Dum_Gen

December Survival Mode update teaser

I don't expect this, but I would love the custom settings to be more custom. Be able to turn animal sliders all the way to 1% so it could be a month before you see a deer but then also have the deer have realistic meat amounts and for you to eat a sane amount of food.

Really what I want is a text file with all the numbers, like this essentially:

[rabbit]

weight range = 1, 3
calories per kilo = 1200
spawn rate = 0.5
etc, etc

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Official Implementation of the Deadman challenge?

I'm not very active at TLD sadly. Can someone explaine the Deadman Challenge to me?

1 hour ago, Karl Grylls said:

I'm not very active at TLD sadly. Can someone explaine the Deadman Challenge to me?

It's a custom mode that has no condition recovery at all.  So if you lose some condition you can never get it back, not by sleeping or any slow non-sleep recovery.  Birch bark tea threw this for a bit of loop since it gives day recovery, but for those that currently do the challenge I believe there's vow to not use the tea.  I also think there's a separate challenge that's deadman with the tea.

Edit: And the rest of the settings are either harder than interloper or around there.

Edited by dbmurph22
  • Upvote 1

So here's what I see.  A cross, that appears to have snow on it, along with a scrap of cloth waving in the breeze.  Although it does resemble the bear spear, I think this is in fact just a fashioned wooden cross, because of that accumulated snow. 

Now, what does this cross indicate?  The style of artwork does resemble the icons used for the experience modes.  However Interloper players are a minority, and "Deadman" players are an even smaller subset of that, so it does not seem likely to me that HL would invest time and resources to cater to the smallest subset of players.  If you're going to make a change to the game, the logical choice would be to give as many people something new to play with as possible.  Custom mode for example, gives everyone the ability to craft their own experience, as easy or as to make the game as hard as you want.  Why invest time making an official Deadman template when you can already do it yourself?  So I think we can rule that out.

It also resembles the icons used in the crafting menu.  So one possibility is it might be a craftable blizzard marker.  The cloth is waving in the breeze, and the particles seem to be snow.  So maybe this is a way to craft some sort of obvious marker, to help you find your way in a blizzard.   Another possibility is a craftable grave marker, which you can then use to bury corpses, as has already been suggested.  But while these would be marginally useful...would people really make that much use out of it?  A few people would bury corpses sure, and a few would craft blizzard markers.  But I don't think the majority would bother.

Which brings me to my conclusion.  That art style also resembles a third kind of icon...Challenge modes.  I think it is in fact intended to be a blizzard marker.  And we know the game has the capability for an All Blizzard All The Time mode, thanks to day 4 of 4DON, so the code is already there.  I'm guessing that this is indicative of a new Challenge mode, where the player is tasked with navigating from one place to another in a never-ending raging blizzard.

• Upvote 4

You might be right, or you might be wrong, but I like your analysis.

This is what I like about the game. Many of us think along similar logical lines.

Wait a second. Is that toilet paper wrapped arround the cross? I have been waiting so many days for it. I will be back in 10 minutes

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stay puft said:

Hinterland has stated before that they don't like people like me surviving 1000s of days on interloper 

The Steadfast Ranger update had little for interloper players 

Understood, but you are in the distinct minority.  These folks are running a business, and catering to the minority is a poor business decision.  This is why I think some sort of ultra-hard difficulty is highly unlikely.  Edit: Especially since you can currently craft your own, via Custom.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1

I 100% think a major component of this survival update is to put some teeth back in the game so I agree with the sentiment behind  the new difficulty mode prediction, but I'm not sure that's exactly how the sentiment will play out (or maybe it will be one part of it).  I know they value that teeth in the game -  no tutorials, permadeath, you're not meant to last in the quiet apocalypse, but be a speck of snow of its memory.  And the situations of players surviving incredibly long, the many discussions of late game boredom, advanced tactics to make the game easier, and similar things have been in the queue to be addressed.  The wolf baiting thing was just an early signal for that.  I do also agree with the thought an update would be geared to many players, not just the subset of the subset who play interloper without much difficulty and need deadman-ish.  All the info here and there is about increasing the difficulty and adding more punishment.

Though you could both be right.  It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I tend to think that a new difficulty mode could be introduced, but the update will be more geared to adding difficulty to all game modes.  Or at least complications.  I mean, just either added elements to the game that will take things away, add decisions or streamline different elements together to take away work arounds, or maybe add some unpredictability.  I think later game stuff seems like an easy target since it applies to all difficulty sliders (I know they already have increasing bad weather and wildlife reduction, but maybe that's it.  Maybe something more there).

The blizzard marker is a decent thought, but I would think it would look more like the blizzard lines from early Ep 3 (i'm in mid to early e3).  Then again, that would be a lot of rope for long distances, so maybe this could be it.

I think people are slightly worried about riskier random elements being introduced that would arbitrarily end runs.  But, I don't know, it's likely those will be included with ways to mitigate risk.  A lot of the words and game elements I've seen have always had that sort of joint philosophy.  We'll see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stay puft said:

I hear what your saying and I'm not against your ideas but to my understanding and I could be wrong(not trying to put words in their mouths) Hinterland has expressed that they are looking into how some interlopers play the game and are not thrilled with the fact that some are living so long which could imply that they want to (A) make interloper harder or (B) create a new difficulty.

I'm just addressing your "we can rule that out part" not the rest of your comment.

I respect your views. I disagree.  And with that, I think we understand each other.  May the odds be ever in your favor :)

6 hours ago, stay puft said:

I haven't played Deadman in a while so I'm not sure if the code has changed but here's the code I know give it a try some time :) 

8MHI-/z8M-Dw+/-wSWm-bAAA

thank you for the code. I couldn't find anything but YT-Videos and Steam posts about this challenge. Neither of them was helpful. Can someone explain me what's the special thing about this challenge is?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I respect your views. I disagree.  And with that, I think we understand each other.  May the odds be ever in your favor :)

@stay puft is not saying he's right he's saying that your wrong to assume he's wrong.

so you disagree that we shouldn't rule anything out? Maybe you know something we don't?🙂

Edited by StoneyWolf
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Karl Grylls said:

Can someone explain me what's the special thing about this challenge is?

it's pretty much all settings set to the hardest and no recovery condition... except for birch bark tea and stims

Edited by StoneyWolf
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

All I know is that I hope the new update doesn't include (with all due respect) the Marshmallow Man and Michael Rapaport (I know this is probably wrong) dueling in the snow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acada said:

Wait a second. Is that toilet paper wrapped arround the cross? I have been waiting so many days for it. I will be back in 10 minutes

Don't encourage the masses to once again suggest they add expelling waste functions to the game, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It's a grave, for when a bear chases me and I need somewhere to hide... and die... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kristaok said:

It's a grave, for when a bear chases me and I need somewhere to hide... and die... 

Don't be so grave about your fortunes. What will actually happen is that it will die and you will take its hide!

8 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Understood, but you are in the distinct minority.  These folks are running a business, and catering to the minority is a poor business decision.  This is why I think some sort of ultra-hard difficulty is highly unlikely.  Edit: Especially since you can currently craft your own, via Custom.

Does anyone know the actual percentages for how popular each difficulty is?

I've tried looking online and I couldn't find out, but it would be interesting to know. 

4 hours ago, kristaok said:

Or maybe they're adding the timber wolves to survival and we're all gonna die lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stay puft said:

And I have no idea what your implying with your last comment.

Eh just a Hunger Games reference.  Not implying anything, I just sometimes say that as a way of saying "Goodbye, farewell" etc.

3 hours ago, Lonelyloper said:

Does anyone know the actual percentages for how popular each difficulty is?

I've tried looking online and I couldn't find out, but it would be interesting to know. 

Raph himself answered that a long time ago but I couldn't find the post. If I recall correctly, Voyager is the absolute king for survival mode, Stalker and pilgrim are played less ( I don't recall which one is the most popular of the pair ) and Interloper is played only by a small percentage of players. Hence why I'm grateful for all the loot table mechanics and stuff that is custom tailored for loper by Hinterland. 

As for the topic at hand, if the game's current UI is to be kept as is, this could as others pointed out, indicate a new difficulty mode ( proper deadman, finally? ). The picture has the same  trailing misty brackground from the other difficutly modes. Raph's riddle states that it isn't what you think it is, I'd assume he believes people will associate the cross with burials or the clothwrap will give the impression this is the bear spear on survival. 

gotcharaph.png.214205d94cbaecd609050235e7662667.png

I'm keen to see if the new region will be ready for release in this upcoming update or only the next one. I doubt it'll be Perseverance Mills since they'll most likely reveal it in story mode first. 

Cheers and nice (and responsible) weekend to everyone! :coffee:

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, StoneyWolf said:

it's pretty much all settings set to the hardest and no recovery condition... except for birch bark tea and stims

not even sleeping? oO

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

It also resembles the icons used in the crafting menu.  So one possibility is it might be a craftable blizzard marker. 

Like this one?

Related image

Edited by Dum_Gen
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1