The Long Dark Updated - ERRANT PILGRIM [1.64]

Admin

1 hour ago, RegentRelic said:

The bear spear as it is would be over powered but, hinterlands has stated multiple times that they want to tweak it and it to survival play.

Haven't heard much about it lately, just checking in on the progress :)

don't misunderstand, I'm not complaining about it or anything haha I'm really glad to see this update and it looks absolutely spectacular. I'm tempted to leave work early to go play it tonight. But alas, I gotta make that money. This 12 hour shift ain't gonna work itself 😛

So having seen the new challenge mode, I have to say that it's everything I wish I could have made Deadman into. It's practically perfect in every way, deliciously mean and unforgiving. There's never enough loot, never enough food, never enough warmth (those scraps you call clothes are barely helping inside!) and always too many wolves. Wolves that are no longer afraid. And dropping you into the new region as the spawn? Just yes.

Also, this new region!! So much to dig into heading into the holidays, thank you for the early present!

• Upvote 1

Totally agree with romerabr, had a similar upbringing but started out with an Acorn electron if anyone remembers them.

Played elite back then, it's still going strong today.

Hinterland you set the bar for all other game studios to follow. If only we had more committed developers like you guys. Instead we get £80 COD every 6 months or another flop fallout. Sort it out Tod take a page from hinterlands book.

Thanks for the update and Happy holidays for you and hinterland Developers! :)

Edited by hoasd1
changing from [, to and]

4 hours ago, MuTT7 said:

Hinterland you set the bar for all other game studios to follow.

I wonder if Raph gets Luigi death stares from the other studios whenever he hits the conventions? :D

QUALITY OF LIFE: Campfire, Emergency Shelter Breakdown

By popular demand, we’ve added the ability to break down Campfire rings and Emergency Shelters, for those players who like to pack out what they pack in.

@Admin I'm one of those; I was brought up on low impact camping on various trips through Algonquin, Temagami, and Killarney. Thank you!

Edited by stratvox
reasons

For me it's that I often use camp fires for harvesting or to scare of an animal when hunting it. After a while you have camp fires cluttering up the whole landscape and the carcasses are long gone. It's especially annoying with the long sight lines in CH. You may see a dark speck on the ice when looking for a new carcass, but it's just a camp fire from weeks ago

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Re-spawn times on Timberwolves seems REALLY high.  I encountered a pack of 3 when visiting the cannery - killed 2 and ran the 3rd off.  I spent maybe 2 days exploring the cannery and come out one morning and there is a pack of 4!  I was not expecting that...  Killed 2 and ran 2 off.  Came back next day and a pack of 4 again!  Got up on the walkway to avoid them and just outside the camp, I see a pack of 6...sheesh.  Update:  killed 2 of the pack of 6 and the rest ran off.  Took shelter in the trailer to heal up but will they never stop?

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Admin said:

QUALITY OF LIFE: Campfire, Emergency Shelter Breakdown

By popular demand, we’ve added the ability to break down Campfire rings and Emergency Shelters, for those players who like to pack out what they pack in.

Awesome, thank you!

Can’t wait to explore the new region, walking/fighting through unknown territory is probably my favorite part of the game.

• Like 1

Man that was a great update video. Amazing! I think I'm going to play this game a lot more the coming weeks.
It looks very very nice.

When I backed this game in early 2014 I didn't expect any of this, and it gets better and better over time.
Great work Hinterland team, enjoy the holidays! :D

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

as excited and appreciative as i am for any update, im not overly thrilled with the direction 'errant pilgrim' took.  personally i was hoping for more improvements to 'improvised' or handmade tools and clothing.  a revamped clothing system that allows more variety in hide choices, repairs across different animal types, modifications that require research or level to achieve, bowdrill, sled etc.  to me, grinding to craft just a few more bullets to kill yet another wolf/deer/bear just isnt that appealing, when the choices of what to do with the hides is relatively limited past 50 ish days when you are well geared up.  imo players enjoy customization, take fallout for example, one of the main attractions is building the player the way you see fit from apparel to weapons to skills, and i believe TLD could benefit from borrowing some of that model.  either way, im very excited to explore the new territory and experience timberwolves for the first time (survival only player)!  and a closing question, what can be crafted with timberwolf pelts? 

On 12/12/2019 at 9:35 PM, stratvox said:

Long time @Blinkin! Good to see you back!

Thanks! :D
It has been a while since I've been reading the forum. I see I've got to read a lot of Milton Mailbags haha.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:38 AM, RegentRelic said:

How much and why?

40 Canadian dollars. I got very intrigued by the pure survival aspect. Back then the 3 proof of concept video's that existed where prototype footages of a dead deer, the inside of a house and a tent in the middle of a frozen forest. While approaching the dead deer a text comes onto the screen "Would you eat?". Walking towards the tent you hear 2 people inside having an argument and one screaming "Shut up! Shut up!". In the house (dark with fire as lightning) you're looking at a door at the other side you hear wolves barking followed by a man shouting "Open up!" followed by smashing on the door and a woman screaming for her live. Text on screen: "Would you open the door?". After each of the 3 video's a text appears "How far will you go to survive?".

One of the things that intrigued me a lot where the open world, the full control you have as a player and the survival factor "Willpower". Willpower never got made into the game because it's something difficult to implement along with the other survival factors like hunger, thirst, temperature, etc. Willpower was going to be the mental and emotional state that surviving requires the most. The idea was that you would have a photo of your family inside a locket or a Polaroid photo. Looking at the photo slightly wears out the photo but it reminds you what you're fighting for and gives you the strength to go on with surviving. You would only use it sparingly and events in the game could 'recharge' the photo, but it could be a game changer when in danger. I kinda miss this aspect in the current game but at the same time I don't as I understand how difficult it would be to introduce something like this. Especially without making it a boring feature which is only about looking at a photo every once in a while.

But yeah, this was one of the many aspects that got me into backing this game. Mostly the decision making you do as a player; "How far will you go to survive?". Looking at the ways you can survive and fail...man the game has gotten really far! I remember playing the beta and being overwhelmed by the fact that I got killed by what turned out to be my most intriguing enemy: cold temperature. I never expected that this game would get an open world with the size I could only dream of. Let alone the huge amount of surviving skills, objects to interact with and the huge amount of crafting. Looking back at it, if I would have known, I seriously would have thought about backing it for 80 or maybe even 120 Canadian dollars. Which is extraordinary for me as I tend to say that $60 is a whole lot for a computer game.

In case anyone of Hinterland reads this: thank you for the great journey so far! Both the game and the whole community around it. Happy holidays!

• Upvote 2