Interlopers beware. Timberwolves are ridiculous.

MrWolf

On 12/10/2019 at 6:09 PM, MrWolf said:

How are we supposed to deal with timberwolves in Interloper?  I started a new run and I'm not going anywhere near the new region in Interloper again.  Probably.

I hope I'm not the only person finding this hilarious. :D

Dev Team: Here is a new zone, designed specifically for Loper and Deadman players!

Every Loper and Deadman survivor: Runs out of the zone screaming and doesn't want to go back in. 🤣

🤔

Edited by tulkawen
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 3

@Ahatch Yes, they can be harvested like a normal wolf.  You get the regular wolf pelt.

@tulkawen I agree and that's been a consideration that I haven't liked in that the area will just be either totally avoided or at minimum when fully kitted up.  I think though they will eventually be on more regions so there is sort of a meta reason to visit the region and learn how to deal with them - at a point when you have less time invested.

• Upvote 1

I could see the region maybe scaring a few folks away in Interloper for sure. But I know players that never go to the Riken to forge , always the Spence Farmstead  either . It all depends how bad you want the loot. I wouldn't go there myself without level 5 archery though to deal with the timber wolves. 

Guest jeffpeng
11 hours ago, stratvox said:

basically having the possibility of using it to swipe whichever wolf is coming in for a taste and doing a block on the attack, while costing some morale, based more or less on the "hatchet > hammer > prybar > knife > fist" sequence where the fist is pretty dang inconsequential.

Seconded.

11 hours ago, stratvox said:

a big upgrade on the animal AI and interactions would be extremely cool

That would warrant an entire update for itself. But yeah, that would be indeed cool.

6 hours ago, Ahatch said:

But I know players that never go to the Riken to forge , always the Spence Farmstead  either

Funny. I came to prefer the Riken over the Farmstead for a couple of - to me clearly obvious - reasons.

My Interloper character is at day 520 and ive just explored the whole region so here is my 2 cents

There wasn't a single pack of matches in any of the locations ive found yet

Very little by way of food.  There's a bear spawn and a moose which basically kept me alive.  I suppose you could use fishing but there isnt enough coal to keep a fire going for long enough to keep this up.  I found 1 deer i think and a couple of rabbits

All the clothes are wrecked and the food is ruined but you can eat this as long as you are level 5

Best course of action ive found with the Timberwolves is to lure them then sprint backwards and take shots at them with the bow when they charge you.  A couple of direct hits are all you need but its a very risky strategy.

No point going to the Cannery - its totally infested and very little loot.

The cold is mental as well - I found this zone far worse than any other and had to sprint from location to location.  Blizzards were lasting 2 days for me too

I managed to avoid the wolves on the way out as i need to get more matches, arrows and repair my clothes before going back

Apart from the fun of exploring a new zone i cant see any reward in interloper players going there.  I guess if you've run out of birch or maple then a loot of the area will reap rewards.  Avoid the cannery though.  Did i mention avoiding the cannery?

• Upvote 2

All I can say is that based on the asshattery antics of the timberwolves in Episode 3, I won't be heading to BI in survival mode ... and once they spread out to other regions I may end up uninstalling TLD.

From their arrival in Episode 3, the timberwolves (to me) have felt like Raph and Hinterland punishing the playerbase for not previously playing the game according to some never released playstyle guide, or for using loot tables, or Whiteberry's maps, or whatever.  Nothing I've read in this thread changes that opinion.

Sorry Raph, but you shot way wide of the mark with the timberwolves - all punishment and no reward.  HRV was bad enough with it's confusing layout that led to my character's death everytime I spawned there or tried to visit with an established survivor (even on Pilgrim mode), but from what I'm reading - BI and the timberwolves could be what costs TLD a lot of its playerbase.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Gazbeard said:

Sorry Raph, but you shot way wide of the mark with the timberwolves - all punishment and no reward.

I kinda agree at least on interloper difficulty I know there are some people who I'm sure love timber wolves being added @stay puft I'm sure thinks this is amazing but most of us aren't able to live 3000 days and kill 500 wolves in one run so whats the reward for average loper players to go fight them? from what I've seen nothing it's seems the new region and timber wolves are put in simply to punish the best of the best (on interloper) and I'm just not that good at killing wolves(using PS4 controller) to want to risk a long term character for almost no reward so to be honest I don't think I'll be going into the new zone for awhile. If ever lol    

Edited by StoneyWolf
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes I wonder: maybe instead of annoying wolf packs, it would have been better to introduce a new predator (e.g. Mountain Lion or whatever fits The Long Dark's habitat), whose appearance is scarce, which is hard to kill, but rewarding in that if you craft clothing from its skin, it acts as a deterrent with other predators. I don't mean full immunity, but a greater chance to be left alone when you go your way and stumble onto a wolf, bear, or moose. Just thinking aloud here.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ahatch said:

So there is no pistol in Interloper I take it so need to visit the milling machine then??

It has been shown several times on livestreams by different players that Interloper does contain revolvers - the most consistent discoveries being at the HRV mysterious signal fire ... but reports are also surfacing of finding one in Coastal Highway, Pleasant Valley, and now in Bleak Inlet too.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I made huge mistake taking my to 500 days loper character. Good thing I came through the ravine entrance because the cliff is much more hospitalable then the rest of the map. I managed to deal with  one pack, but the best course of action is to avoid at all costs. The industrial area proofed to be a problem. The first problem: 7 timberwolfs. The second problem: those wolfs have an iq higher then 15. 

I liked the notes and the "puzzle" tough the local resident of the main building did a number on me. Now my character is on the verge of death. As soon as I recover im getting the hell out of Bleak Inlet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 9:24 PM, LkP said:

Can't wait to see timberwolves around the farm in PV... 6 to 8 of them roaming in an area... 😛

That would instantly kill interloper mode.  Did you try Bleak Inlet on loper ? 

The timberwolves need works before beeing srpead in the rest of great bear.

Morale ? Weird management. One kill ? His buddies don't care.  2 kills one wounded ? The fourth still there.

Last standing ? Still there is the morning after 8 hours sleep in safe tower.

Why would I go to bleak inlet in loper ? Waste arrows, waste bow, waste health,  waste emergency stim, waste cloths and skins for bullets without a revolver that is a poor defensive device anyway.

Timberwolves are great but it still need work.

_tld_tw1.jpg

_tld_tw2.jpg

_tld_tw3.jpg

• Upvote 3

I fought my way to the cannery, wounding shed-loads of timberwolfs in the process, only to almost die once I got inside the locked door because of “spoiler”.

I stayed for a few days healing, mending and crafting. The morning I decided to leave (flee) the area, I woke to an evil blizzard.

“Great”, I thought, “a break from murder wolves”. So I set out passing about a dozen wolf corpses on the way, they were everywhere. I was feeling kinda bad about it as I don’t usually kill stuff unless I need to and prefer not to waste the resources...until the red bar appeared again. Chased me onto thin ice and wrecked me some more before I eventually added two more corpses to the battlefield.

I really like the new area but, entering Bleak inlet is like leaving TLD and walking into a different game. 

Fun though!

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Daymo said:

entering Bleak inlet is like leaving TLD and walking into a different game

That's probably the most fitting description I've read so far. Indeed it is.

Man, you can't just reverse the meaning of a quote.
Using the same strategy :

6 hours ago, JMK said:

Timberwolves are great

what ? did you ever play in interloper ?

P.S.: I wonder what ( 😛 ) means...

6 hours ago, JMK said:

Why would I go to bleak inlet in loper ?

Arrived into BI from the Ravine.  The Timber wolf by the tower ran away from me.  Made the hike over to the washout trailers where Bullwinkle went down in three arrow hits.  Off to the cannery where I spot about four timbers.  Threw a few rocks and sneaked into the trailer.  Climbed the rope and now every time I come close to a timber wolf they run off.  My first experience on interloper with timber wolves was kind of bland.

To answer the question why would I go to BI in loper:

orca.thumb.png.8dab0df346c33e06c049738470860de3.png

Whale Watching

Why is this relevant?  The dev diary back in August 2018 episode three announcement and this was the concept art.  Maybe these beasts are lurking beneath the ice.  Certainly would make beach combing interesting.  Timberwolves might not be ridiculous on interloper but Orca would.

I have no "strategy". I can't underline enough that these wolves are not ready for the game on loper difficulty and asked a genuine question, did you try them on loper ? Just curious to share your thoughts if you did.

Wildlife spawn is set on very high on stalker, while it is set on high on interloper, so I guess they're a real pain on stalker either.

Ps: If you're interested in dialectic, may I suggest the "Art of beeing right" by Arthur Schopenhauer 😉

Pps Peace, understanding, beer and jokes 🙂