Hacksaw Usage

hozz1235

Whenever you use the hacksaw to break down a "metal" item, it seems to decrease the quality of the hacksaw by 5% despite what you are breaking down.  Now, I don't understand why my hacksaw quality is decreased by 5% when breaking down a metal bucket which takes @30 minutes to break down vs. a metal shelf which takes 3 HOURS to break down?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

It takes the same amount of condition to open containers on TWM, which is something you do in mere seconds. Afaik hatchets and hammers also take always the same amount of condition breaking down furniture, no matter how long that actually takes. It simply isn't a very well written part of the game. I guess we should be grateful using the hacksaw to cut little bunnies into pieces doesn't take 5% per 500 grams.

Guest jeffpeng

I do that all the time. Early in a game when I don't yet have a knife, but I am a bloody beginner at harvesting carcasses using the hacksaw to cut the time I require to do that in half. Hacksaws can be repaired, tool boxes can be repaired, and scrap metal is all but abundant. Even when I do have a knife I tend to use the hacksaw when time is not of the essence, but I also have no time to waste doing it with my bare hands.

But yeah, imagining a real world person putting a big bass hacksaw to a cute, little, tiny, innocent ..... 😭

Good point by the OP, some of the tool usage like carcass harvesting and crafting scales with actual time spent, and some don't. I assume this was done for gameplay reasons since there's a good system in place for the aforementioned activities. I for one am grateful of the fact that I can saw 15 whole sets of steel shelves before I need to get on with repairing my hacksaw. ( We need a hacksaw emoji, forum admins... )

I also wish that tool condition had an impact on time taken to accomplish tasks, that'd be mega but a whole new mechanic altogether I reckon. 

Metal scraps are abundant, the necessary red/blue toolboxes a little less... The more I go , the more I do carcass harvesting bare handed, when I  don't have the toolbox, with a good fire lit after the kill, to save my precious saw or artisanal hatchet (whetting stones have a limited life too !)  as long as possible. Yes, very messy and smelly .

Edited by Dominique

That was fixed years ago. I don't recall ever being able to not hack up cedar limbs with a hacksaw. It just takes longer and wastes way too much metal. Crafting improvised hatchets is significantly cheaper in both time and metal for hacking up tree limbs than using and repairing hacksaws.

Guest jeffpeng
On 11/23/2019 at 3:26 PM, Dan_ said:

We need a hacksaw emoji

Seconded. Hacksaw_icon.png.d217d4f0a8ae69cfe81b02813a344e2f.png

2 hours ago, stratvox said:

I don't recall ever being able to not hack up cedar limbs with a hacksaw

Iirc the big ones that yield 5 cedar don't work with the hacksaw. But I could be mistaken.

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

These are repairable also so you essentially have unlimited hacksaw usage.  I use it and the Heavy Hammer whenever possible.

Quality advice. Plus: If you ever come to the point where there's no more harvestable metal scraps in the game .... congratulations, you officially beat the game.

20 hours ago, Noble Rotter said:

You could also hack up Fir Limbs with it too, but not Cedar Limbs unless that has been fixed.

There's two limb sizes for each.  The normal sized ones that respawn can be broken down with a hacksaw.  The larger ones that are placed objects and do not respawn still require a hatchet.

• Upvote 1