Airplane Food

MrsHoneypot

9 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

Probably need a microwave though perhaps a controlled electrical food warmer/oven might do the trick. If the devs would just let us have one.  

And I´m guessing that this would only work on nights there´s an aurora in the sky.

Hmm. irl, I would try warming it up in a pot full of water, kinda like boil in the bag rice. Can´t do that in the game though. 😕

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Moll said:

lel, there is not enough power. Aurora is able to barely light up small light bulb.

Background radiation capable of inducing enough current to inflict burns, and penetrative enough to power elevators even through dozens of meters of rock...there's more than enough power for a simple microwave.  Frankly that's enough power to disrupt biochemistry at the molecular level, so life in general should be impossible during such a phenomenon.  But that's part of the whole "suspension of disbelief".

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Moll said:

lel, there is not enough power. Aurora is able to barely light up small light bulb.

I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure an elevator requires more electrical power then a toaster🤔 ... but then again, I'm not a scientist.

Edited by StoneyWolf
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Guest jeffpeng

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but what's exactly wrong with heating that stuff up next to a fire? Just because it is supposed to be microwaved that doesn't mean its impervious to actual heat.

Guest jeffpeng
12 hours ago, StoneyWolf said:

I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure an elevator requires more electrical power then a toaster🤔 ... but then again, I'm not a scientist.

All comes down to scale. A very large toaster would in fact use more power than a very tiny elevator. You gotta put some units and numbers on such stuff. Clearly not a scientist.

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

All comes down to scale. A very large toaster would in fact use more power than a very tiny elevator. You gotta put some units and numbers on such stuff. Clearly not a scientist.

LOL

yeah but no one would make a toaster that big or an elevator that small  :)

56 minutes ago, stay puft said:

It's about having more options... just something that seem like a cool idea, to be honest would probably never use them if they were added

Yeah I feel the same way.

• Upvote 2

Guest jeffpeng
15 minutes ago, StoneyWolf said:

yeah but no one would make a toaster that big or an elevator that small

A scientist clearly would make such things. But then again I guess that's the reason companies hire engineers to develop such things, not scientists.

1 hour ago, stay puft said:

It's about having more options... just something that seem like a cool idea, to be honest would probably never use them if they were added :) 

See, and that's where my engineer's brain tells me "if its superfluous, why even develop it". But that's why we have designers in the world to make things that are already perfect .... "cool". :D

Well. And then there is marketing ...... Don't get me started.

Edited by jeffpeng

19 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

"if its superfluous, why even develop it".

I know your just making a joke but to elaborate on that a little TLD to me feels empty/lack of world immersion in a sense and I don't actually mean to say the game isn't immersive cause it is but there's a lack of interactive items in the game... I understand that a lot of this stuff is technically pointless but I feel that having the ability to interact with random things like toasters/windows/chairs and even aurora activated TV clips would make the world feel fuller if fuller is a word and the auto correct is not correcting me so I'll assume it is :)

I know I'm being kinda vague but hopefully you get what i mean by interactive items.

Edited by StoneyWolf
  • Upvote 4

Guest jeffpeng

I'm making half a joke. I am in fact an engineer and as such my view on things often times is ... flawed... in that my brain is conditioned to remove everything that doesn't serve a purpose. That's why I am writing algorithms and developing software infrastructure, not making nice user interfaces or shiny webpages. So your arguement is very much valid. Not everything has to serve a purpose, although personally I feel better when everything does, and if it's just to serve entertainment.

TLD is probably the most down-to-bones implementation of a game I've ever seen. Everything you can do and interact with actually has a purpose and a use case, except for famous development artifacts like the car batteries or the car visors. That has the advantage that a new player (remember, TLD has almsot no handholding) isn't confused by too many options, some of which turn out to be completely unimportant. But it clearly has the disadvantage that a lot of things that seem to be intuitive to be possible simply aren't. If immersion is the right term here I don't know, but I get what you are getting at. The world would simply feel more .... naturally alive if we could rearrage things, sit on chairs, knock over a toaster, or even turn on a microwave when the aurora is out, even if it serves litereally no purpose.

Also aurora activated TV clips seem like a geniunely good idea to me. Like some random ad playing, and then a few scenes from a random 3am Twin Peaks rerun. I'd dig that.

8 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Also aurora activated TV clips seem like a geniunely good idea to me. Like some random ad playing, and then a few scenes from a random 3am Twin Peaks rerun. I'd dig that.

I was actually thinking along the lines of little news clips that would give the player a little bit of info on whats happening in the world or it could be some type of emergency broadcast put out to the people of Great Bear.

• Upvote 3

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, StoneyWolf said:

I was actually thinking along the lines of little news clips that would give the player a little bit of info on whats happening in the world or it could be some type of emergency broadcast put out to the people of Great Bear.

Hm. Not going into the business of spoiling Storymode here, but as far as I understand it apparently the rest of the world isn't really aware of what is going on on Great Bear. It's not like the radio is playing emergency transmissions either.

1 minute ago, jeffpeng said:

Hm. Not going into the business of spoiling Storymode here, but as far as I understand it apparently the rest of the world isn't really aware of what is going on on Great Bear. It's not like the radio is playing emergency transmissions either.

Ya but we can still find out things that are happening outside of Great Bear or it can be local news clips and there should be an emergency transmission on the radio sometimes. Someone that works at a local news or radio station must have mention the coming cold/weather unless the temperature instantly dropped as soon as the aurora event happened and it literally went from "normal" weather to extreme weather in an instant and if someone left the music on the radio playing on a loop then it's possible a TV station has an emergency broadcast playing on a loop.

• Upvote 2

Guest jeffpeng
2 minutes ago, StoneyWolf said:

local news or radio station

I don't think Great Bear still has/had such a thing after being battered by The Collapse so hard entire villages are abandoned.

4 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I don't think Great Bear still has/had such a thing after being battered by The Collapse so hard entire villages are abandoned.

It defiantly has a radio station and radio towers everywhere that's where we get the music from on the radio's during an aurora.

Most little towns have some sort of local news even if it literally is just little news paper or what have you and Hinterland will most likely never add this but theres always a way to add something like this, small local news on channel 2 or some local reporter that gives local news on the radio.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, StoneyWolf said:

Ya but we can still find out things that are happening outside of Great Bear or it can be local news clips and there should be an emergency transmission on the radio sometimes. Someone that works at a local news or radio station must have mention the coming cold/weather unless the temperature instantly dropped as soon as the aurora event happened and it literally went from "normal" weather to extreme weather in an instant and if someone left the music on the radio playing on a loop then it's possible a TV station has an emergency broadcast playing on a loop.

This would almost explain how all those people froze to death all over the place. :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StoneyWolf said:

if someone left the music on the radio playing on a loop then it's possible a TV station has an emergency broadcast playing on a loop.

Or even those SMPTE color bars stations broadcast when the station goes off the air.  Most TV stations are on 24/7 nowadays but Great Bear is consistently described as being way behind the times, run-down, and falling apart.  Actually showing something (anything really) on the TV's would liven up the interiors quite a bit.

And it'd be fun if radios periodically play ads for Summit soda, or Stacy's Grape Soda, stuff like that.  Little polish items that aren't important, don't really change the game in any meaningful way, but add charm.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Or even those SMPTE color bars stations broadcast when the station goes off the air.  Most TV stations are on 24/7 nowadays but Great Bear is consistently described as being way behind the times, run-down, and falling apart.  Actually showing something (anything really) on the TV's would liven up the interiors quite a bit.

And it'd be fun if radios periodically play ads for Summit soda, or Stacy's Grape Soda, stuff like that.  Little polish items that aren't important, don't really change the game in any meaningful way, but add charm.

100% agree!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, turtle777 said:

If I had the choice, I’d prefer Hinterland to work on meaningful game advancements (new regions, animals, resources), rather than useless “immersion” mechanics (microwave working during aurora).

-t

Why post in a thread just to say people ideas are useless? it's kinda rude.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, StoneyWolf said:

Why post in a thread just to say people ideas are useless? it's kinda rude.

Sorry, that’s my opinion. It’s subjective, sure, but these “enhancements” would be useless to me and my gameplay.

Forums are places where people voice their opinions.

-t