Why can't I resist?

hozz1235

58 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

What can't you resist even though there is no logical reason for it?

Me:  I must have hundreds of pounds of meat and wood with lvl 5 in firemaking, yet I can't pass up cat-tails!

I actually stopped picking up plants until I actually need them, I harvest one region full of them and stop there. If there comes a time i need more I will get them and it would be like its own little mini interloper mode in the process. 

• Upvote 1

I play Pilgrim and every time I see wolves and deer, I try to get the wolves to get a deer even when unnecessary.  I don't let the carcass go to waste, I harvest it almost always fully.  I also pick up sticks, lots of sticks, and break branches to get more sticks. and more sticks and... arrgghhhh!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I play Pilgrim and every time I see wolves and deer, I try to get the wolves to get a deer even when unnecessary.

Same - it's like a little mini-game.  I once spent 30 minutes trying to herd a rabbit into a wolf but the pathing just wouldn't allow it :(

Edited by hozz1235
  • Like 1

I have issues with plant harvesting. I harvest all cattails, mushrooms, rosehips, etc. even if I don't need them. Just something about the game giving us resources and me not taking them seems wrong.. I'm compulsive in this regard.

I'm at nearly 600 days in my current run, and I'm trying to harvest all plants on Great Bear Island. I've gotten all of the cattails (have stashes of hundreds at multiple bases), mushrooms, and rosehips, and I have nearly all of the saplings. Only thing left in any volume is old man's beard, and I have a lot of that to harvest still. At this point in my run, after accomplishing my 50 days per region, it's my main personal objective.

I was just reminded to re-harvest PV since the update... another objective to add to my list! 😄

• Like 1

this is one thing i have been really working on lately, as a form of risk mitigation.  while traveling do i really need to harvest that ravaged deer and make myself a target for wolves?  do i really need to carry every single stick and plant i cross getting myself encumbered and a bigger sprain risk?  i try to make very pointed objectives for every outing and try to resist deviating.  saplings i will always grab though, because im not archery 5 yet so crafting arrows is a big benefit when possible

I can't resist taking screenshots, apparently. I have a folder that's getting close to 10 GB worth of The Long Dark's screenshots. If there were a 'Faithful photographer' achievement, it would be mine already. 😉 

Edited by Morrick
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, monsieur_cronky said:

I also can't resist carrying around waaaaay more 'emergency' supplies than I need. Moving from Camp Office to Trappers Cabin? Better take 3L of water, 5 bandages, 15 cloth, a couple of firestrikers, 3 flares, three different firearms, and a bow with 10 arrows.

You know. Just in case.

You forgot the bear bedroll, 3 or 4 stims, and food for 7 days.

I don't know if this counts but every time I try to leave some stuff behind to go on a quick supply run I can never find enough stuff to drop. I always think, "oh but I might NEED my crowbar on my trip to a place where there is no need for such an item." I always end up with a minimum of 25 kg.