As The Dead Sleep progress

Guest jeffpeng

oops 43 hours

Every body is reducing the time but the challenge records the longest time.

Maybe the challenge could be tweaked. All graves are displayed and we choose the first to visit.  Once the first grave is touched then this removes the site form the list.  The map clears and the next grave site does not appear until twenty days later. Then a random cross location chosen from the list appears on the map.  After that grave is visited and the cycle repeats.  This should make the challenge, after visiting the five graves, at least one hundred days in length.  Or use a week per grave and then it becomes a thirty five day challenge.

Edited by Ice Hole
24+19=43

Guest jeffpeng
On 12/25/2019 at 5:15 AM, Joe Buckley said:

Okay, I just had to go again... Now I'm done for sure! Videos with narration this time to follow... Merry Christmas Everyone :)

Wow .... that's certainly below what I thought possible. I will give that vid a look after the holidays. I'm very interested to see how you pulled that one off ^^

Edit: one a different note: I'm pretty certain that's not how the devs thought this challenge would turn out :D 

Edited by jeffpeng

29 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

one a different note: I'm pretty certain that's not how the devs thought this challenge would turn out :D 

I'm probably not up to date, but was the Deadman Challenge a speed run of a kind or was it about surviving as long as possible? I'd thought it was the second one.

If I am right, then speedrunning this challenge is contradicting what the Deadman Challenge was all about. Maybe someone should try and survive 100 (or more) days until completing this challenge by visiting the last grave? Maybe that's why the longest time is being recorded in this challenge?

PS-I'd love to see the vids of the speedruns as soon as I find some time. I've already started yesterday. There is so much to learn from it. So thanks for posting them!

Edited by atomic

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, atomic said:

I'm probably not up to date, but was the Deadman Challenge a speed run of a kind or was it about surviving as long as possible? I'd thought it was the second one.

If I am right, then speedrunning this challenge is contradicting what the Deadman Challenge was all about. Maybe someone should try and survive 100 (or more) days until completing this challenge by visiting the last grave?

PS-I'd love to see the vids of the speedruns as soon as I find some time. I've already started yesterday. There is so much to learn from it. So thanks for posting them!

Well the original Deadman Setting was just a Custom Game with everthing cranked to max and the objective was to survive 30 days. Now ... well they put an objective to reach certain locations into it and timed it - so .... I guess making it in the best time possible is on the table.

If you just wanted to survive as long as possible .... there isn't that much of a point in this challenge, imho, over playing real deaman. A few important rules are different: a lot of the settings are easier, while non-hostile wildlife is mostly absent, which will make surviving more than.... 30 days hinge heavily on getting a bow early and then eat a lot of predator meat, which will result in at least one instance of parasites (well, unless you mince-meat your way to Cooking V) but I guess it's doable. But .... I'd rather play a real deadman for that.

image.thumb.png.7f0fac122c86145ff961e6a8526dafe1.png

I completed the challenge a few days after it came out, I wrote like a 5 pager I wanted to post, but Hinterland didn't approve my forum account for like 2 weeks, so anything I had to say is totally outdated at this point.  I wasn't speed running the attempt, obviously, but in retrospect, the longer you last the harder it is, so maybe my run isn't totally worthless.  I believe I posted the longest run so far, haha.  I didn't see any live herbivores so was thinking long term survival was not really an option.  but many have reported live bunnies in Milton Basin, I didn't go through there.

Anyone last longer yet?  

Anyway, what an awesome game!  I learned a lot of shortcuts watching the speedruns, looking forward to trying my own speed run when I get some time to crank it out.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 9:28 PM, atomic said:

On 12/27/2019 at 9:39 PM, jeffpeng said:

Well the original Deadman Setting was just a Custom Game with everthing cranked to max and the objective was to survive 30 days.

Yes, the actual Deadman Challenge was about surviving 30 days. Once several people had managed that, the push was on to see how long it was possible to survive. IIRC, Kimiota has pushed it out past 100 days.

Guest jeffpeng
8 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Yes, the actual Deadman Challenge was about surviving 30 days. Once several people had managed that, the push was on to see how long it was possible to survive. IIRC, Kimiota has pushed it out past 100 days.

It has been pushed past 100 multiple times by quite a few people. Maybe now birchbark tea can be remove we will see more "true" deadman again.

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

It has been pushed past 100 multiple times by quite a few people. Maybe now birchbark tea can be remove we will see more "true" deadman again.

I figured by now it would have been.. but Kimiota was the first.. I know TheDeadp00l has done it.. but I haven't watched many Deadman runs in quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 5:15 AM, Joe Buckley said:

image.png.f506e2b7299f7367eb8445d2d9058f7c.png

Okay, I just had to go again... Now I'm done for sure! Videos with narration this time to follow... Merry Christmas Everyone :)

Great time and run!

I am now at 2d and 2h. I guess best time possible will be around 1 Day 16 Hours or so.

My route was different with that time, I went back from Ravine, crossed the dam and went through PV. Radio tower, farmhouse, TVM

I try now also the route that everybody else is taking, but I have a lot of bad luck with the weather and just too many blizzards.

Edited by Goodzilla
  • Upvote 1

Great run @Goodzilla, I am glad that someone is still pushing this further! I too tried the switch from ravine across the dam to TWM and finishing in DP. I've spent a long time trying to work out which route is quicker...

In both you have to do TWM-> DP, its a question of whether ravine to TWM or ravine to DP is quicker... One advantage of ravine to TWM is that you can pick up the extra stim from the barn in PV, I thought that this would be significant, until I realised that you can't fully use the stim in the lighthouse because you are already too near the last grave to get a full kick from it.

I'm sorry you've had bad luck with the weather, it really is a huge factor and I was very lucky with my record run. As you can imagine, there were many other runs where I didn't get the luck...

Keep going though man, I hope you nail 1 day 16 hours, that would be absolutely amazing!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Joe Buckley said:

Hope you are recording, if you do it, I would LOVE to watch you.

I only recorded a few speedruns for Hopeless rescue and Whiteout but I am totally beginner in recording and it takes a lot of work to me.
Also I am only playing about 1,5 to 2 h in the evening.

20 hours ago, Joe Buckley said:

can pick up the extra stim from the barn in PV

I did not really know this! Can you tell me in which barn and where exactly please!  I used to find coffee, brewed 5 or 6 on same time in the farm house and used it for the climb to TWM. (btw you can climb the TWM rope with only one coffee if you are light enough!!)

I never found a stim in PV before, but I only checked the radio tower, the farm house and the crashed airplane.

I just thought that the way all through ravine + the whole CH from upper left to right bottom, is longer than dam + PV.... but now I want to try the other way round.

At the moment I am pushing my heart a lot, means make as less fires as possible.

Yes, its all about stopping as little as possible... freezing with warmth buff is standard... I'm not sure if its a guaranteed spawn, the stim in the barn, maybe someone else can confirm. The time I found it was in the truck, but maybe I was just very lucky... there is a list somewhere online of all the stim locations, can't remember if Barn was on it...

@Joe Buckley  

I finished it a few days ago with the other route (end in TWM) I also had 2 days 2 hours and a few less minutes than the other way. I was very unlucky with blizzards and I needed both last stims to survive. So I had no stim at all in front to TWM. I dropped everything except my last warm bonus and climbed up the rope with about only 3,5kg. With the stop at the ledge, where I took my warmth bonus and waited a bit to recover my climbing hands I made it up without any coffee.

In the mean time I also found the stim in the barn in other runs (there are three possible places). However to go to the barn and then back down again to the way up to the crushed airplane is quite detour.

I prefer the way through PV much more, because it is much saver with wolves than CH, but I am afraid that the other way might be faster.

Started a new run yesterday and could no more use the shortcut in BI!?

Was there a update? I never saw something like this from Hinterland.

There are so many shortcuts in the game, and this is the first time they changed something on the territory to make a short cut impossible.

Anybody else recognized this?

6 hours ago, Goodzilla said:

Started a new run yesterday and could no more use the shortcut in BI!?

Was there a update? I never saw something like this from Hinterland.

There are so many shortcuts in the game, and this is the first time they changed something on the territory to make a short cut impossible.

Anybody else recognized this?

Yes I noticed that update.  Shared a screenshot of a goat victory over that scrub. 

Did you know goats eat scrubs.  That was sort of a clue.  Not sure but that was kind of an awful clue.  On the topic of landscaping I find it disheartening.  Seen loads of changes.  Had a goat path up TWM and it was altered.  Was fun finding another route but I am concerend with sharing it again.   Unless the Wintermute story can explain why invisible fences have appeared I am totally disillusioned with the whole idea of blocked off routes.  The deathwalls are another oddity.  There is one in Coastal Highway by the train loading that is not a steep fall in fact there is no falling just walking and boom deathwall.  Wondering why staying on a linear path is so important to the devs.

here I could have made it under 2 days.

I was almost dead entering DP where my last cross was waiting to be visited, I decided to get the stim in the lighthouse to survive but unfortunately got a sprain when jumping down to the road.... almost made it ...but just almost

20200122200137_1.jpg

20200122200121_1.jpg

6 hours ago, Goodzilla said:

You still can go there through the scrubs? If so, can you let us know how you do it?

Yes the scrub brush can be passed through.  Issue is if I reveal how it is done then it is likely that "seismic activity" will change the landscape.