A new mine entrance ?

peteloud

I have played over 3,000 game days with TLD Survival, mostly at the Voyager - Stalker level, so I am fairly familiar with the regions.  Today I had a surprise in a Survival game.   I found a new mine entrance.  The mine entrance is not hidden. It is easy to see from a popular route.  I am amazed that I have not seen any references to it in the comments.  I am baffled.

I have ventured in a little, cautiously.  There are aspects that could make it a death trap.  I suspect that I need to be well prepared.   I shall finish my bit of work restocking some bases and making some arrows then return and explore it properly.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Serenity,

Thanks for that information.  I gave up Ep.3 when I became sick of timberwolf attacks so didn't get as far as the mine bit.  I had seen a few comments about a mine or cave in Ep.3 and I wondered if the new entrance that I have just found was linked to that cave/mine.  

I have picked up a lamp and a load of food, anticipating that I might get stuck in the mine waiting for an aurora, so I shall return to it, but now I am expecting to reach a blockage and have to return and exit.

The elevator at this level seems to be the lower end of the mine.  It would seem unlikely that even a tidal wave would do more than momentarily flood the entrance tunnel. Maybe climate change in a couple centuries of sea level rise and shoreline subsidence might start to threaten the mine. 

• 4 weeks later...

Having my survivors occupied in other regions, I could only access this new mine entrance today. Maybe I've missed something, but where does the lift go? I entered the 'regular' entrance located higher up, but there was no lift there. I assumed it connected the two entrances. *puzzled face*

On 12/28/2019 at 1:20 AM, turtle777 said:

Can one get “cabin fever” while stuck in the mine in-between auroras ?

-t

hell yeah!

just went down here to see if I could find anything that may help with the quest to find the mythical cannery shortcut (see separate thread).  I knew it could be a while before I got out so took plenty of fuel and food, but still...

I hadn't factored in cabin fever, so ended up stranded, unable to rest or sleep or advance time, listening to drips and creaks in the dark for about 4 real time hours.  I had some very well maintained guns and tools by the end of it (you can advance time quicker by repairing or breaking stuff down).  

I think as you can't start fires in this mine (as it is 'inside') but can in others, this was a dastardly/genius deliberate scenario put in by Hinterland.  certainly one of the most atmospheric experiences I've had in the game, although I was lucky I had a day off and could let the game roll in the background- may not have been as much fun if I'd lost a long run through not being able to save (although in an emergency I suppose you could engineer a sprain to instigate the save mechanism?).

I went from days 1-3 merrily chewing wolf meat and hoping to keep my well fed bonus and a store of consumables for a future visit, to day 7 with an empty store, sipping cold coffee in the dark as my vital signs slipped away, forlornly watching the strange flickering glow of the water across from the dead elevator... just in time I got lucky and it flicked into life. 

If you've ever wondered why so much gear was left in Scott's Antarctic hut, I now know that you do not mess about gathering up gear when a chance of escape presents itself- I was out of there!

Found nothing that would relate to the cannery problem btw.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

hell yeah!

I think as you can't start fires in this mine (as it is 'inside') but can in others,

Found nothing that would relate to the cannery problem btw.

I have already planned to bring plenty of food and water, just in case. Since I expected that Cabin Fever would apply, my plan is to rush through the mine during the aurora, and be out before it ends. Bring the supplies just in case.

I’m very surprised you can’t star fires - it was possible in Ep. 3. Could be a bug.

At any rate, I’m not even sure the whole thing is worth it.

Did you find any valuable loot ?

-t

apologies if the 'hidden contents' aren't hidden here, I'm having issues with the spoiler syntax for some reason:

[spoiler]2 torches, lantern, revolver, rifle, military ration, axe, coal, bedroll[/spoiler]

so yeah, worth a quick 'in and out' loot run if you can time it well.

Edited by Valuable Hunting Knife
trying to hide spoiler

On 12/31/2019 at 12:12 PM, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

so yeah, worth a quick 'in and out' loot run if you can time it well.

Well, I'm all prepped, got the elevator full of supplies (just in case), and now I have been waiting 14 days for an aurora. I'm bored.

Also, just shows that you absolutely shouldn't take the risk of getting stuck in the mine. You can't fight off cabin fever for 14 days, unless you bring crazy loads of prepared coffee with you.

-t

2 hours ago, turtle777 said:

Well, I'm all prepped, got the elevator full of supplies (just in case), and now I have been waiting 14 days for an aurora. I'm bored.

Also, just shows that you absolutely shouldn't take the risk of getting stuck in the mine. You can't fight off cabin fever for 14 days, unless you bring crazy loads of prepared coffee with you.

-t

It's not so much the in game risk (I got out of my 'epic'  mine escapade only about 15% down on health and having lost my well fed bonus) so much as the real time drain as you can't skip time, even when cooking.  There's a few crates and shelves to break down but not much, I didn't work out the real time per day ratio but would estimate between 30min-1hr per in game day.  even allowing for your 14 day wait to get down so far, that's potentially helluva long session....

TLDR: pull a sicky/ wait for a bank holiday before going anywhere near this mine 😉

20191231100457_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

It's not so much the in game risk (I got out of my 'epic'  mine escapade only about 15% down on health and having lost my well fed bonus) so much as the real time drain as you can't skip time, even when cooking.  

I’m not sure I follow.

I thought you said earlier that you can’t start a fire. How do you cook then ?

Also, why can’t you just pass time as usual (space bar, select bed roll, and then pass time) ? Is this due to cabin fever ?

I’ve never had cabin fever, only risk of it. While at risk, you can pass time as usual  

-t

Hey Turtle777

the answer to your 1st query is in my last photo 😃  The difference with this mine over the other mines is that you can't place a fire as it has been designated 'indoors' (which also then means time spent here counts towards your cabin fever risk).  Also, even when using the fire drum, if you have cabin fever you can't skip time whilst cooking, and although a watched pot does actually boil it takes its sweet time...

So yeah, big difference between risk of cabin fever and actually having the affliction- no, you can't advance time using either the bedroll or the playing card icon if you have cabin fever.  Normally, if you have it you can just nip to the nearest cave and sleep it off, but that's not an option if trapped in this mine.

So as far as I could work out the only ways to artificially advance time in this scenario were by crafting, repairing and breaking down items.