As The Dead Sleep progress

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng
25 minutes ago, Joe Buckley said:

I think it'll be quicker than trying to make it up in coffee by searching

The only coffee I found was sitting right there in the outside part of the MYard. So I didn't actually search for it. And right, the guaranteed cup in the Milton Bank. And I guess it would be most efficient to sleep before using coffee, at least one, better 2 hours, but here's the question: Do you actually regain those 2 hours sprinting away your fatigue bar with coffee? don't think so. You definitively don't regain them from just walking with 15-20 kilo of gear. So I guess hour-in-a-cup it is.

Thinking of it.... where else would you find coffee before you make the climb from Milton to ML? At Orca I don't recall finding coffee on Interloper like ever. The other houses in Milton are more or less all random, and bad at that.

Shuffling up the order in which you do the crosses doesn't help either because.... well, PV is PV, and having to cross it twice is an instant slow-run, so any run "must" end in TWM - which basically dictates the order of the rest. 

So .... let's assume we don't find coffee. And assume we are not lucky in the MYard breaking the crate. Would going to the Lodge and back yield any positive return? I don't think so. I don't think you can do that in 4 hours or less. That's really the cost of not having that stim: four hours or sleep, three if you wanna chance falling down the rope. But since we don't wanna waste a good sub 3 day run on chancing an hour .... let's stick with 4.

Also what I just realized ... you wanna go into the MYard for the lamp fuel. So no turning heels after the cross, no matter the weather.

I guess .... the only way to shake this up if there would be a guaranteed spawn for a stim or coffee at the cannery.

Edited by jeffpeng

3 hours no coffee is no way for that rope. 5 hours no coffee I arrived at the top with a fraction energy left. So 5 hours, or 4 with a cup of coffee. I'd been trying the stim at the crash, from grey mothers I think its a 3-4 hour round trip. (probably 4...). but 3-4 hours for a guaranteed stim vs 1.5 hours for a 50/50. 50% of the time Maintenance is 2+hours better. I think at 45 minutes into the game is as good as it gets...

Great point about the can of fuel. I hadn't thought of it, but if you have the weight space it would save a chunk of time starting fires.... 

Edited by Joe Buckley

Guest jeffpeng
3 minutes ago, Joe Buckley said:

3 hours no coffee is no way for that rope.

3 hours + 1 coffee from the bank. I did that and suceeded, I did that and failed. So ... yeah, 4 hours.

5 minutes ago, Joe Buckley said:

I hadn't thought of it, but if you have the weight space it would save a chunk of time starting fires.... 

I think you make the space. Even with a book (which is heavy in itself) failing at 80% is still a fail.

Yeah, I wonder how long the whole firstarting cycle is... i'm guessing 5 minutes?  There must be some math you could do to work out the average time it would take you to start a fire (at 60%), and its gonna be somewhere between 6-8 minutes I'd guess. if you light 15 fires in a game (?maybe) that's 1.5-2hours. Vs like 1 minute per fire with accelerant...

Edited by Joe Buckley

Guest jeffpeng

6 minutes normally, 1 minute with accellerant. So if you assume 60% success, and that our fire fails at around 50% if it fails, that's 6 minutes + 0,4 * 3 minutes = 7,2 minutes not taking into account multiple failures (crude math, but it's 6 am here :D). That means you need a total of 10 accellerants or 3 liters to save one hour. But you also have to keep in mind that it saves you 6 minutes of potential freezing, so actually 2 full % of health, which might not be a big argument on it's own (edit: but could maybe yield you an hour of "free" freezing at the end). So while I would not get out of my way to get some (like in the Ravine) I will take it if there is an overall advantage at the location anyways (free beverage, possibly even a cup coffee, one, maybe 2 cans of heatable food, free toilet water, safe warm up, coal, etc). Plus there is at least one confirmed possible spawn for a can coffee in plain sight in the outer part.

So I guess my ruling is in favor of entering the MYard in any case after all.

Edited by jeffpeng

11 hours ago, jeffpeng said:
13 hours ago, Joe Buckley said:

Also didn't find the stim in Cinders, its normally on the shelf behind the wire fence in the second room right?

Either there or on the platform right when you come from the staircase. But there must be another spawn point.

Third place is in the room just before you leave the cave. There is a box on a shelfe and the stim is on the left side of that box.

Just died to the bear by misty rivers, I was at 2 days 9 hours when he struck... quite annoying, I got a flare gun flare off right in his face at 30 yards but he still charged.... 

But even so I don't think I would have beaten 2 days 10 hours.. Rope and schlep on to timberwolf... but it was within range... :) 

I did maintenance, but no luck with the stim, i did find a tin of coffee in the bank, turned things round... I drank all seven coffees, which was a mistake, I think 4-5 are enough to go up the rope, and then the other 2-3 can extend the energy you have. I ran out of coffee buff with 25% energy left... 

Other than that, bad blizzard on coastal, but some good weather before that...

Edited by Joe Buckley

Guest jeffpeng

I feel like 2 days 6 hours is around the theoretical minimum unless there is some kind of strategy nobody thought of yet. If it were possible to somehow glitch up to the ravine from Bleak Inlet, that would open up a few new possibilites, for example. Also this challenge got a bit harder with 1.69 with removing the double-water bug when drinking medicinal tea that has no effect - and it will get even harder once they figure out that teas and coffee also restore double the amount of warmth they are supposed to.

Edited by jeffpeng

btw @jeffpeng I've finished the challenge yesterday, slow and steady. I went to the lighthouse in DP to check, the stim was there. And there was nothing else...

Here's the safe path if you'd like to give it a try

a 'clear' path is visible, starting from the ice in the center of the screen, going upward to the left in the middle of the rocks
screen_f0752ad6-2614-42e3-a9fd-97597d0e5c14.thumb.png.136240d6021b3244bed234049c53357e.png

here you go up, the only tricky part, be sure to get to the highest point possible
screen_f03c21c3-649d-44d6-a137-9704434adcde.thumb.png.643c7d23af83e722558b869bd61f21fd.png

there you shall pass
screen_9af1b8c4-8b0b-4f3c-90e8-f324f07b3d01.thumb.png.9f6191c74c6eeeb539e211fa2a4ff84d.png

there you shall arrive
screen_eda97437-7981-4fce-ad59-841c046ab088.thumb.png.13a56b9751c9603a2a48a97282131903.png

Edited by LkP
damn spoiler tags

On 12/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, jeffpeng said:

Just realised that those lyrics were from a Hollies Song

Great progress on speedrunning.

Watching kimiota stream then seeing Battery on the work bench has set things in motion,  Tried a few times and did not see a battery in BI or the Maintenance Yard/building in BRR.  So continued to the Hunters lodges and sure enough Battery is here.

598790967_screen_(38244460)_cdb97f7e-5b72-4852-a990-b6c6ae16af41.thumb.png.09c242ad20ab023b9675aa620d4985f5.png

The added weight is going to slow me down.  So being well fed and obtaining a moose satchel might be the way to alleviate the burden. 

Guest jeffpeng
37 minutes ago, Joe Buckley said:

image.png.3ffd65f699203119124764acadd8914f.png 

Finally :) I have it all recorded and will post the vids, maybe we can find a way to shave it down below 2 days!

Freeze me sideways :D ggwp