Hot water should warm us up

Dominique

Drinking a can of water just off the fire should give you  a little warmth inside, no ?  It is not the leaves of tea or the tomatoes in the soup which warm you up after all, it is the water 😀!  The Chinese have known that for centuries, loving to drink their kaishui (boiled water).

To appreciate that you have to start a game almost naked in HR , in the cold of night, jumping half frozen from cave to cave to get to Milton, finding miraculously a box of matches, a piece of coal and some sticks. And making water.

• Upvote 2

@Dominique
I can appreciate that the "warming up" buff is only applied to certain items (teas/coffee, certain canned foods, etcetera...).
I mean from a game perspective I think it might feel cheap if everything you cooked on (or warmed up near) a fire gave you that buff.  I think as is, it makes you prioritize the use of those "finite"/valuable resources.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I see what you are driving at, I mean yeah it would make sense that if you are drinking water you just freshly boiled that it would be hot, and thusly warm you up...  However, for the reasons I stated before, I think it's better that particular buff is reserved for the things it currently is (at least from a gameplay perspective).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

I think as is, it makes you prioritize the use of those "finite"/valuable resources.

I agree, it makes those items special. theres one item that is renewable with the warming up bonus though!

which brings me to:

@Dominique, carry some pre-cooked birch bark tea with you for a renewable way to buffer cold-emergencies. Birch bark is really easy to get once you know where to look!

I think the tea or soup provides more of a psychological buff against the cold anyways. Theres just something a good cup of tea irl hits that boild water cant. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts .

I didn’t know about the birch bark  tea  but that was not my point. When you are out of almost everything, as in my example, I feel it unrealistic that I couldn’t get some warmth from some just boiled hot water. Actually, it is « gamey » that we don’t. 

You will tell me but it is just a game 😉. Yes of course, but such a game has to strike a balance between « gameyism » (what a horrible word) and realism. 

Edited by Dominique
  • Upvote 1