Snowshelter safe?

solide

If I correctly recall, they aren't safe. At the very least, you can't quickly make one to protect against a wolf, as they take something like an hour to build, and activity doesn't protect you from getting jumped. What DOES work is trying to start a fire. You don't even necessarily need to succeed! If the wolf comes at you while you're trying to light it, you'll scare it away. The only real risk is if the attempt fails before they get close enough to get scared, and then it reaches you just as you get dumped back into the world view. 

I've never been randomly attacked in a show shelter, but then again I never build snow shelters in the middle of wolf or bear territory.  I have tested whether or not you can use a snow shelter to escape an attack after a predator is already aware of your presence, and you cannot.  They will drag you out of your shelter and maul you.

Looking at the Custom Settings Toolbox templates, it looks like snowshelters are safe in Pilgrim only. All other modes show "wildlife attacks during rest" turned on. 
And since many people use snowshelters to sleep outdoors, I am guessing that "rest" includes in a snowshelter. I've never had it happen, but I don't use them very often. 

Screenshot_8.thumb.png.fa9ee3dcd1a1f3f7c9bbd7f40605fba5.png

Screenshot_9.thumb.png.622e198acb37e6bba1408510ba8dbb1a.png

Screenshot_10.thumb.png.2c36cbed905b2eb0a88a241dd06c2da7.png

Screenshot_11.thumb.png.c8b25d923a55b31ce4394998da43d2d4.png

Might be a question for the Milton Mailbag, when Raph gets some free time to get back to it.  A quick search showed 2 snowshelter questions, neither of them about being attacked while in one. I did not look at the questions on sleep though, or for questions about attacks in general. So I may have missed the answer, if it is there.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 11:43 AM, cullam said:

What DOES work is trying to start a fire. You don't even necessarily need to succeed! If the wolf comes at you while you're trying to light it, you'll scare it away. The only real risk is if the attempt fails before they get close enough to get scared, and then it reaches you just as you get dumped back into the world view. 

It doesn't work like that anymore.  Now, a wolf will stand next to the fire and growl at you.  If you aim or throw something at the wolf, it might run away or might attack.  I was just in an early Interloper run and lured a wolf into a deer to get some deer meat.  I started a fire near the wolf and it stood there growling.  I threw a torch at the wolf and it attacked.  

Regarding the snow shelter, I was dragged out of one to face a wolf once, next to the Camp Office in Mystery Lake.  I built a snow shelter behind the building and went into it to harvest meat from quartered bags.  A wolf came from somewhere nearby and snatched me right out of the shelter.  This was a number of releases ago, so I don't know if it's the same now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 2:47 AM, MrWolf said:

Now, a wolf will stand next to the fire and growl at you.  If you aim or throw something at the wolf, it might run away or might attack.  I was just in an early Interloper run and lured a wolf into a deer to get some deer meat.  I started a fire near the wolf and it stood there growling.  I threw a torch at the wolf and it attacked.

From what I've observed, throwing something usually scares them, but may trigger an attack. But aiming at them, even just with a rock, is pretty much a guaranteed attack.

Edited by JAFO