Harder wintermute difficulty

RegentRelic

46 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

I would appreciate it if either episodes for and five were much harder or if there was a harder difficulty setting from hardens survivor.

I don't know that the game needs to be made "harder", but personally I would appreciate if Hardened Survivor does more than simply alter the amount of damage you sustain from wildlife attacks.  I loved the fact that Hardened Survivor changes the starting point for one of the side quests in Ep 3.  I wish that carried over into other quests as well.  For instance, when diagnosing the survivors condition, it would be nice if Hardened Survivor required that the player do more to treat them than just give them water.  Maybe splint broken bones, treat infections, suture a gash, etc.  Yes, one survivor does require insulin as a macguffin, and another also requires a bandage...but that's consistent across all three difficulty modes.

Guest jeffpeng

I personally found the difficulty adequate. I played my first run of EP3 in Hardened Survivor, and it yielded a bit of challenge, but not so much I had no time embracing the story, which, I presonally think, is exactly right. If I want something really, really hard .... that's what Survival with the appropriate ruleset is for. While my "gamer days" are pretty much numbered, I still think I'm slightly better trained at the game and especially more experienced than the average Story mode player. So if it's hard enough for me, I'm not sure how big the audience for "Really Hardened Survivor" would be. I mean if it's really too darn simple for you .... try beating EP3 with throwing torches only. Should be possible... in theory. :D 

Adding complexity as @ajb1978suggests is a good idea as that also adds depth to the game. That's actually a good way of adding difficulty that isn't just plain linear "world is colder", "wolfes bite harder" or "food is more scarce". It "involves" you more, requires you to do more things, requires you to find more solutions. I really think HL should consider this route, and if EP4&5 are "harder" that way .... I'm all for it. But if anyone asks if I need wolfes to do more damage, or blizzards to occur more frequently while I am trying to get to the next part of the plot ... nah, not really.