Question about new region Bleak Inlet and new challenge As the Dead Sleep

Goodzilla

Hi @all

May someone help me to understand the new region.

I started the new challenge "As the Dead Sleep " in the broken lighthouse.

Is there only one exit from this lower part of this region? So far I found only that cave where you switch to Forlon Muskeg.

Or the other way round: How to go up to the radio tower and the lookout?

As I see it at the moment, I have to leave Bleak Inlet by the cave, walk from Forlon Muskeg to the broken Railroad and then go down to arrive on the upper level of Bleak Intel?

Thank you for your inputs

Edited by Goodzilla

20 hours ago, Hawk said:

Not Broken Railroad. You have to go to the Ravine, between ML and CH.

Thank you. Found it out now also by myselfe in Pilgrim.

However in the "As the Dead Sleep "  there is no rope on the wall, so the only exit from Bleak Inlet is the cave to Forlorn Muskeg.

Edited by Goodzilla

Guest jeffpeng
On 12/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, Goodzilla said:

the only exit from Bleak Inlet is the cave to Forlorn Muskeg.

That is correct.

Maybe a few hints to succeed at this. Some of this is typical Deadman wisdom, some of it is mostly relevant to As The Dead Sleep:

• Make hand and head wraps early
    You should find a sewing kit very early, and you have access to cloth at the Bleak Inlet's Cannery Worker Housings from curtains (can be seen from the light house)

• Avoid wolves
    If you know a spot that might have a wolf try to circumvent it. If a wolf tracks you keep walking until you find a place to hide. If you need to switch torches with a wolf in tow throw your current torch as far as you can, press 1 until you have a new torch in hand, sprint towards your burning torch, and reignite. You have that time.

• Use the terrain
    Even more important than it already is. Use objects like rocks and trees to "draft" to on your way and hide from the wind whenever you can. Sometimes a longer way is still the warmer way. Gain high ground when you can. Avoid approaching hilltops unless you are reasonable sure it's safe.

• Pace yourself
    Unless you are running through a storm and you cannot make camp running costs you usually more than it you gain from it. A notable exception from this will probably be your stay in Bleak Inlet. Until you have coal to stay warm running is probably better.

• Use fire
    Make fires frequently and early enough. Don't wait until you are freezing. Even just 5 minutes in the cold will cost you 2% health. You WILL find enough matches. If it's not too windy to sustain a torch you should always carry one. Use torches to start fires. Books are valuable to start a fire reliably. Coal is valuable to get a fire warm, and has the best weight/burntime ratio of all fuel. Cherish coal and keep as much on you as you can without overburdening yourself.

• Drink warm beverages
    Pick up all the Reishi and Rosehips you can. Don't save Rosehip tea, save only one Reishi for that bad can of dog food, and save 2 coffees for the eventual visit at the Ravine Basin. Warm up or cook at least 2 teas / coffees at the fire. Drink the first shortly after leaving the fire when you are still about 80% warm, the second one before it gets cold.

• Use weather to your advantage
    Don't go out in a blizzard, but use those times to sleep as much as you can to save calories and fix up your gear. Make strides when the weather is favorable, especially in the 6 hours between 2 and 8 pm. If the weather sucks and you can put in an hour of sleep at a warm place do so. If the weather is great but you are getting tired have a coffee.

• Use your time
    When you are waiting for a can of water to boil craft some tea. When you are cooking some tea craft some tea. Why you are cooking some deer and have an empty cooking plate use it to boil some water even if you don't need it right now - and craft some tea in the meantime. If you have nothing to do sleep. If you can't sleep fix your clothes. If you can't fix your clothes read about cooking or starting a fire - or craft some tea. Did I mention crafting tea?!

• Chose your looting grounds wisely
    Don't go out of your way to loot something. Loot where you can expect good loot, don't loot where you might waste half an hour for nothing. Check key loot locations if they are on your way anyways: The camp office, the Carter Dam, the Farmhouse in PV, the Mountaineer's Hut, The Community Hall, Quonset, the Lighthouse in DP, the Maintenance Yard in BR, Orca, the Bank and Grey Mother's in Milton. Kitchens are good in general as they almost always yield more calories than they cost to search. Toilet water is the best water you can get - because it's free. Don't make detours for cattails, but pick all cattails, Reishi and Rosehips that cross your path.

• Take what you need, leave what you don't
    Stay light footed. Don't overburden yourself if you can, never overburden yourself more than 5 kilograms. Every step you take encumbered costs you extra calories and extra time. Don't carry around things you don't need. You have no need for pelts or guts, no need for scrap metal or tool boxes, whetstones or hammers, saplings or gunsmithing ingredients, no need for more tools than one hacksaw and one pry bar. Books other than maybe one firestarting and one cooking book are just tinder. You need food, you need water, you need fuel and ignition, you need clothing.

• Use what you have
    Don't save things for a day that might never come (except maybe 1-2 coffees for the Ravine, and one Reishi Tea for Food Poisoning). When you have a long way ahead of you drink a coffee. When sleeping doesn't fit your schedule drink a coffee. When you sprain an ankle don't lose time wobbling around, bandage it right away. Don't run through a storm and risk freezing when you have flare in your backpack to mitigate that risk.

• Mind your diet
    Stay Well Fed! Don't risk losing it unless you are really, really short on food. Eat when your stomach is less than half full, drink when your thirst is less than half full. Leave some room in your stomach for when you find a deer carcass and it fits you to harvest it for meat. Eat the meat on the spot, or don't bother taking it. Leave some room with your hydration so you don't waste the water you get from tea and coffee. Cattails are the best food you can find. Eat everything else first - except canned food such as Beans and Tomato soup, eat those the first chance you have use for a warm meal. Don't chance food below 20% - it's not worth it, not even if you are starving.
Edited by jeffpeng

@jeffpeng 

Thank you very much for this useful summary, this might help many people to finish this challenge!

I am quite experienced in Speed running Hopleless Rescue and  Without, but I had almost zero experience with Interloper model.

I was short on matches the first three tries until I learned that you do not need matches to light wood torches. So since that I am no more short on matches.
The very first was to learn that health is not raising anymore, what changed my whole strategy.

Yesterday I looted the whole dam, and I found only 1 tee, one glove and one cereal bar, so not worth it at all!! But in some outside places (wagons) there is very good loot.

I just play 1,5 to 2 hours in the evening, so I will need some more days to finish it (if I survive), which is my first target, later on I will concentrate on speed running it.

Thanky again

Someone else also asked me if this is true.

I am 99% sure I could do this in the beginning, I remember first time just when going to Jeremiah. I dropped all my matches and could light the wood torch.

Now I am almost finish with the mission and I tried it again, dropped all my matches and it did not work anymore.

So either this was a bug  or I am wrong. I shall test it again when I restart the mission. Will let you know