New rifle variations

Lumi

So, I know hinterland doesn't want to add a massive bouquet of guns, and I completely understand (and agree) with that, I simply thought some spice and minor variety wouldn't hurt . I've been thinking about these for a while and tried to keep it balanced, anyway.

So quickly, in my vision, I would personally add two new variations of the rifle, all use the same ammo, deal the same damage, degrade the same amount per shot,  be repaired the same by the milling machine and cleaning kit, and would all be intended for offensive use, not defensive use.

-Current rifle: It's really perfect the way it is, honestly. Good accuracy, high ammo capacity, sights are fine. Doesn't need to be modified (but I would personally make the chambering a new bullet between shots a tiny bit longer) could keep it's name "Hunting rifle"

-New rifle 1: A lever action called something like "Farmer's rifle" or something farm-y-sounding, it would still be intended for hunting, but would straddle the line between offense and defense a little closer than the other two. Shorter effective range (not drastically, just a teeny bit), slightly worse accuracy (where the bullet lands instead of where the sights show, again, fairly minor) and a faster rate of fire, identical aim-down-sight view to the hunting rifle, minor decrease to sight stamina, 8 bullets or so, less than the base rifle's, much slower reload because of bullet-by-bullet loading. I would like to stress it is not rapid fire or even considerable faster than the hunting rifle, it is just a tiny bit faster, just enough that the split-split second spared might be enough for you to fit in that live-saving shot, maybe.

-New rifle 2: Another bolt action rifle, could be named "Ranger's rifle" or "Scout rifle", slightly longer effective range than the base rifle, tighter cone of accuracy, much slower chambering animation, 5 bullets, very slow bullet-by-bullet reload, more narrow sights that let you aim significantly better and see the animal better, longer sight stamina. I feel the rifle's very slow chambering animation, reload and halved bullet capacity make up for the near-pinpoint accuracy. 

Summary: 

base rifle: best ammo capacity and reload, little drawbacks

rifle 1: slightly less accurate, slightly less ammo, slower reload, most versatile when loaded

rifle 2: Very accurate at the price of horrible ammo capacity and reload speed

I've played for a while, and been on the steam community, but I've never considered myself very experienced, this is my first post so I hope my proposed additions aren't too ridiculous, sorry if it's wordy and clumped together weirdly. Thanks :3

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

I hope that Hinterland doesn't turn TLD into  gun-boy game.

I'd be happy to see a shotgun, a short range defensive weapon, but no more rifles.

I hope they don't either, pete, but I honestly think a small group of slightly differing variants of what is really the same weapon is less "gun-boy" than a third entirely new weapon type, personally. I was honestly surprised at ammo crafting, very surprised.

Edited by Lumi

I would add single shot break action rifle, which can replace randomly our normal boltaction rifle on higher difficulties. Single shot doesnt allow fast reload for another shot, with normal boltaction you can hit predator 2 times. So single shot is rather skilled wepon, for countable shots. That increases cchallenge.

In Interloper this single shot rifle could be dissasembled and you have to find all parts to restore it. Along with a few catridges and new ammo crafting you will have very limited firearm use in Interloper.

Normal hunting rifle with some way for custom mods would be nice, just like double barrel shotgun.

Edited by Moll

8 hours ago, Salty Crackers said:

I don't think the game needs any more guns, but I would love some cosmetic variation in items i.e. different models for the same item.

I also agree. Half of the reason I suggested this is some variety, cosmetic or otherwise.

This could be because I've been playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption 2 lately, but something like the Remington Rolling Block rifle could fit the bill here. Its not a bolt action and it doesn't have an internal magazine so you're limited to loading one round at a time. Those rate of fire and reloading limitations could be offset by making it a little more accurate and a little more powerful than the standard rifles. I'd say it'd make you more deliberate about your shots, you miss against a bear and it should maul you before you even get it reloaded.

• 3 years later...

Here, have a couple additional ideas, too.

Prepper's Rifle
An all-black rifle with a custom scope. Looks like it was intended to be used on small game. Clunky, but you probably won't find a faster fire rate anywhere else.

It's a plinking rifle. 10 rounds of revolver ammo, a short scope, and a black paintjob. Heavy, awkward, and fragile, yet fast-firing and accurate.

Found in one of the two blinds in Forlorn Muskeg.

Veteran's Rifle
A genuine Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mark 1 rifle that may have actually seen the trenches of World War 1. Some say the original owner still haunts the rifle, but that can't be true. Ghosts aren't real... right?

An ordinary-looking Rifle with a sling and notches in the stock. Grants considerable aim assist and extends the scope-in timer.

Found on the rifle rack in the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad.

Sydney's Revolver
A heavily customized revolver, which was once carried by an eccentric detective. Its simplistic exterior and grip hides a well-oiled interior and a high-quality barrel. Comes with a speedloader, as he always carried it empty- not wanting to risk his career with a hasty shot.

A revolver that's slightly heavier than normal, but degrades less per shot and reloads with a speedloader- dumping all rounds onto the ground, spent or not, and loading in a fresh six bullets. The black fiberglass grip is accentuated with grey speed tape, and the main body is an unusual chrome color.

Found in the lone car on the highway to Forsaken Airfield.

Enthusiast's Revolver
This monster of a revolver reasonably belongs in a display case. Be careful that you don't bruise your shoulder when firing it, as it doesn't come with a stock to absorb the recoil.

A 5 round revolver that takes rifle bullets. Horrendous recoil (may even cause you some Pain as it nearly dislocates your shoulder), but light and quick. Not that you're likely to hit any shots with it, of course.

Found in a travel case in the Pleasant Valley crash site.

Hunter's Pistol
An outdated break-action single shot pistol, chambered in .303 and clearly used for hunting. Has a custom grip designed to absorb the recoil of the large cartridge used.

Technically a Flare Gun variant, chambered in rifle bullets. The lightest """rifle""" alternative, but can only hold one round in its magazine. Inspired by the Thompson Center Contender.

Found at the Mysterious Signal Fire in HRV.

Edited by JackTrysGames
Multiple spelling errors fixed.