Hopeless Rescue - Flare Gun Exploit

Lohaan

Since Crossroad Elegy added the crash site to Pleasant Valley, the flare gun can be collected there instead of going all the way to Timberwolf Mountain. Of course, it's a pretty crazy exploit...but  it's feels like an update to Hopeless Rescue. After doing hundreds of runs the normal way and already posting a respectable 15 hour 31 minutes,  I'm having a lot of fun doing some speedruns that take about an hour to complete. My fastest time is 10 hour 48 minutes so far....so if you want to get a good time, now's the opportunity...before it's fixed. 

Edited by Lohaan
Grammar
  • Upvote 2

I have looked in the Raven Falls ravine and the flare pistol was not there.  This was back before the Elegy update.

The wiki indicates there is another flare pistol.  Wonder if it appears as well in the Hopeless Rescue.

Wiki
Distress pistols can also be found near frozen corpses such at Peak Cave in Hushed River Valley even if it, in this case, spawns rarely.

Edited by Ice Hole
  • Upvote 1

Hi All,

I am new to the Community, created an account just for this topic:)

1. I think they disabled the spawns for FP other than TimberWolf but did not update it after Episode 3 was released.

2. Got 10:30 using a little bit of different route in PV than Lohaan and having 4 stims after obtaining the gun.1243822449_HopelessRescue.thumb.jpg.e57c7f2b28e1d7d0c0f34eda32df70b7.jpg

3. I am very pleased with this exploit as as Lohaan mentioned it feels like an update and new strategies become viable. (Currently considering a skip of the Camp office in ML as the Recycled Cans are not really needed that much, you can brew 4 coffees at signal hill and 4-8 (if you have that much) in PV Farmstead.

4. Not sure but I think that stamina recharges faster when you are more rested, therefore drinking like 10 coffees at once maybe a viable strategy as well.

5. Would love to see more challanges like this one. Imagine the possibility of different runs :)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lohaan said:

How does your route follow? Do you ever upload any of your clips? Would be awesome to see you run. 

Nah I dont even record them. Just started running this challange recently. I added my route in PV to the map below:

299131475_PleasentValley-Run.thumb.png.e356bcd18b65de4fe39f2493cce9e21b.png

I must have been quite fast as I did not do the skip in Desolation Point but just ran around after exiting the mine :)

Also not sure about my route in CH, I ran like that.

1719686406_CH-Run.thumb.png.27e693945457140e2c964593282c36e6.png

• Upvote 1

@R3425 Ok one thing to mention...my route in PV...although you do not see it on my upload...i skipped this time...but there is another chance of Stim at the rural store...and there is also a GO! drink there...which helps for climbing the hill up to the mine. But with enough stims, probably just skip the rural store.... I made few mistakes this run, but the weather was good so it was lucky. Another thing Ive been checking is for the flare gun at the Town Hall across the rural store...because in story mode it had a one...but so far nothing. 

48 minutes ago, Lohaan said:

What is your fastest time doing it normal...going up the mountain?

Well I never learned how to do this whole out of bounds mountain runs :) so my best is around 18:54. Thats why I like this exploit so much :D

When it comes to the Bear in CH it is almost always there for me too but I just run past it and/or use the Flare Gun to scare it away.

Wonder if sub 10 is possible 🤔

2 hours ago, R3425 said:

Well I never learned how to do this whole out of bounds mountain runs :) so my best is around 18:54. Thats why I like this exploit so much :D

When it comes to the Bear in CH it is almost always there for me too but I just run past it and/or use the Flare Gun to scare it away.

Wonder if sub 10 is possible 🤔

Your time is fast, so you will be able to do a normal run faster than 18hr54 too.... It just takes time to do one run after another after another and so on and on and on....until you get that good break in the weather and enough stims. Sub 10 is very possible no doubt. I'm really enjoying this exploit at the moment. 

Finished twice and my best time so far is 12h 1m.

That will be very hard to save 3h for me!?!

I arrive at the farm house after 4h. What is your time arriving the farm house?
Because this leaves me only 5 more hours to finish the rest?!?

Edited by Goodzilla
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Goodzilla said:

new record of 8h 37m

This was a glitched run...so i dropped off the map...and where before you landed in TWM, now you land at the crash site...so for glitched run of 8:37...and considering you skip Signal Hill and the farmhouse...its actually not too fast....and can still be improved. But for exploited runs, @R3425 is faster at 9hr 1m.