Salt and sugar

1martis1

Don't know if it was proposed or discussed about it 😅

So as we all know most of the dishes requires a little sparkle of salt, so almost in every house you can found it. Well sugar maybe are little scarcer in these times and maybe we can remove it from this topic right away. But salt is quite unique ingredient, it is capable to lower freezing point and also prolonging food validity. My suggestion is adding at least salt and make it interactive with raw food (prolonging food condition). It also might have some interaction with carcasses maybe? But we also know that salt makes us quite thirsty, so if we use that food we would get more thirsty.

Also there is sugar mentioned in topic, maybe adding sugar to coffee or teas could give it more calories, or... We could eat it right away - and get calories, but if we use it to much it could have some kinda of consequences. Moreover I'm interested in idea of smoking fish, but I think I saw somewhere this topic so i'm not getting it too wide with this food interacting.

Its kinda discussion topic, I would like to hear all of yours opinions on this, maybe I could find some tips of conserving food :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

Yeah the salt thing has been proposed before. I don't think the devs have a particular interest in making food last longer.

Plus .... you can pretty much leave uncooked meat in the snow forever, even after dropping to 0%, then cook it back up to 50%, and once you have cooking 5 you can't even get sick from it. So we can already preserve meat for-pretty-much-ever.

But in general I personally would really like an option to basically make jerky ourselves. Salty, long lasting and non-smelly food made of meat we can actually produce outselves. It would actually fill in a gap that become apparent once you run out of old-world food and cattails: you can't bring food on your travels unless you want to live with some uninvited company.

Edited by jeffpeng

With Lost and Found largely wiping out 0% meat and fish and canned food, there may now be an actual case for an alternate means of preserving food unless how it functions is modified. It might not be salted meats, but things like smoked meat and such might be worthwhile to implement. 

I doubt that they would introduce a processed product that had no scent effect unless there was some other property that offset that, but we'll have to wait and see.

On 11/21/2019 at 10:43 PM, jeffpeng said:

But in general I personally would really like an option to basically make jerky ourselves. Salty, long lasting and non-smelly food made of meat we can actually produce outselves. It would actually fill in a gap that become apparent once you run out of old-world food and cattails: you can't bring food on your travels unless you want to live with some uninvited company.

I completely agree and would love this to be added. 

• Upvote 1