Floating stick

MrsHoneypot

Those appear when there's been a change of elevation in the terrain, I think, where an object was resting on the terrain before the change. That's why they're concentrated around the areas where major changes to the maps were made. Objects that were in locations where the terrain was lowered float, objects that were in locations where it was raised are below ground level and not visible to the player.

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
6 hours ago, stratvox said:

Those appear when there's been a change of elevation in the terrain, I think, where an object was resting on the terrain before the change. That's why they're concentrated around the areas where major changes to the maps were made. Objects that were in locations where the terrain was lowered float, objects that were in locations where it was raised are below ground level and not visible to the player.

^ This for the most part. A few spawn points indeed seem to be not yet adjusted to new terrain, so you get the occasional floating stick even in newly generated games.

This problem is actually not easily fixed. I would have an idea how to tackled that, but it's a potential performance hazard, so chances are the people at HL already thought of it, possibly even tested it ... and came to the conclusion that it would eat too much CPU time.