Poll: Are items in car visors?

Rebeccap2012

Are items in car visors?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Any screenshots (not obviously photoshopped) to show proof ever posted? Any screenshots I have ever seen (Steam SS or otherwise) of "visor items" or "The Lighthouse Wolf" have had the telltale line(s) of mismatched or missing pixels around the edge of the item or the wolf. And it's easy to say "Yeah, I found xxx..." when not asked to show proof.

I kick myself every day for not taking a screenshot of that one time i found something under the visor.  Had I known it would be such a big deal by now, I would have taken it, regardless of all the other people who are now in on this conspiracy. All I can go on is their word..and of course, my own recollection of the event, which I do recall startled me somewhat...but my knowledge of the game wasn't as extensive back then...and with so many regular updates...it was just merely brushed off as...well...not a big deal...just some loot.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:12 AM, Lohaan said:

100% sure. I found a flare gun once. And like i mentioned, the question comes up regularly in our Facebook group, and several people have reported finding items at least once, including matches, , candy bars, gloves, ammo, and more. But not for several years now, although they keep looking.  EDIT: I just did a search in the group and the question has come up at least 20 times since 2017ish, and on all occasions, yes, something has been found in earlier versions. 

Ah, a flare gun. The very thing experienced and astute players thought to exist only in a few predestined and remote locations. Fascinating. I have a theory that at times - very rare occurrences indeed - players are momentarily flung into a parallel universe where the game is totally different. Then by some means they are transported back to our reality and relate of things indomitably strange. It's just a theory though.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:03 AM, jhickie said:

Ahhh... I've been marking my cars with the open hood forever. Now I'm paranoid after reading this! Maybe I'll just start going with the trunk instead. I like having something I can see at a little distance.

Trunk won't work.. they automatically close after you check them. The fuel-cap covers work, but can't be seen until up close and even then only from certain directions.

Back when hoods would close again if you left the region (thanks Hinterland, for fixing that!) I used to put the battery up on the roof of the car as a marker. But not all vehicles have them. And, of course, now there can be a reason for taking a battery with you.

Oh, and for the record, I've never found anything behind a visor.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:43 PM, desertedone said:

Do they drop down? I'm not completely sure but I think something dropped down?

The only trouble I have believing people who say "Something dropped down..." is that the game has never had really good physics in it. Arrows do roll, but you never see them roll. Deer and other wildlife die on impossible slopes, and never slide down. For the longest time, if you broke down a crate that something was sitting on top of, the crate would be gone, and the item would magically float in the air, instead of dropping to the floor. (That's getting better now, but it still happens enough for me to feel like the physics for things dropping from visors "way back when" was probably not happening, )

Honestly, asking about this in the Milton Mailbag, if Raph ever decides to get back to answering questions again, might be the only way to know if items were ever placed in visors, for testing in Early Access/Game Preview or not.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/1741100729969835170/

Answer from @Raphael van Lierop:
The idea was that sometimes you would find Notes or Keys under them. We may still do that.

However, it was possible that the person in charge of placing the item did so without reporting to Raph. (In the old version. not now)
If so, how would it work if he put a match or candy bar on the visor?

Does the match fall to the floor like a thrown pebble or torch? No. An object whose XYZ coordinates are determined is not affected by gravity, except when it is shot. Like a floating object.
The only possible physics of this game are:
Example: When an item is on a crate, breaking the crate will cause the item to fall to the floor.
To be precise, the item does not fall. Its coordinates change instantly.

Well, if you open the visor and look at the floor, there is a match. Is it a match that was there before opening the visor? Or did he appear there after opening the visor?
Did you forget to check the floor before opening the visor?

It is a pity that there is no video on the candy bar dropped from the visor on Youtube.

(This post was translated from a language other than English)

Edited by stmSantana

On 1/7/2020 at 2:43 AM, desertedone said:

Do they drop down? I'm not completely sure but I think something dropped down?

No they don't drop down. When I found my item, it just popped up in the screen like any normal item you loot. I was somewhat startled because i sort of didnt expect it to happen  that way. I remember thinking, they will probably still change this. But it only happened once long time ago. People haven't actually found anything for years. 

• Upvote 1

Poll needs a 4th option - haven't looked (cos it's not worth looking). A theory is that they still sometimes drop loot (but rarely), but because of items falling through the floor/ground, they end up under the car or under the ground, inaccessible. I might test that :) After next version is out.