Dum_Gen

December Survival Mode update teaser

7 hours ago, stay puft said:

Marshmallows are still better then a lazy stonERwolf so... :)

But anyways clearly this cross means they are adding Vampires to the game.

I'm the stoner?  say's the man who thinks vampire's will be added 🧛‍♀️

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I personally forbid anyone critizing marshmallows. There are rules in this world.

haha...😆   I'm sure you already know this but just thought I'd point out that me and Puft are buds and are completely joking with each other :) 

3 hours ago, stay puft said:

lol

Everyone loves marshmallows!!...   Except for maybe a particular Wolf who may or may not be, stoned..

Again says the man who thinks vampires will be added 🧛‍♀️ 😆

Edited by StoneyWolf
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Now to reflect on those other points of view... for those who do feel, "I'm good at survival, but there is nothing left I can think of to do..."  Perhaps one solution for the "maybe column" might be to have the Old Bear make an appearance in survival mode (after 500 days or 1000 days or whatever) and be that "Tireless Menace," constantly hunting us down.

This would be awesome IMO especially if he followed you zone to zone you'd only be able to run from him for so long eventually you'll need to hunt and cook which could prove quite difficult with The Old Bear on your trail.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you probably more than you think, Manic.  I would prefer the current state than anything artificially inserted just to make things exciting for people in the late game or give an overt sense of purpose (also the use of the term "problem" is somewhat just to find the terminology of the complaint, not my own).  It feels like you'd just be satisfying sort of a superficial appetite of the need for interest and attention grabbing.  There's too much of that appeasement in the world.  I love sort of the pointlessness of the survival mode and the time spent coping with boredom.  That said,  I think there could be ways to introduce organic parts of the game and experience to just make it more compelling in those late period, in spots and to some degree.  I think making it more difficult, which it seems will happen (and what was touched on as the main sticking point in that same mailbag), will help this as a byproduct.  However, I'm kinda hoping it will be separately addressed as well that has some overlap with the other changes.  The old bear is a nice idea, but also maybe something with the zones or locations being affected...more collapse or something and maybe ways to slow it.  I have no idea.  But I do like your points on "up to us to find creative ways to just live" because I hope that any changes won't also ruin that sort of open space to be a bit bored and accomplished and find routines.  I wonder if there's a balance for all of it - some sort of tuning.

• Upvote 2

If some of the things from Wintermute Episode 3 are added to Survival...

(and I will not be naming those things to avoid posting spoilers for anyone who has not played Wintemute Ep 3 yet, and still wants to, without the loss of discovery and that "new car" feeling you can get from not having people shove spoilers in your face everywhere you look...)

... I think the possibility of even making it to mid-late game is going to become much more interesting, challenging, and give some new options  and difficulties to players. And potentially change playstyles a bit. Without having a Legendary Mythical Bear chasing you around the game world.

And if you want to know, and don't care about possible spoilers for Wintermute Ep 3, there's a whole subforum on Wintermute to go look through. 🔭

(Asking nicely... please don't post Wintemute spoilers here. Some folks actually do play and enjoy Survival Mode while waiting for all 5 Episodes to be released before they play the Story Mode.) 

And...🥞🥞 🥞 are way better than marshmallows, any day, any place, any time.

;) 

• Like 2

Back on topic, I hope this is a new challenge, where you have to gather all the corpses on GB island, and bring them to a church (milton or DP) to give them a proper burial. This would make use of the new "carry someone" system added in ep3.

17 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

If some of the things from Wintermute Episode 3 are added to Survival...
[text removed for brevity]
... I think the possibility of even making it to mid-late game is going to become much more interesting, challenging, and give some new options  and difficulties to players. And potentially change playstyles a bit. Without having a Legendary Mythical Bear chasing you around the game world.

Agreed.
Though honestly, my small bit about the old bear was just kind of an off the cuff remark at the time...  My main point was that Survival Mode was originally called Sandbox, and I feel like it should more or less stay that way (as an "open-world sandbox").  I am rather excited to see what this update will bring.  I dare not speculate, but there are a few things I'm really hoping for. :) 

18 hours ago, dbmurph22 said:

I agree with you probably more than you think, Manic.  I would prefer the current state than anything artificially inserted just to make things exciting for people in the late game or give an overt sense of purpose (also the use of the term "problem" is somewhat just to find the terminology of the complaint, not my own).

I didn't mean to imply anything as to the rest of your post... or even infer anything into your use of the phrase per se.  It's just one of those phrases that does kind of make me bristle a little bit :D (but I mean nothing personal towards you)

I just find that in general, there seem to be too many people that have seemingly come to expect the sandbox to do much more of the "leg work" in terms of long-term survival, goals, and gameplay than I think it can be reasonably responsible for. :) After all the nature of a sandbox is just to provide us a world to play in.  The fun, I think, is meant to be emergent from how we choose to play in that world. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Please avoid discussing details about Episode 3.

Thank you.

• Like 1

It would actually be pretty neat if they added in an asynchronous multiplayer element where you could find the graves of other players and get some random items they had on them when they slipped into the long dark. I know it is a very solitary game and it would be a big change to introduce something like that, but it's an interesting idea. 

If it is a new challenge, I wouldn't rule out that it might be inspired by forum-goers. The "Sea to Summit" run pre-dated the initial release of the official challenges. The lonely lighthouse challenge was fairly similar in concept to what we were doing in Sea to Summit. I like the challenges, even if they tend to be a one and done thing.  

But it is a Survival update, and so I don't think it would be limited to just new challenges. Whether it's another experience mode or some kind of added feature that affects all experience modes, I'm intrigued. 

• Like 2

On 11/25/2019 at 3:38 AM, StoneyWolf said:

I'm sure you already know this but just thought I'd point out that me and Puft are buds and are completely joking with each other

That still doesn't change the fact that someone has to defend Marshmallows. They are just human, too ... sorta... kinda. That's probably why we eat them. This is getting weird. Gtg.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 8:35 PM, Hilayla said:

Do I like marshmallow? I like real marshmallows. The gelatin weirdness that passes for marshmallow today not so much,

That's right.  Looked into this a few years ago and discovered the mallow plant.

Marshmallow.jpg

Cannot stand marshmallows that are pseudu, imitation, fake, phoney, bogus, artificial, mock, sham, factitous and not genuine.

Also I agree all wolves should be protected. 🐺:wolf:

• Like 1

I"m sorry I called you gelatin weirdness. :P The icon makes me think of something my dad would say when I asked to many questions about what something was or did. "It's for making fools ask stupid questions." Which, indeed, would be something we weren't thinking of. 🤣

Edited by Hilayla
  • Like 1

Zombies......

sorry wrong forum

honestly though what ever it is it'll keep me playing and that's nothing but good...

• Like 1

My initial thought was Toilet paper (!), at long last.

After reflection, my money is on a new challenge

• Like 1

Speculation:  Hmm...a new setting/difficulty in which there is no longer perma-death?  Perhaps you need to find a way back to your body which is marked by the cross...

Nice call guys!

Looks like the teased concept art was for a new deadman-ish challenge, based on the notes in the new dev diary.  Cheers! 

Should be fun.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 2:46 PM, dbmurph22 said:

A stake to mark where the meat is buried!

unggggggggggg yes I want to make meat caches!

but yes I also want to bury the dead...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stay puft said:

Who was it again that said that icon was an official Deadman challenge??? :)

(joking)

Technically I think you said deadman difficulty mode and marrow said "challenge." :)

Who wins?

You two will have to fight it out for the glory, hopefully by doing the challenge when it comes out.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, stay puft said:

Technically I said both... :)

Yeah maybe although apparently none of them can beat it so we'll have to see.. plus I was never that amazing at Deadman anyways so MarrowStone would probably win.

My only suspicion was that it had more detail in the icon than the other survival mode icons. @stay puft was the one to specifically say it was maybe  the challenge mode icons, (actually before i stated they dont fit with the suvival ones) and then @dbmurph22 built on it by saying that making it a survival difficulty would be kind of redundant since we already can.  

So i think it goes to the marshmallow man. :P

And D.B Cooper/Murph pretty much nailed down the reason. 

:coffee:

In the next aurora a delivery drone will crash next to you, filled with junk mail and one stale granola bar at 67% condition. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 12:50 AM, Lohaan said:

Looks like a new difficulty mode....one above Interloper...

On 11/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, StoneyWolf said:

nope.. the only way to recover are stims and birch bark tea

I'm really excited about a new difficulty mode or an official challenge designed around DMC. Really tired of entering that code every time I start a new run (and I die a lot) or having to update the code every time there's a hotfix. More than that, if true, I'm grateful that Hinterland genuinely listens to us and is willing to implement some of our suggestions. Birch bark tea ruined vanilla DMC, it would be nice to have it back. Please let us keep the tea though, just remove the recovery. Renewable sources of heat are invaluable on Loper and DMC. :coffee:

On 11/23/2019 at 1:38 AM, Lonelyloper said:

Does anyone know the actual percentages for how popular each difficulty is?

I've tried looking online and I couldn't find out, but it would be interesting to know. 

I've always been curious about this as well. Everyone knows the majority plays Voyager, but I'd be interested to know what the percentage of us out there are Lopers. I'm guessing 10-20%? We Happy Few. 

On 11/26/2019 at 10:46 AM, jeffpeng said:

That still doesn't change the fact that someone has to defend Marshmallows. They are just human, too ... sorta... kinda. That's probably why we eat them. This is getting weird. Gtg.

Marshmallows are nasty.🤢  I have spoken. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jhickie said:

Marshmallows are nasty.🤢  I have spoken. 

This is how the great feuds find their beginning. We shall be arch enemies, very well!

On 12/2/2019 at 3:36 PM, dbmurph22 said:

Technically I think you said deadman difficulty mode and marrow said "challenge." :)

Who wins?

You two will have to fight it out for the glory, hopefully by doing the challenge when it comes out.

That's when I called it.

Edited by stratvox
embeddery
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

This is how the great feuds find their beginning. We shall be arch enemies, very well!

Fellow TLD survivor, brothers in arms. 

Enemies in all things confectionery and gelatin.

Both can be true. Cheers! 😄:coffee: