Condition loss near fire?

vidholf

I know meat, food and carcasses lose condition much faster next to a fire. But what about clothing items and bed rolls?

I ask because I had a Bear skin bed roll that I would swear was above 50% condition (my memory is it was in the 60s percent), but it went to 0% in 2-3 days while rolled out on the floor beside the fire place in the cabin on Timberwolf Mountain.

It doesn't matter if your meat is next to a fire or not, it only matters if it's indoors or outdoors.  Or, in the case of a cave, whether it's towards the front or back of the cave.

Clothing doesn't degrade faster next to a fire either.  The rate at which clothing decays depends on whether it's stored in a container (slowest), worn indoors (medium wear), or worn outdoors (high wear).  Bedrolls degrade MUCH faster if you leave them rolled out, vs. rolling them up after use.  I don't remember the exact statistics but it's something like 0.5% per day regardless, and an additional 0.1% per hour it's unrolled.  So if you leave it unrolled on the floor, It's going to drop 3% condition per day.  The times you're reporting sound a little extreme, but my guess would be you underestimated how much time had passed that the thing was unrolled.  Or it was in worse condition than you thought when you laid it down.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

The bear skin bedroll seems to be bugged, I think. I've noticed steep declines as well. 

Hinterland is aware of it. I thought they posted an pinned a thread about it here (I might be looking in the wrong place for it though...), but I do have a link to the thread they posted in the Steam forums, about known bugs under investigation:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/1637549649103181677/

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2019 at 5:03 PM, ajb1978 said:

Bedrolls degrade MUCH faster if you leave them rolled out, vs. rolling them up after use.  I don't remember the exact statistics but it's something like 0.5% per day regardless, and an additional 0.1% per hour it's unrolled.  So if you leave it unrolled on the floor, It's going to drop 3% condition per day.

Aha! Bug not withstanding, that is not something I knew. Thank you!

On 11/17/2019 at 8:45 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

Hinterland is aware of it. I thought they posted an pinned a thread about it here (I might be looking in the wrong place for it though...), but I do have a link to the thread they posted in the Steam forums, about known bugs under investigation:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/1637549649103181677/

Thank you!! I had a feeling that I'd read something about Bear Skin bed rolls - but obviously the warning didn't stick the first time I read that post