT ..... well then you've earned it.

Nice video btw, great demonstration.

Thank you :-) I'm usually not comfortable talking English on "documented sources". 

13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks for the video!  I never noticed this behavior before yesterday - never had a wolf walk away from a decoy like that, even in Errant Pilgrim.  Since starting a new game yesterday, it's happening every time for me now.

How this new game /old game behaviour is explained ... I don't know. Possibly the old code still exists, but new games have a switch to enable it? No idea. Just guesswork, but that's how I can make some limited sense out of it.

Edited by jeffpeng

6 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Thank you 🙂 I'm usually not comfortable talking English on "documented sources". 

Judging from your writing and that i would've never guess you were ESL. I noticed an accent but I couldn't place where it was from. Overall you were very easy to understand.

I have an idea, maybe they could recycle the timbedwolves' circle-and-charge action on the bait? Then theyd follow through and run off away from the player. 

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

I have an idea, maybe they could recycle the timbedwolves' circle-and-charge action on the bait? Then theyd follow through and run off away from the player. 

I guess that would work.

I mean the main intention behind this is that decoys aren't useable anymore to get easy hits on wolves. Your solution would still allow that since you need to be resonable far away from the wolf to make it even work, and then hitting a moving target from that distance ..... is harder than actually hunting a wolf from distance that has not yet seen you.

Edited by jeffpeng

From my experience, the distance you must take from the bait has increased.

I like the fact that it is less predictable than before, the wolf may attack, turn back, take the bait.

Before, once you had a bow and baits, wolves where way too easy and predictable. It was a challenge killer for me.

I also like that they do not pointlessly charge and get stuck under the tree you're on getting shot one by one.

I find the wolves more challenging now.

Well, what I'm talking about is not about the video, but that they ignore the bait completely and keep on going past the bait and attacking me, I've been around for thirty days and every time I face a wolf I always end up very badly hurt I did several tests in several games but since version 1.67 they ignore the bait and always attack, and I don't know what to do anymore, I'm about to return to an earlier version.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, mayimbe said:

Well, what I'm talking about is not about the video, but that they ignore the bait completely and keep on going past the bait and attacking me, I've been around for thirty days and every time I face a wolf I always end up very badly hurt I did several tests in several games but since version 1.67 they ignore the bait and always attack, and I don't know what to do anymore, I'm about to return to an earlier version.

Well you need to be pretty damn far away from the decoy. I guess that much is established. How far ... I can't really tell at the moment. Nobody is really sure how much of this is intended, how much of this is a bug, since we have no official stance on this, and it was not properly included in patch notes. In my opinion the entire Wolf AI is a dumpsterfire since Crossroads Elegy.

3 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Bueno, necesitas estar bastante lejos del señuelo. Supongo que eso está establecido. Qué tan lejos ... realmente no puedo decir en este momento. Nadie está realmente seguro de cuánto de esto se pretende, cuánto de esto es un error, ya que no tenemos una postura oficial sobre esto, y no se incluyó correctamente en las notas del parche. En mi opinión, todo el Wolf AI es un basurero desde Crossroads Elegy.

True, the wolves were better before, if it could be easier to kill them with a headshot but at least it was a good defense for us, a bait and a shot. We already have a lot of difficulty cold, hostile fauna, hunger, thirst. The bait was like a respite for us from such hostility.

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, mayimbe said:

True, the wolves were better before, if it could be easier to kill them with a headshot but at least it was a good defense for us, a bait and a shot. We already have a lot of difficulty cold, hostile fauna, hunger, thirst. The bait was like a respite for us from such hostility.

Don't get me wrong: I was always one of those that criticised the decoy baiting system for being too easy, too binary. But the state it is now in it's not functioning for it's giving purpose (having a way for players to drop aggro of a wolf and get the hell out), and it also is exploitable as I demonstrated.

I just jumped into a Stalker game and what the heck is wrong with the wolves? They see me through hills and i cant lose aggro on them by walking behind stuff like I used to.

I met up with a wolf halfway down  the hill for the mystery lake lookout tower? It didn't see me beforehand but it must've smelled me a long distance away... 

Twice I've been harvesting a carcass with a fire right next to me and had a wolf attack me. 

A wolf took my decoy actually, but did nothing about it and kept walking towards me.

Successfully hitting them with a revolver doesn't break their charges. 

Trying to be as sneaky as possible, the journal states i had 78 wolf close encounters, in just 18 days... Just what has transpired in the year or so since i left Stalker for Voyageur? 

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2019 at 1:31 PM, jeffpeng said:

Just recorded this because I was recording something else about a different issue. Yes, baiting is broken.

I wish I could get this to happen.  Instead, whether I run away, stand and watch, aim a weapon, don't aim a weapon......the wolf ALWAYS acts as if the decoy was never dropped.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 12/17/2019 at 11:38 AM, MarrowStone said:

Trying to be as sneaky as possible, the journal states i had 78 wolf close encounters, in just 18 days... Just what has transpired in the year or so since i left Stalker for Voyageur? 

Didn't take the year. Just two consecutive Updates (Crossroads Elegy and Errant Pilgrim) of "fixing exploits". I'm still not a sure what of this is intentional, what of it is a bug, what of it the devs simply don't see since they probably don't even playtest the game. But how would anyone know since there are no changelogs about this, just vage bits and pieces here and there. Honestly .... for someone just playing the game and not reading the forums or comments on steam ..... I'd be wondering what the heck was going on. You simply cannot change core mechanics like that unannounced. I might even argue you cannot change them like that period.

Guest jeffpeng
22 minutes ago, DirtyMadcap said:

I wish I could get this to happen.  Instead, whether I run away, stand and watch, aim a weapon, don't aim a weapon......the wolf ALWAYS acts as if the decoy was never dropped.

You carry any other "smellies" ? Any other ... variables that factor into the equation?

17 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

You carry any other "smellies" ? Any other ... variables that factor into the equation?

Before Errant, I was in the habit of carrying 2 small bits of rotten/rotting meat to use as decoys when things got sketchy.  My scent was zero....I rarely carry meat as food source for myself because I am such a neophyte when fighting wolves and didn't want to attract them.

So that's how I roll......but it's not working anymore, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
40 minutes ago, DirtyMadcap said:

My scent was zero....

Then I really don't know what I am doing differently from you. This is frustrating. Really .... short of reverse engineering the game (which has become pretty damn improbable last thing I heard) there is no way to actually figure this out. That's the problem with "ninja changing" core mechanics. Nobody really knows what's intended and what's a bloody bug.