[Bleak Inlet] The locked workshop at the Cannery Pier

Morrick

You need to find the code to gain access. That's okay, I like a bit of treasure hunting. It makes sense. 

Then you have to wait for an aurora for the security system to be powered. That makes sense too.

But — unless I did things in a rush and missed something — there is only one way to reach the workshop in the first place. And that way is, shall we say, not linear. To me it feels too much like a platformer puzzle, and a bit 'out of character' for The Long Dark, if you know what I mean. I was curious to know your thoughts about it.

(I still haven't accessed the workshop, as I went on exploring the rest of the region, but I wonder if maybe the Great Bear Island authorities are hiding a UFO in there, given how convoluted gaining access is, hahaha!)

• Upvote 1

Yes it is linear but still can be fun.

screen_a97cbf80-1c9c-4c17-8dd1-79a538f6120a_hi.thumb.png.9ff375daa59e62a6295ddc389d8db9a7.png

When I first arrived and saw the red planks laid out over the trailers my goat beard started to prick up.

Went all over the area and had not found where this path started.  The graffiti hints were helpful and I realized that they are high lighting the route.  Climbed the hill to get a better view.  Even thought about taking this leap over to the cannery.

Currently I am at the security door and waited two nights for an aurora to show up.  Now thinking why I don't just burn my way through to the other side of this wooden building.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

When I first arrived and saw the red planks laid out over the trailers my goat beard started to prick up.

Oh, I knew you would enjoy this. :D

I would have probably enjoyed it more if my character's name were Mario or Sonic...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Draxis said:

Important, leave the workshop before you log out wile the aurora is on or you will be trapped inside, there is no keypad on the inside the and when you quit the door will be shut, (Signed a starving to death survivor)

How did that happen to you? Once open the door with the keypad stayed open forever in my game. In fact, since the first aurora I have been in and out of the workshop a dozen times during the daytime, lugging materials back and forth. You should report a bug.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Draxis said:

Important, leave the workshop before you log out wile the aurora is on or you will be trapped inside, there is no keypad on the inside the and when you quit the door will be shut, (Signed a starving to death survivor)

It is supposed to stay open forever.

Even Hinterland said so.

So they've gotten a slew of bug reports on this. Including myself 5 minutes ago.

(This seems to have become a thing only since the Hotfix) go figure.

Edited by RossBondReturns
Added reason in brackets
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RossBondReturns said:

Apparently there is a shorter path...once the door is open (forever) there's a ladder somewhere according to Raph...need to check his twitter again.

A ladder? You mean one you can climb or just walk across? Climbing ladders would be interesting mechanic in this game

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Apparently there is a shorter path...once the door is open (forever) there's a ladder somewhere according to Raph...need to check his twitter again.

Let us know what you find out. Just checked after the 1.67 release and I don't see any type of ladder or anything I could activate to make an alternate path.

4 hours ago, Fuarian said:

A ladder? You mean one you can climb or just walk across? Climbing ladders would be interesting mechanic in this game

Ladders should work similarly to car doors Imo. No animation needed.

Speaking of ladders reminded me of how i got up to the top of Molly's barn where she shot the wolf using the planks in the hay. There's nothing up there :(

• Like 1

Additional back-on-topic thoughts: maybe what bugs me the most about the way to reach the workshop (not the way to access it, which is fine by me), is that it feels contrived. In all my Survival Mode exploration, the world of The Long Dark has felt natural. The environmental obstacles to reach a place have always felt natural: e.g. I can't go straight there because a landslide has blocked the passage. Or: I have to find a rope if I want to climb down there. In this case, the environment — the Cannery industrial ruins — feels engineered, feels like a set of coincidences that are too bad to be true. It doesn't feel natural, but something that has been broken down here and there on purpose to make a place difficult to access. It feels like a game within a game. And this isn't The Witness or Portal.

14 minutes ago, Morrick said:

Additional back-on-topic thoughts: maybe what bugs me the most about the way to reach the workshop (not the way to access it, which is fine by me), is that it feels contrived. In all my Survival Mode exploration, the world of The Long Dark has felt natural. The environmental obstacles to reach a place have always felt natural: e.g. I can't go straight there because a landslide has blocked the passage. Or: I have to find a rope if I want to climb down there. In this case, the environment — the Cannery industrial ruins — feels engineered, feels like a set of coincidences that are too bad to be true. It doesn't feel natural, but something that has been broken down here and there on purpose to make a place difficult to access. It feels like a game within a game. And this isn't The Witness or Portal.

Well you see I don't have a problem with it because it's clear that the new pathway, the one we use was put together by the workers themselves. Getting themselves up high, and then laying the board bridges where they were.

Ideally I would like there to be a couple of corpses below that show workers that lost there balance setting the whole thing up.

Other than that though it makes perfect sense. The last remaining workers saw the Timberwolves invading...and made a much higher path to keep much needed equipment available and keep them protected from Timberwolves.

Eventually any that survived long enough ran out of supplies...and the code was forgotten...its only copy up at the radio tower...I forget codes all the time. So...they send out one to break through the Timberwolves and get the code...then another....finally the last guy makes it only to the boat below.

Months later you come along, and making your way through it...you complain because it doesn't make sense. ;)

Edited by RossBondReturns
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Other than that though it makes perfect sense. The last remaining workers saw the Timberwolves invading...and made a much higher path to keep much needed equipment available and keep them protected from Timberwolves.

They could have killed the Timberwolves with their atrocious sardines, for that matter. Since I started playing The Long Dark 1 year and a half ago, the chance of getting food poisoning by eating Last Resort sardines for me has been 98%. :D

In response to the OP - while I agree the route to the Cannery Workshop is convoluted and not entirely 'natural', overall I think it's a good inclusion, for two reasons:

1. It was interesting and exciting - especially given that for my first journey, I had 5 or 6 vicious Timberwolves barking at me, just waiting for a false step. It was deliciously tense, and for me a landmark experience within Bleak Inlet. There's a saying 'never let the truth get in the way of a good story', and I think that applies here. But also - (see 2 below)

2. It's not entirely unnatural/contrived, given the note explaining that the workers had jerry-rigged the route through the cannery rafters specifically to avoid the Timberwolves. The part that does feel contrived to me is how rickety the route is, in several places, and the fact it's one-way. However I'm prepared to forgive this because of point 1 above!

But - the thing I definitely don't enjoy, is having to traverse the same route over and over again. @RossBondReturns, you've provided some great info indicating there apparently is a shortcut, but so far nobody on the forums seems to have found it. I've created a separate thread dedicated to sharing the learnings about this famed shortcut (given this thread is really about the convoluted route, and what people think of it). If you find out anything more, please post at the other thread! 

Having waited for 40 (yes 40) days after getting the code and 8 batteries, there is still no aurora and I am getting really p***** off.

Why am I stuck? I have used up virtually all the available firewood and killed/eaten 2 moose and 4 deer so far.

Really, really fed up now.

Any advice???