Harvesting existing ammunition

hozz1235

As part of the Gunsmithing skill, we can harvest existing rifle and revolver rounds.  Seeing as how when you do harvest (if at lvl 5 GS) you have a 100% chance to receive a casing, .02 lbs of gunpowder and a bullet.  These are the exact ingredients to make a round.  This begs the question, why would I ever harvest?  The only thing I can think of is if I had an abundance of revolver rounds (which I do) and I need some extra powder.  Even then, I would still need the rifle bullet and casing to make a rifle round!

Actually, I did find a small use for this.  While making revolver rounds at lvl 4 gunsmithing to get to lvl 5, the 18 rounds I made were at 80%.  Once I hit lvl 5, I was able to harvest those 18 80% rounds.  So when I revisit the shop, I can use those mats to make 100% rounds.

you can make your own black powder and cast more slugs by salvaging lead from car batteries. presumeably the intent is keep the brass and make your own cartridges after running out of factory made ammo. breaking down perfectly good ammo just seems counter productive.