Porridge - Food Item

Menarogue25

I was thinking that as a food item in the game you could collect oats. Then maybe cook it on the fire with water or even condensed milk. This would give maybe 600 calories but would have the warming up bonus if hot from the fire and a new bonus called slow calorie burn in which the rate at which calories are used up is slower. Apparently thats what oats are good for. I think. I haven’t really properly researched it. Tell me what you think 🤔 

• Upvote 3

Guest jeffpeng
17 hours ago, Menarogue25 said:

Tell me what you think

Okay.

a new bonus called slow calorie burn

I think messing around with calorie consumption could have hard to anticipate side effects. I've been in favor of upping available calories in the in exchange for actually harsh starvation punishment for a long time, but that's another topic entirely. Unless the calorie system is substantially reworked at the same time this is a potential balancing hazard.

600 calories but would have the warming up bonus if hot from the fire

Which would put it equal with a can of beans, which is fair I think

cook it on the fire with water or even condensed milk

Cooking it with condensed milk would effectively kill some calories, so that's not a good idea (despite being probably more palatable). But cooking it with water would give oats an interesting place in the game: relatively light weight food that lasts a rather long time, but actually requires you to prepare it first and also takes water to make. The only other "food" in the game that works this way is coffee and the various teas. So, yeah, I think that could actually be an interesting addition to the list of available food items.

9 hours ago, kristaok said:

I would like to see more food types

I agree, and then again I don't. The world would be quite a bit more colorful if we could find several types of choclate bars, more types of canned food, maybe small little stinky cans of cat food (urgh), potato chips, TWINKIES (HOW are there no Twinkies in the game?!), wine gums, instant noodles (essentially survival food, really), more varieties of the MRE (like a vintage Five Fingers of Death menu), Rice Crispies! ..... I probably could go on for a very long time. But .... as much as that would be sortakinda fun.... what would it actually add to the game that's not already in it?

Sure, you could argue that granolar bars and chocolate bars already are redundant food, and that peaches and tomato soup are just "worse" versions of cans of beans. And why put three varieties of soda into the game when they all do the same thing? Yeah, I get that. But one of the strengths of TLD is that you don't get overloaded with too many choices. There's one rifle, one pry bar, one type of storm lantern, two types of matches (which do have different properties), two types of hatchets and knives (one industrial made, one basically a flattened piece of metal)... etc. You get where I am going.

So .... as so often.... I'm a bit torn on this one.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:04 AM, jeffpeng said:

But cooking it with water would give oats an interesting place in the game: relatively light weight food that lasts a rather long time, but actually requires you to prepare it first and also takes water to make. The only other "food" in the game that works this way is coffee and the various teas. So, yeah, I think that could actually be an interesting addition to the list of available food items.

This bit of added complexity is what I'm hoping for in the future for the cooking mechanic. Being able to combine food items into simple recipes  would add a nice bit of verisimilitude to the game.

4 hours ago, Calico said:

This bit of added complexity is what I'm hoping for in the future for the cooking mechanic. Being able to combine food items into simple recipes  would add a nice bit of verisimilitude to the game.

I agee with this. 

There have been quite a few discussions about food, adding items, recipes, calorie balance, and item balancing.

I´m keen to see if the dev team take this into the game in the future, however, I think they´re focusing on other things right this moment and we could be waiting a while for it.

Happy roaming peeps. 😉

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2019 at 4:36 AM, kristaok said:

not sure necessarily about oats

If you mix oats with a little water, you can cook it straight on the hot stones and get oat biscuits. They´re very bland, but make a great travel food because they´re light.

If you´re clever enough you can get Pancakes out of oats (no eggs required).

Because oats have a neutral taste you can add them to soups and stews as a thickener.

Just saying, oats are a pretty versatile cereal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1