A small issue with ammo manufacturing in theory

Fuarian

And that issue is:

There's too much ammo. Plain and simple. In order to make use of the ammo crafting system, we would first need to actually be low on ammo. Only problem is that you'll never actually run out of ammo. There is so much in the game already! Rifle boxes come in 5 rounds. Revolver boxes come in 10. I've found at least 3 boxes of each in every region playing on stalker based difficulty. That's insane! I'm never going to actually shoot all of it. And even if I could, there's no way I'd be able to do it all before getting bored and quitting. I think ammo should be much rarer, making us cherish every shot we take. After all, the game isn't meant to be about shooting, so to limit that option just limit the amount of ammunition you can find and enforce the idea of crafting it instead. Otherwise switch to archery. 

Or Timberwolves could be added to nearly every region making the player use more ammunition. 

• Upvote 1

A good way to address this problem would be to rebalance the entire weapons system. One of the reasons there is a massive oversupply of ammunition is the fact that in most cases, a shot to any part of the body with anything except the Revolver will kill the animal, given enough time. To reduce our ammunition stockpiles, it needs to take multiple rounds to kill animals. The bleeding system has to be completely reworked to accomplish this.

My proposal is that a shot would deal both instant condition loss to the animal and a bleed effect, if applicable. Blood loss would slowly sap condition for a time dependent on what weapon was used, what animal it is, the location of the shot, and the relevant skill. Animals would eventually stop bleeding of they manage to survive long enough.

The flare gun would no longer be the ultimate bear-killing weapon that it is now. A shot from the flare gun, besides scaring wildlife, would cause no bleed damage at all, restricting its use to wildlife deterrent and only being used as a weapon when the damage would be able to kill the target outright, such as a headshot to a charging wolf.

At the same time, reducing the amount of ammo boxes and replacing more rounds with empty casings would both reduce the ammo glut and encourage players to visit BI to craft more ammunition.

• Like 2

Bleak Inlet is meant for long term players who want something to do end-game. If you've never ran out of ammo it's because you haven't survived long enough. But once you do, the option of crafting ammo once you're really low becomes very attractive, even if just to defeat boredom. There are millions of different play styles. Not every player is able to craft and some don't care for crafting weapons at all. Some players literally stick to one region. 

18 hours ago, Salty Crackers said:

A good way to address this problem would be to rebalance the entire weapons system. One of the reasons there is a massive oversupply of ammunition is the fact that in most cases, a shot to any part of the body with anything except the Revolver will kill the animal, given enough time. To reduce our ammunition stockpiles, it needs to take multiple rounds to kill animals. The bleeding system has to be completely reworked to accomplish this.

My proposal is that a shot would deal both instant condition loss to the animal and a bleed effect, if applicable. Blood loss would slowly sap condition for a time dependent on what weapon was used, what animal it is, the location of the shot, and the relevant skill. Animals would eventually stop bleeding of they manage to survive long enough.

The flare gun would no longer be the ultimate bear-killing weapon that it is now. A shot from the flare gun, besides scaring wildlife, would cause no bleed damage at all, restricting its use to wildlife deterrent and only being used as a weapon when the damage would be able to kill the target outright, such as a headshot to a charging wolf.

At the same time, reducing the amount of ammo boxes and replacing more rounds with empty casings would both reduce the ammo glut and encourage players to visit BI to craft more ammunition.

I like this a lot. Also ammo boxes found out in the snow or a not very promising location will be of lower quality. And while we're at it, make the weapons easier to degrade. 

8 hours ago, Lohaan said:

Bleak Inlet is meant for long term players who want something to do end-game. If you've never ran out of ammo it's because you haven't survived long enough. But once you do, the option of crafting ammo once you're really low becomes very attractive, even if just to defeat boredom. There are millions of different play styles. Not every player is able to craft and some don't care for crafting weapons at all. Some players literally stick to one region. 

I did mention that it's almost impossible to reach that point because there's so much ammo and you'll never get the chance to shoot all of it. 

4 minutes ago, Fuarian said:

that's not easy to do hehe

@Fuarian
Oh definitively!  The method that works for me is that I only keep the ammo in my rifle/revolver, the rest I just stash under a bed (and I never take excess ammo between regions)… the cumulative effect for me is that I always treat it like the only ammo I have is what's loaded in the weapon, and that keeps me from shooting unless I really really have to. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Fuarian
Oh definitively!  The method that works for me is that I only keep the ammo in my rifle/revolver, the rest I just stash under a bed (and I never take excess ammo between regions)… the cumulative effect for me is that I always treat it like the only ammo I have is what's loaded in the weapon, and that keeps me from shooting unless I really really have to. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I think what I'll do is if the ammo is found in a location where it has been for a long time or an undesirable location (like in the snow) then I'll consider it damaged or low quality and won't use it. Or I'll just unload more of it into an animal I've already shot.