DEV DIARY – NOVEMBER 2019

Admin

On 12/8/2019 at 3:49 AM, stratvox said:

At any rate, I can hardly wait for the new update. It's going to be fun fun fun.

It is is is!

I also go through phases - sometimes I play TLD a lot and then I just take a break - but It's practically the only game I've been playing for the past 4 years. I haven't finished Wintermute though. I started twice or three times, but it never made me come back.

@Drifter Man Am I mistaken or did you basically invent, or at least bring to fame, the deadman challenge? If I'm not mistaken WOW, what a cool honor.  Dude well done!   If I am mistaken you still had an important role, IMHO, in bringing the idea into the game. 

(Apologies I haven't followed the news about the upcoming update here very well but I recall reading your deadman challenges while biting my nails ... loved them.)

Edited by Doc Gonzo

9 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

It is is is!

I also go through phases - sometimes I play TLD a lot and then I just take a break - but It's practically the only game I've been playing for the past 4 years. I haven't finished Wintermute though. I started twice or three times, but it never made me come back.

Yeah. I've been finding the redux to be much better; I reckon I'm about two-thirds of the way through Ep. 2. I am going to continue, but it is a bit of a slog. I do have high expectations for the cave bear encounter, though. Given the good things I've heard about Ep. 3 I'm also looking forward to checking that out.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to firing up my long run guy and heading to the new region to check it out. If it's possible to use the milling machine to rescue hatchets and knives that's a big deal, though in a way it's not so great wrt Voyageur. As a way to possibly introduce knives, hatchets, rifles, and revolvers to Interloper it's ... interesting.

13 hours ago, Doc Gonzo said:

@Drifter Man Am I mistaken or did you basically invent, or at least bring to fame, the deadman challenge? If I'm not mistaken WOW, what a cool honor.  Dude well done!   If I am mistaken you still had an important role, IMHO, in bringing the idea into the game. 

(Apologies I haven't followed the news about the upcoming update here very well but I recall reading your deadman challenges while biting my nails ... loved them.)

The honor is @Kinnasmash's, I believe, who created the challenge for a group of streamers. Definitely not mine! But great to hear you liked my stories!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/29/2019 at 4:59 AM, Admin said:

workshop_interior.thumb.png.af5432e4c66e4c8c532894e87a95ead9.png

Hello community,

The last six weeks have been pretty busy, with launching Episode Three on October 22nd, supporting our annual Four Days of Night Halloween event, and finalizing our next big Survival Mode update. We said we’d do our best to deliver you one more big update before the end of the year, and I’m here to tease out a bit more information about what to expect in December.

The next update is called ERRANT PILGRIM, and it features some new stuff we’re pretty excited about:

• A new region. This will be our first region to feature a two-part environmental puzzle of sorts — in order to unlock the region’s full potential, you’ll need to access it from two different locations. There’s a new area with several industrial buildings, and this region will be the first to feature Timberwolves in Survival Mode. Watch out!
  • A new challenge. We’ve taking inspiration from the community’s “Deadman” take on custom mode settings, and have created our own version as a standalone Challenge mode which, frankly, we think is the toughest experience we’ve ever made. Nobody in the office has been able to complete it yet. (Don’t worry, we’re exempting this new challenge from the Challenge Mastery achievement. We’re not monsters.)
  • New gameplay systems. Without getting into too much detail at the moment, we’re introducing a few new gear items, tools, and systems that should help make late-game survival a little more viable for most players. You might get a hint from the piece of concept art included in this dev diary.
  • New Feats. We haven’t shown the Feat system much love since we introduced it, so we’re adding three new Feats, to give you some gameplay objectives to work towards as handy new buffs for your Survival Mode games.
  • New Survival Mode music. 10+ more minutes of brand new music, from Survival mode soundtrack composer, Sascha Dikiciyan.
  • The Return of Fluffy. Hmm?
  • Did I mention Timberwolves in Survival Mode? Relax. They’re only in the new region. (For now.)

There are some other tidbits here and there, some quality of life updates, and of course, lots of bug fixes. We hope this next update comes just in time for you to fire up The Long Dark over the cold winter holiday, when it’s best appreciated!

You can expect the next Survival Mode update to land around the middle of December, depending on how long it takes us to get things optimized and the bugs cleaned up. We’ll launch it with our customary update video, fully narrated by yours truly. Should be fun.

Keep an eye open on our social channels as we’ll likely share more tidbits about the update leading up to its launch. As usual, this will be a free update for all current owners of The Long Dark, on Steam (where the game happens to currently be on Sale), Xbox OnePlayStation 4, and the other platforms we’re currently available on. This might also be a good moment to remind you to nominate The Long Dark in the Labour of Love category in the 2019 Steam Awards.

Thanks for reading, and look for more bits of info over the next couple of weeks!

– Raph

I get goosebumps here, thanks for posting this line. 

17 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Been pretty quiet...whatcha got brewin', Hinterland? :)

According to the news letter when you open the game there brewin' up some covid-19 so, they are all working from home. Which unless they planned a head means there not really doing much of any thing. I would say i'm hopeful that they are getting episode four ready for there spring release but, seeing that they have only had three months to really work on it and how it takes them about two years to finish an episode  I doubt it. 

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok
17 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

According to the news letter when you open the game there brewin' up some covid-19 so, 

At this point... Episode 4 is the least of my worries / concerns... I am more concerned about the lives lost from Covid19, and what's to come for our future... the future is looking pretty grim...

6 hours ago, kristaok said:

At this point... Episode 4 is the least of my worries / concerns... I am more concerned about the lives lost from Covid19, and what's to come for our future... the future is looking pretty grim...

Well be fine. Not every body will be but as a whole. I mean guys Spanish flue 40 million deaths and swine flue had 500,000 these are deaths. Covid-19 only has 2,000 and the vaccine is estimated to be done in late April or early may. Last I last checked still here so think that only thing there is to fear is fear it's self.

1 hour ago, RegentRelic said:

Well be fine. Not every body will be but as a whole. I mean guys Spanish flue 40 million deaths and swine flue had 500,000 these are deaths. Covid-19 only has 2,000 and the vaccine is estimated to be done in late April or early may. Last I last checked still here so think that only thing there is to fear is fear it's self.

Yeah, late April or early May 2021. 

In comparison to the Spanish Flu pandemic, covid-19 is at least as lethal and as transmissable. Given the state of the art in hospitals and care between now and a century ago it's entirely possible that it's significantly more lethal. This is serious.

We hope to have news for you in a bit, and as noted are continuing to work on the game from home. Having been a remote work studio previously it's an easier transition for us than for some studios. We are taking COVID-19 seriously and recommend that you do as well. 

This however is not a thread for COVID-19 discussion.

Fluffy was a wolf that lived in the dam. She's famous for having dispatched a large number of survivors, esp. on the player's first time in the dam... seen 'em off screaming as they say.

She was taken out of the dam when they added a lot of the stuff in to make it look like more than a bare room and it made it impossible to path her.

Edited by stratvox
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...