As The Dead Sleep progress

Guest jeffpeng

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I haven't seen a single one in two playthroughs.

Maybe they're just super super rare, and I was lucky enough to get rabbits, and unlucky enough to get moosed in the face.  Or maybe I had a bugged game, dunno.  I'm not going back to check!  That style of play is not really my speed.

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

Maybe they're just super super rare, and I was lucky enough to get rabbits, and unlucky enough to get moosed in the face.  Or maybe I had a bugged game, dunno.

Not saying your info is false. Just that I would consider myself an extreme outlier if I was the one dude not getting rabbits. Maybe they indeed are rare, or even limited to certain locations. The calorie consumption conforms to no specific difficulty setting, who knows what they did with the spawn rates and spawn points. I "missed" a few wolves at points where I certainly expected them as well. Then again going from the Camp Office to the Dam via Southers Access and Alan's Cave I met a total of 5 wolves, something I cannot remember happening to me on Interloper before. 

5 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I'm not going back to check!  That style of play is not really my speed.

For me personally it was a nice change in pace, and I actually learned a lot. But it's nothing to "enjoy" in a sense how you would enjoy a good massage. You definitively need a more than just latent tendency masochism.

Guest jeffpeng

Ah I see. Still GGWP to the streamer. Gotta watch it later to compare routes.

Edit: Okay, skipping through it the route is almost verbatim the same. But that guy pushed his survivor to the brink, hell.

Edited by jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

So we're down to just over 3 Days :D 

Interesting to see how his and my playstyle are basically identical, but he is just willing to take damage, while I'm still too much stuck in my long-term survival mindset, and I use fires just that much more often to warm up. But I'd recommend anyone giving this a view. Lot's of interesting things to learn for a lot of people I guess.

Edited by jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

So, after botching two runs in FM (fell through ice, both times -.-), I got one reasonably far. I had planned to bring the rope from the climb out of Milton to ML to climb down to the Ravine, but simply forgot, and only realized when I was already at the climb - and at that point aborted the run. But .... I was 1 day 15 hours in. Not sure if that was anywhere near a candidate for below 3 days, but it was a hell of a lot faster than my previous attempts. So ... I guess 4 days is "rather easily" feasible. 3 days .... I'd have to have more luck with coffee, I guess, less blizzards (all the way from BR to HRV was basically one big snow storm with blizzards and not-yet-blizzards alternating) and finding the stim in the MYard would really really help.

Up to that point I had slept a total of 4 hours, one in the BI / FM transition cave, three in the Milton Farm to dodge part of the blizzard (with very limited success). With about 80% health I would have been mostly back to full after the Ravine. And that with only finding something to cover my head in the trailer before HRV (no luck with Sewing Kits ...) So ... yeah, 4 days is very doable.

Edited by jeffpeng

That sounds about a lot of bad luck!

I thought there is always a rope in the ravine, either in the railcar or on the other side in the cave?

I finished the mission yesterday the first time with 12 days and some hours and I will start soon my next run and I will try to be under 5-6 days.

Can you tell me all spawns for the emergency stims?

I only found two in my first run.

Ravine in the wagon

Radio Tower in PV

Thx in advance

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
9 hours ago, Goodzilla said:

Can you tell me all spawns for the emergency stims?

The stims I pick up on my runs are:

• In the crate in the MYard in BR - it's not guaranteed but it's worth spending the 1.5 hours for the chance of it being there. If it's not there you're out of luck as your next best option is in the hunting lodge. For a speedrun probably too much of a detour. Still: not finding it will cost you at least 3 hours of sleep when climbing out of milton except you find quite a bit of coffee.
  • Marsh ridge in the little cavelet left of the climb to Milton Basin
  • Ravine
  • Cinder Mills Mine (CH/PV transition Cave)

Optionally you can also pick up the stim from the lighthouse in DP, but I skip that one since I don't wanna mess with the wolf. But it would technically cost almost 0 time. So maybe I should actually pick that one up.

Stims I would 100% skip are (when going my route):

• Milton at the plane crash
  • Ravine in Broken Railroad
  • Barn in PV
  • Summit in TWM
Edited by jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

screen_134f342b-afdc-4885-9174-2cdc805f2970.thumb.png.e666bdc3551013770ea852d8b10f920d.png

I guess this time I really rest my case.

Had no luck with the stim in the MYard again, but this time at least a can of coffee plus the coffee from the bank. I somehow missed the stim in Cinder Mills, at which point it was good I got the one from the lighthouse.

With winds in my face all the way from Cinder Mill to the Hut in TWM and me missing a stim I guess this could be improved by another 3 or 4 hours, and I'm sure really good players will improve on that even more eventually. But I had an almost perfect run until I entered Cinder Mills, so I guess I take that and retire from this challenge with a not totally terrible record. 😉 

That's a great great time @Jeffpeng, I just did 3 days 1 hour... Also didn't find the stim in Cinders, its normally on the shelf behind the wire fence in the second room right? Had to detour via the barn since I had to use the lighthouse stim on CH in the mother of all blizzards. I lost 8 hours in total on the milton->mystery lake rope. I slept 3 and didn't make it so then I slept 5 and did. And I had to sleep 3 more hours in CH just to get a fire off with no freezing damage because I was on the staggers already. Did the whold of PV on the staggers, until the well-fed buff kicked in like a miracle! So much fun.... I have it all recorded, but, no cigar, 3rd place of the runs i know!image.png.1aff189f82231807c8598c5f56559edd.png

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Joe Buckley said:

Also didn't find the stim in Cinders, its normally on the shelf behind the wire fence in the second room right?

Either there or on the platform right when you come from the staircase. But there must be another spawn point.

1 hour ago, Joe Buckley said:

I have it all recorded, but, no cigar, 3rd place of the runs i know!

I actually thought about making a recorded run. It's kinda hard for me to do in one go since .... kids, you know. 🙄 Not sure the audience would appreciate my son off mic stating "Daddy can you put on Pokemon for me? Also I gotta take a dump." in German :D 

Plus .... I'm not really doing this for competition, other than maybe with myself. I think everyone beating this deserves a cigar - notwithstanding that you shouldn't smoke them. I'm sure a lot of people could do it if they put their minds to it, since it seriously isn't that hard to just not sleep a lot (I think I did a total of 3 hours) :D And it's a hell of RNG and mine was seriously good. Not with the stims, but everything lined up perfectly up until I entered The Valley Of The Damned.

I had clean sailing through FM the first time I was there, great visibility so I didn't lose time getting lost in the muskeg. The wolves spawned preferably in BR, and coming back from the MYard I was caught in a blizzard, but had the winds at my back the whole time. The weather cleared just as I got back to FM, and I had luck with a near collision with a wolf in the Basin - as it was just enough to eventually walk it off. Milton and HRV was again clean sailing with just a bit of winds coming back to Milton, which was a breeze all the way to the Camp Office. Things got a bit dicy with thick fog when I was leaving the lake overlook, but I managed to find my way without much time loss. From the Ravine through CH, DP and CH again it was ridiculously mild weather - I didn't even need to tea up coming back from DP.

In either case amazing time! GGWP.

Edited by jeffpeng

Know what you mean about competitive, but I like knowing that others are out there schlepping through the blizzards too, and knowing how others are doing inspires me to go further... Out of interest, why the lake overlook? I know the rope is close to ravine, but its an extra slog vs taking the rope in HRV by the grave or even forlorn cave to overlook... And out of curiosity, why did you sleep the three hours you did? 

Really really good time man, sure RNG and all that but still. I know how to bring mine down to 2days 14 hours, but the rest, its all in the details... Great Job.

Guest jeffpeng

My previous plan was to pick up the rope from leaving Milton. But then I thought .... 5 kilograms extra costs me maybe some value speed, so why not cross terrain and go lake overlook instead. In all honesty I would probably take the Milton rope on another run. Risk vs Reward doesn't pan out for the Lake Overlook.

The 3 Hours I slept were ... 

• 1 Hour warming up, making water in the BI/FM Cave. If I have to wait 40 minutes doing nothing anyways I might as well sleep 1 hour.
  • 2 Hours before climbing out of Milton. I had no stim left (missing the one from the MYard), and three coffees. I was at that point with the previous run, also three coffees, and I had crashed down the rope.

So not getting the Stim from the MYard cost me 2 Hours. It would have cost me 4 if I hadn't had coffee.

This actually makes an interesting thought experiment: is wasting 1.5 hours of breaking the crate for a 50/50 (I think) chance of getting the stim and then saving 2-4 hours in Milton worth it? You could get lucky, pick up 2 cans of coffee, and that would totally negate that possible benefit. Just 1 can of coffee reduces that penalty to losing 2 hours instead of just 1.5. In the worst scenario you lose 4 hours, in a rather likely scenario you lose 2, in the best scenario you lose 1.5. Thinking about it this way probably skipping the crate in the MYard should be beneficial. At that point you might even skip the MYard altogether if weather permits and turn on your heels after ticking the cross.

Guest jeffpeng
5 minutes ago, spreerider said:

found 3 mackinaws and not a single hat besides crafted and a scarf, felt gloves only and only 1 pair of socks i started with. 

GGWP regardless :) 

9 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Optionally you can also pick up the stim from the lighthouse in DP, but I skip that one since I don't wanna mess with the wolf. But it would technically cost almost 0 time. So maybe I should actually pick that one up.

fyi, there's a way to climb to the lighthouse from below the 2nd bridge, so you don't have to cross the wolves path

gg guys for your runs !

Guest jeffpeng

Also other things I have been considering:

• All of my runs I ticked Spence's. But why, actually? Some coal, more matches and the off chance of maybe a Mackinaw in the safe. I think going straight to BR should save a few hours at the cost of some health. Matches could be a problem. Would require to enter MYard to stack up coal in any case.
  • Crafting a hat can usually be done while warming up at the Cannery Worker Residences. Crafting gloves however takes more time (because cloth x4) than I need for that. Most of the time you find some gloves in that house, but sometimes you don't. Is it worth to actually craft the gloves in that case? You will probably find gloves at some point anyways, and even if not .... it's not like a bit of frostbite will kill you.
  • Is searching kitchens actually worth it? The kitchens I searched in my run were: MYard, Paradise Meadows, Grey Mother's, Random House in Milton (hoping for more coffee), Misanthrope's. MYard seems worth it because you get 1 fee tea or coffee (usually tea), plus 1-2 cans, but actually searching containers isn't worth it, PM you get 2-3 cans in the Pantry, so no use searching the kitchen for more(?), Grey Mother's there's one guaranteed can, the cabinets were a bust in all game's, "searching" for coffee is prolly not worth it, and Misanthrope's was a bust, too. I had more than enough food left, anyways, and even if not: I ended the run at >70% health. I don't actually "need" food. (I was picking up cattails only for tinder, not food 🤣)
  • I guess the stim in the lighthouse is worth it in any case. You lose very little time, and as long as you have a flare left the wolf should be no problem.
  • Finding the 5th stim in Cinder Mills should be worth one or two hours if you spend it on the long way form Cinder Mills to the Abandoned Bunker - or for a final sprint to the cross in TWM.

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, LkP said:

fyi, there's a way to climb to the lighthouse from below the 2nd bridge, so you don't have to cross the wolves path

Hu. You never stop learning :D 

I only pit stop at Spence's, I don't do the safe, I think its worth it for the coal and matches and 2-3 bits of clothing. heat up my drinks... I haven't found a tin of coffee yet doing this run this way. Coffee does 2 things right, it gives you a ~5% energy boost, and also reduces energy loss for an hour afterward.. but how do you use it optimally, is it better to sleep first? or just treat each cup as an hours sleep in an cup.. not sure... agree with you on food and cupboards. I don't do any of them. agree about frostbite, hat and gloves optional, especially as it doesn't actually do you damage if your health is below where the red bar comes to. The thing with your coffee vs stim thought experiment is that if you get that first stim in maintenance yard, you can stop searching for anything else at that point, just go go go. I think it'll be quicker than trying to make it up in coffee by searching