DEV DIARY – NOVEMBER 2019

Admin

3 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

That tool is an "end mill"  and it's very useful for cutting metal.  

Speaking of cutting metal have you heard the HU.

Hide contents

This is one of my favorite bands. I love HU. They were just in my town and I had to miss it. :(

3 hours ago, Morrick said:

(Oh, by the way, does Fluffy bite when you're playing on Pilgrim?)

In the past, when Fluffy was in Carter Hydro Dam, she did not spawn in there in Pilgrim Mode. The same way that Scruffy does not spawn in the cave in DP in Pilgrim Mode, and Fluffy 2.0 does not spawn in the Ice Cave in HRV in Pilgrim Mode. No one knows if this will change with the December Update, or if Timber Wolves will be aggressive toward players in Pilgrim Mode, except Hinterland.

12 hours ago, Admin said:
  • New Survival Mode music. 10+ more minutes of brand new music, from Survival mode soundtrack composer, Sascha Dikiciyan.

Looking forward to all this. As a music lover, I take the opportunity to say I luch I appreciate TLD's music and how well it fits the game.

It kinda reminds me how Neil Young made this  incredible sound track for the movie "Dead Man", bringing music into it not as a wrapping package but as something which becomes a part of the movie whithout making any concession to his art.

11 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

That tool is an "end mill"

Interesting, our shop teacher always just called it a drill press (we had an old thing that looked very similar - but our shop teacher was missing two fingers and admittedly didn't seem "burdened with an overabundance of schooling")...  I can check off my "learned something new today" quota.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

5 hours ago, Gazbeard said:

That all looks awesome @Raphael van Lierop - I'm really looking forward to it, thank you.

For the rest of you, I think you all missed the ripper hint in the picture ...

Hide contents

on the workbench next to the pedestal drill / bench press - there's a box of rifle ammo

;)

Yes. I suspect a gunsmith system.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
7 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

I thought we agreed that Fluffy resides in the River Valley caves!

Fluffy is in a quantum state in where she resides in multiple places at once until you "measure" her. Or she measures you. Kind of a matter of perspective.

24 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

shop teacher always just called it a drill press

I'm pretty sure that IS a drill press.
SB4115N.jpg

As far as I am aware an end mill is just a tip you install that is indeed used to cut or mill some material (rather than drilling into it). But you can use a drill press very much to actually drill into something, like making a bullet casing. Which, I guess, @ajb1978figured out correctly. Being able to make ammunition would indeed make late game much more viable and accessible for everyone not stuck on Loper. Yeah, I think that's it. It actually makes a lot of sense. 

8 hours ago, Hilayla said:

This is one of my favorite bands. I love HU. They were just in my town and I had to miss it. :(

When the HU started their tour I had not even heard about the band.  The music I was listening to prior must have changed the recommended algo-rhythm.

By the way this is the concert that brought HU.

27 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Interesting, our shop teacher always just called it a drill press

A drill press purpose is to cut in the Y plane (up and  down); a mill cuts in all three axis.  I was mistaken calling this an end mill as that refers to the cutting tool bit.

Thank you so much for the update! While I cannot say I've been playing non-stop (the issues folks were having made me disinclined to finish ep 3 right off and I got sidetracked by other games, I am looking forward to this new update. Winter is the best time for playing TLD.

Has any body figured out what the red box on top of the work bench next to the red drill. At first I thought it was a quality tool kit but then I zoomed in and it clearly isn’t. I tried photo shopping it to death to get the answer but the image is as it appears. I already tried turning up the brightness and didn’t find anything, just to saying this to save you the trouble. Speaking of turning up the brightness wonder if the telescope from the episode two intro will be in this new region.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

It was never confirmed, I failed to accept it even though people tried to manufacture it to be the truth by editing the wiki pages etc. 

I mean Raph mentioned it... so I take that as confirmation.  :D 
Thank you to @ThePancakeLady for linking the twitter post.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:05 AM, ThePancakeLady said:

We have not lost Fluffy. This gets brought up, a ton. I asked Raphael about it on twitter after the update 2 years ago (my gawd, time flies...), and here is his response: https://twitter.com/evilginger013/status/893311638648082432?s=20

5 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

Has any body figured out what the red box on top of the work bench next to the red drill.

It's also a good idea to keep in mind that this has been identified is concept art; meaning that this might not be the final form of the things we will see in the game... (not necessarily even lore consistent either, just a visualization of an idea - hence "concept art")

Just a passing thought... it might just be part of what looks like maybe an insustrial bandsaw(?) behind the workbench.  Can't really say... could be anything, could be nothing.  Might even be a Quality Tools set just sitting on something there in the background or the workbench itself.  o.O

Edited by ManicManiac

Oh and please...pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease...PLEASE put Cairn #1 back.  That is literally the one thing I am missing in an otherwise 100% perfect completionist run.

100% of everything explored.  Every container looted.  Every destructible object (items in my safehouses get a pass) broken down.  Every map completely filled in, no smudges.  All 13 notes collected.  All 71 buffer memories recorded.  And then....

...164 cairns discovered.  This is important to my mental health.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Really looking forward to the new region, but I wish timberwolves were kept out of survival mode, or maybe made optional in custom sandbox. I hate them. Didn't even finish chapter 3 because of them. I prefer sandbox anyway but regardless, I feel that's going to take away from the excitement of a new region for me.

And also there hasn't been any background music on PS4 in almost a year, so not going to be too happy if new music is added and we still can't hear any at all.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

...164 cairns discovered.  This is important to my mental health.

I suspect that isn't even a joke. It would drive me literally mad.

Just thinking about what @ajb1978 said about gunsmithing/ammo crafting:

Hiding this comment as a spoiler, as it may have some Wintermute Episode 3 spoilers in it, don't read it if you do not want to see possible spoilers for Story Mode:

Still not sure how the cross-like image plays in. Unless it is to be used for crushing collected or mined saltpeter, and crushing charcoal. Not sure where the sulfur would come from, but a large machine shop may well have some bags-o-chemicals laying around. Sulfur is also mined from some volcanic rocks (someone once suggested that the island may be sitting on an volcano, that has reawakened, which would explain some of the things we deal with in Wintermute Episode 3 (the earthquakes (seismic activity) that Astrid experiences...), which I am hoping will come to Survival Mode with this update.  So... mining as a new system, perhaps? Not sure how it helps late-game for Interloper player, who have no revolver or rifle, though. Firing crafted shotgun shells from a plastic distress pistol seems like a one-and-done thing (distress pistol blows up, since it's made of plastic, and you blow your hand off?) Probably overthinking it. Most likely overthinking it. We'll see. Soon™. December is almost here... and the whole crew at Hinterland will have earned a long Holiday break after this update goes live, no matter what this workshop is meant for.