Bleak Inlet - What am I missing?

Sceh

I've been exploring (and LOVING!) the Bleak Inlet and from what I can see I've been through the whole region without encountering the environmental puzzle that was announced in the Dev diary:

" This will be our first region to feature a two-part environmental puzzle of sorts — in order to unlock the region’s full potential, you’ll need to access it from two different locations. "

I feel like the "full potential" bit means for me to get into the Workshop to use the ammo workbench - which I've done without ever going through the Forlorn Muskeg entrance.

I came through the ravine, found the note with the code in the lookout, deployed a mountaineering rope, trekked through the region and solved the little platforming challenge at the cannery, entered the code during the next aurora event (btw - HOW? There isn't a zero on the key pad) and explored the workshop. Made a nice little stash of materials for future use next to the ammo workbench and stepped back out to search the rest of the region. Currently on my way back to my ML headquarters through the Forlorn Muskeg cave with no hinderance or puzzle to solve whatsoever.

Now, either I've missed something major or the environmental puzzle was actually only "bring/have a mountaineering rope", which seems too easy. Can anyone share some insight?

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer!

I'm mystified. How is that a two-part environmental puzzle? Under this definition half of Timberwolf mountain would be an environmental puzzle. I have to admit I was expecting something more intricate, not least because they made it a point to announce it in the Dev Diary and say it was the "first region to feature" something like this.

When things were unfolding while traveling through the first half of the region I thought "I bet they make me come once from this direction to get the code, and once from the other side to open a gate or remove an obstacle of sorts, so that I can travel around freely in the future." Set myself up for a feeling of anticlimax I guess 😅

Going in blind the first time you really wouldn't carry another rope down there. Moreover, early game you don't have the equipment to deal with the Timberwolves. So a normal gameplay loop could be:

1.) Go the ravine to get the flare pistol and the door code

2.) Play the game for a while to get better gear

3.) Later on travel to BI via FM

Though I agree that they should get rid of the climbing spot

Edited by Serenity

Not going to rehash things that have already been discussed, but A: I think the climb should remain, and B: I think there should be something to prevent a player from immediately accessing the whole region by (through metagaming or pure luck) visiting the region for the first time via the Ravine transition, with a rope in their inventory.  This could be as simple as a locked gate barring access to the radio tower, which can be bypassed using a bolt cutter stored just outside the cannery.

• Upvote 2

Guest jeffpeng
6 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Not going to rehash things that have already been discussed, but A: I think the climb should remain, and B: I think there should be something to prevent a player from immediately accessing the whole region by (through metagaming or pure luck) visiting the region for the first time via the Ravine transition, with a rope in their inventory.  This could be as simple as a locked gate barring access to the radio tower, which can be bypassed using a bolt cutter stored just outside the cannery.

Make it an actual lock with a key. I really don't wanna have to carry 2 kg of extra equipment........ :D 

2 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Make it an actual lock with a key. I really don't wanna have to carry 2 kg of extra equipment........ :D 

Yeah - I remember in Wintermute Predux having to lug the bolt cutters from Mystery Lake to the Gate to the Hunting Lodge in BRR ... urgh - no thanks.

Even if I didn't have a rope on me at the time "making you go back to get a rope" is decidedly not the same as a "two-stage environmental puzzle forcing you to enter the region from two different points". Not complaining! Just saying it isn't what I was expecting from what was communicated. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop the whole time. So basically, what @ajb1978 was suggesting ^^

18 hours ago, stratvox said:

When I went in through the ravine I had no rope, so now I either come back out and get one, or go through ML and FM to get to the other entrance.

Yeah Rope and I do not always get along.  I have found a way to access the lower Ravine.  Now there is a chance to escape the lower Ravine without a rope.  Getting to the radio hut in BI had me frustrated as the area was blocked by invisible walls.  Every time I get somewhere that looks like a spot to shimmy down and its is blocked.  The goat in me refused to give up.  There is a screen capture of the Ocean Inlet Dawn and this is close to the location I goated down to Ocean Inlet.

Edited by Ice Hole
Iamgoat

On 12/12/2019 at 1:12 PM, Sceh said:

(btw - HOW? There isn't a zero on the key pad)

screen_d6dbaac5-a5d8-4d0b-b167-daaa1e78baad.thumb.png.7ea226c1f54742f1370a845b8fc6d559.png

Great eye for detail.  Blame missing this on not being able to key the numbers in for ourselves.  Sort of let down that the numbers are not interactive, just so eager to push eight.

Yeah @Ice Hole it was the first thing I noticed - and also a reason why I was SURE that the code had to be part of the "two-part environmental puzzle" and that it would have to be used at some other point (for example to get into another building nearer FM, in order to get the actual code for the cannery). Still not over that one. I know I set myself up for disappointment when I was expecting something complex and challenging, but I can't help it.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, hozz1235 said:

I suppose "puzzle" may be a bit of a misnomer but only knowing of 2 entrances to the zone, I first entered through FM (since I was there).  After scouting the whole area, I then proceeded to the top part since it was inaccessible from the bottom.

I had another of my survivors, originally stationed in Mystery Lake, try going to Bleak Inlet with already a rope in hand, so that I could enter the region from above, then climb down below. The puzzle (or rather, the grind) was finding a rope. I didn't find any in Mystery Lake. The one in the train car in the Ravine is needed to climb down to the Ravine Basin. After some time spent going to places where I thought I had seen a rope spawn in previous gameplays, I ended up returning to Pleasant Valley and removing the one I originally deployed on Signal Hill. From there, back to Mystery Lake, the Ravine, down the basin, and finally into Bleak Inlet. It took me almost an in-game week because of course the weather decided to be shitty. Also, carrying an extra rope means 5kg of additional burden, and part of the trip wasn't fun because I was exhausted and encumbered.

Edited by Morrick

Ya I made the journey on a Pilgrim run starting at Bleak Inlet then went through Forlorn to Mystery Lake took the rope from above the Camp Office by the rabbit cave and the one near the cave by the lake and then to the ravine and eventually back to Bleak Inlet. It's a doable journey no doubt BUT not so great on Interloper I'm thinking as not being able to pack that extra 5kg of food might be a huge downside.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:13 PM, Ice Hole said:

One way down is to the left side of the rope.  

I think that's the way i went first time (i was on a new run so could afford to chance it).  I'm no super mountain goater so paid for it with various sprains and a touch and go run to the old cabin in a blizzard, but definitely do-able.  i did take the effort to trek back round and place a rope for future access.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sceh said:

I was expecting something complex and challenging,

Have you found the secret area?  I explored most of it but maybe it still holds more secrets.  Not trying to dash any hope but to be honest the parkour at the cannery seems to be less of an environmental puzzle than the secret area.

@Valuable Hunting Knife I have found other routes that are safer.

@Morrick take the two ropes from the Overlook, both areas can be goated safely.

Edited by Ice Hole

On 12/17/2019 at 4:29 AM, Ice Hole said:

Have you found the secret area? 

@Ice Hole I think I have 🤔

Do you mean

the one that's underneath and then around the cliff with the big Radio Tower on top? Where at the end you get to a little overlook with a ruined camp and a corpse above the Delta?

I found some food at the one obvious end point and then searched every nook and cranny on my way back, because this map is really, really good at hiding little corners behind completely innocent little snow drifts that then suddenly open out into lovely spots with loot and a view.

• Upvote 1

It is a really nice region. Good balance of danger and beauty :D

Funny. I didn't even know there was a FM entrance. 

I entered through the Ravine, got the code but didn't think twice about it (too distracted thinking about how many wolves I'd have to kill, poor pups) deployed a rope by the lookout tower and made my way to the Cannery. I went back the way I came after leveling up Gunsmithing. 

Now I'll have to go back to find the other entrance, heh :D

Edited by Dx421