DEV DIARY – NOVEMBER 2019

Admin

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Stalk & Lope said:

I wish timberwolves were kept out of survival mode

I have the feeling Timberwolves are here to stay, and that we'll be seeing more of them, and everywhere, eventually. So, while I am a bit torn on if I like them or not, and do have quite pronounced concerns how they will affect Interloper games, I guess the best approach is to learn how to deal with them. It is possible, it is even easier than you thought once you figure out how to. But it takes some figuring out.

Guest jeffpeng
6 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Still not sure how the cross-like image plays in.

I guess at this point we can safely assume this was a hint at the new Deadman Challenge.

8 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

someone once suggested that the island may be sitting on an volcano, that has reawakened

I'm almost certain the entire phenomenon, not just the earthquakes, is due to Great Bear sitting on/near a continental fault line, whose real world counterpart would be the Nootka Fault.

But yeah .... shell casings are nice and good, but the question of how to make bullets without gunpowder is indeed a good one.

8 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I have the feeling Timberwolves are here to stay, and that we'll be seeing more of them, and everywhere, eventually. So, while I am a bit torn on if I like them or not, and do have quite pronounced concerns how they will affect Interloper games, I guess the best approach is to learn how to deal with them. It is possible, it is even easier than you thought once you figure out how to. But it takes some figuring out.

I think they have a place in survival mode, just not every map, and not omnipresent like in story mode. They'll lose their magic if they're too common. They practically force combat, so maybe gunsmithing was introduced alongside them for a renewable way to counterattack?. 

Guest jeffpeng
4 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

maybe gunsmithing was introduced alongside them for a renewable way to counterattack

Likely. Still leaves me a bit worried how to approach them with the bow. Using the rifle is suboptimal already albeit doable. Smaller packs can be deterred with a torch/flare. But fending off 5 wolves with a bow? I'm curious how that'll turn out. If .... well, if that actually will happen in loper. I could imagine loper packs being limited to 2, maybe 3. 

15 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Likely. Still leaves me a bit worried how to approach them with the bow. Using the rifle is suboptimal already albeit doable. Smaller packs can be deterred with a torch/flare. But fending off 5 wolves with a bow? I'm curious how that'll turn out. If .... well, if that actually will happen in loper. I could imagine loper packs being limited to 2, maybe 3. 

I'd take the bow or rifle any day over a flare or torch! I agree, loper packs should be reduced.

Edited by MarrowStone

Or we could have them just pack up over time. :D If you don't keep them cleared out the pack just larger and larger, sort of like the weather gets colder and colder. The larger packs would roam larger areas so avoidance could be done if you learned to track their movements. Yeah, I have an excess of imagination but now that I think about it, it could be a fun challenge. Wolfsbane.

Edited by Hilayla
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I'd take the bow or rifle any day over a flare or torch! I agree, loper packs should be reduced.

While I understand the point one has to remember the game is so more thrilling when death lurks. If not to common it's ok they force combat. Any normal loper player will see no combat at all when established with gear so to add danger could prove a way to keep tension in midgame. Maybe a toggle for timberwolves should be added to custom.

1 hour ago, Looper said:

While I understand the point one has to remember the game is so more thrilling when death lurks. If not to common it's ok they force combat. Any normal loper player will see no combat at all when established with gear so to add danger could prove a way to keep tension in midgame. Maybe a toggle for timberwolves should be added to custom.

I didn't say they'd have to be removed, just reduced. Remember that each individual timberwolf would do significantly more damage in that mode, and your most effective weapon is a bow. Interloper is characterized by its lower amount of wolves.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

Yes. I suspect a gunsmith system.

I suspect the very same thing, but how will this turn out in interloper? 

Guns in loper would be game changing, maybe an option to make metal arrows, this would make them last longer/more damage. 

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

For Interloper, I have a feeling that stones will become valuable for that sort of thing

That's actually a good idea. I mean ..... once you figure out how they are already pretty reliable against normal wolves. Not as reliable as evading them, of course .... but good enough to have an out if you really need one.

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

we'll have to see I guess

Yeah, of course all of this is just a lot of fan speculation fanfare. I don't think Hinterland will release a region with Timberwolves and go "yeah, but sorry, you can't go there on Interloper, ever". They'll have a plan how to make this work. Despite my isolated gripes with this or that I really do trust them to be better at making a game than I am :D 

8 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

They'll have a plan how to make this work.

Agreed.

Also in the fan speculation column, I suspect that the difficulty (be it stalker or interloper) won't affect the morale aspect... I think/hope it will impact the amount of damage they can do.  I mean I really really hope :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

20 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I mean Raph mentioned it... so I take that as confirmation.  :D 
Thank you to @ThePancakeLady for linking the twitter post.

So if Fluffy escaped the dam, presumably using the broken window in the last room as it's the only non-door opening ... does that mean fluffy is the lone wolf in Winding River?
It could explain why it stays at the dam's end of Winding River - familiar landmark and all that.

13 hours ago, Stalk & Lope said:

Really looking forward to the new region, but I wish timberwolves were kept out of survival mode, or maybe made optional in custom sandbox. I hate them. Didn't even finish chapter 3 because of them. I prefer sandbox anyway but regardless, I feel that's going to take away from the excitement of a new region for me.

And also there hasn't been any background music on PS4 in almost a year, so not going to be too happy if new music is added and we still can't hear any at all.

PS4 ... Sony Playstation 4 ... SONY as in Sony Music

That'll be the same Sony that issues 1000's of invalid copyright claims on Youtube videos and Twitch VODs for each valid one they issue, and they issue millions of valid ones weekly.  Could be a good reason for Hinterland to remove music from PS4 editions.

No idea if that's the reason, but as a paranoid Twitch-prone Youtuber who won't even hum to himself when recording anymore, it seems logical enough to me.

Edited by Gazbeard
typo fix

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Gazbeard
Raph had implied that Fluffy has been denning at:

Hide contents

The ice cave in Hushed River Valley

But that's Sketchy Wolf ... sketchy because it gets stuck in the cave walls after glitching into them if you lay a campfire down at a tunnel intersection (any tunnel intersection).

Guest jeffpeng

8 minutes ago, Gazbeard said:

That'll be the same Sony that issues 1000's of invalid copyright claims on Youtube videos and Twitch VODs for each valid on they issue, and they issue millions of valid ones weekly.  Could be a good reason for Hinterland to remove music from PS4 editions.

Maybe the most important reason I will never buy a Sony console. I don't even have to start on reasons not to buy a Microsoft console. Those big kraken corps really don't need even more feeding if all they do with their money is oppress the world. Same reasoning not to buy AAA games anymore. Sorry, quickrant. Had to.

1. I am sceptical to gun smith game mechanic. All handmade items are pictured as clumsy items, so ability to craft fireams is questionable. (Unless its some single shot pipe gun). Same with crafting ammo.

2. Crafting ammo is not a good idea in general. It destroys main disadvantage of firearms, that means finite source of ammunition. Also it brings mess with gun powder and other components.  Also its not trivial, so it doesnt in basic and clumsy crafting. Mentionend in point No. 1.

I think scenario, where machinery helps with createtion of more durable and advanced versions of your basic crafted items makes more items. Imagine if your handmade knife can get a better grip, because you can drill some holes in handle and rear part of blade.

But we dont know anything, so its just a speculation.

But like furnace, this machinery can be destination for lopers to craft some niche and unique items.

Edited by Moll

10 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Interloper is characterized by its lower amount of wolves.

Lol. 
And I don't play Loper, I prefer Stalker. I am seriously wondering how big the pack sizes will be in Stalker, and if more than one pack will spawn in the new region at a time. Early Stalker, when there are already wolves-o-plenty, and you are still in cruddy gear, with no weapons found yet, or a rifle/revolver but no ammo/cleaning kit... throw in a large Timber pack, and it's going to be really interesting.

Also wondering what rating the new region will have. I suspect it will be Advanced, not Beginner or Intermediate. Not a bad thing, the game kinda begs for more Advanced Regions, IMHO, with something in them (it, in this case) that is really compelling, and has a high risk vs. reward balance to it. I get the feeling that this is going to be a very challenging region to start in, and probably not one I will visit as a Stalker, until I am kitted out well, unless I choose a random spawn location, and RNJ dumps me in there, nearly nekkid (and outdoors... ).

I am so looking forward to this update! :D 

Edited by ThePancakeLady
minor typo correction...
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 9:58 PM, hozz1235 said:

Bring out the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!!

20191107195407_1.jpg

9 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

For Interloper, I have a feeling that stones will become valuable for that sort of thing (we'll have to see I guess).

Clearly @hozz1235 is planning ahead.

edit:

Maybe a visual aid might help.  Please excuse the crudeness of the drawing.

stoner.png.a3f04586bfd65ab08f1a9b522820e723.png 

This is just a prototype and is subject to design change.

The mechanism makes use of an internal combustion engine starter motor's instantaneous high torque.  These motors are series wound (pronounced like round but with a "W" ; an injury wound is pronounced tooned but with a "W" ) and the torque depends on how much amperes can be applied.  Battery is the power.   If a cog is inserted to make use of this instantaneous torque then a stone in proper position could be flung at high velocity.  The stones could be held within a pipe making this auto feed to the propelling cog.  The green cog represents the starter motor output and the red cog makes contact with the green cog and with the transfer of kinetic energy the projectile is propelled.

Edited by Ice Hole

On 11/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, Blinkin said:

I wasn't expecting this to be annouced so early. Amazing Hinterland team, you've outdone it again. :D

Ditto!

It's like when you're a child and you see the presents under the tree - that anticipation...for an ol' guy like myself.  Thanks for keeping it alive, HL!

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2019 at 12:41 PM, Moll said:

1. I am sceptical to gun smith game mechanic. All handmade items are pictured as clumsy items, so ability to craft fireams is questionable. (Unless its some single shot pipe gun). Same with crafting ammo.

The only thing really preventing you from creating ammo would be acquiring a primer.  Potassium nitrate deposits can be found in caves, and sulfur can be found near hot springs.  Great Bear is a geologically active island, it's entirely plausible there may be sulfur deposits to be found.  You could easily reclaim spent cartridges, craft gunpowder using charcoal, potassium nitrate, and sulfur, melt down copper or aluminum or whatever and cast your own bullets, then re-pack the cartridge with your homemade gunpowder and bullet.

Now you CAN reload a primer as well, but that gets really tricky because you have to remove the anvil and un-dent them from where the firing pin struck.  The anvils tend to crumble, and you can only un-dent a primer so many times before the metal's integrity fails completely.  And you need something to initiate percussion ignition like mercury fulminate, and without Amazon Prime I don't know where the hell you'd get that.  So the primers would be a legitimate limiting factor on ammo crafting.  But liberties with reality are taken in many other areas, so this could be one of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

The only thing really preventing you from creating ammo would be acquiring a primer.  Potassium nitrate deposits can be found in caves, and sulfur can be found near hot springs.  Great Bear is a geologically active island, it's entirely plausible there may be sulfur deposits to be found.  You could easily reclaim spent cartridges, craft gunpowder using charcoal, potassium nitrate, and sulfur, melt down copper or aluminum or whatever and cast your own bullets, then re-pack the cartridge with your homemade gunpowder and bullet.

Now you CAN reload a primer as well, but that gets really tricky because you have to remove the anvil and un-dent them from where the firing pin struck.  The anvils tend to crumble, and you can only un-dent a primer so many times before the metal's integrity fails completely.  And you need something to initiate percussion ignition like mercury fulminate, and without Amazon Prime I don't know where the hell you'd get that.  So the primers would be a legitimate limiting factor on ammo crafting.  But liberties with reality are taken in many other areas, so this could be one of them.

Too complicated. Keep it simple. Ammunition is better to keep as finite resource for factory made firearms. weak crafted gun powder can be used for pipe gun.

Btw, as percussion sensitive explosive for primer you can use head of matches. Red phosphorus mixed with powder glass can be sensitive.

Whole idea is immersion breaking, characters are not gunsmiths and with craftable ammo, you drastically decrease need for bow.

• Upvote 4