Items Have Disappeared (Survival Mode)

JujuBear

Hi there everyone, I'm back from a long break from TLD and I'm surprised that loading back into my saved game in Survival Mode that I'm missing a lot of my items. Specifically items that I've placed outside of containers such as shelves, tables, floor etc. Some of the items oddly remained but the most are just simply gone.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If there's already an existing discussion about this maybe someone could link it to me?

Edited by JujuBear

5 minutes ago, stay puft said:

There will be red "Lost And Found" containers all around the world that should have your stuff in it but any items that de-spawn at 0% condition when put in a container will de-spawn and you can't get it back and items will also slowly lose condition when in these "Lost And Found" containers.

I lost so much meat I had stashed around the world because of this.

Oh I see. And these boxes will be in random locations per region? Eitherway, thanks for pointing that out.

Be aware that the lost and found boxes are containers. Items that were 0% condition and did not have salvage/harvest value will disappear when they get relocated (by the lost and found process) into the lost and found box.

Items like 0% food will disappear because while they can still be consumed per usual game mechanics, they do not have a harvest value while 0% torches will survive because they can be harvested for a stick.  Similarly 0% clothes should survive because they can be harvested for cloth or cured leather, etc. Food items do decay while in lost and found and  any food item that reaches 0% in lost and found will also disappear, although that can take a while. 

Items that were "out in the snow" as in not inside a building, cave, or similar enclosed (transition screen entry/exit) or in a container will generally be consolidated outside some location. In Pleasant Valley, that would be the farmhouse and the formerly Crossroads store, so the effect is pretty widespread for the region. Similarly in Coastal Highway, so far I have found the regional lost and found box outside the Quonset garage and nowhere else (still going over so maybe there's another by the Fishing Camp but unlikely).

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stay puft said:

@UTC-10

I'd love to know what you find at the Fishing Camp as that's my main base at the moment and I had 200 coal 300 ceder 250 fir 600 sticks and like 100 liters of water sitting out front plus an insane amount of meat which I'm sure has de-spawned...  I really hope all that stuff isn't at the Quonset now but wouldn't be surprised if it is.

When you mentioned that. My character was in the CH when update happened. I have not noticed red box in front of Quonset station. There is the one inside. But not outside. And my meat stored in front of Quonset was left on the ground as before update.

• Upvote 2

Not sure the fact my character was located in Quonset during update had something to do with it. BTW as described in another thread. I have troubles with this run after update. Every save action freezes my game for 3-5 seconds. Maybe it should put everything in red boxes but did not and now I have these annoying freezes. It does not cause any harm, but it is annoying.

I went to the Fishing Camp and did not find an outside lost and found box. All of the meat, stones, charcoal, and water, etc. was gone probably into the box outside the Quonset. Inside the cabins, things were as they had been. No inside lost and found boxes. 

I went to Desolation Point and discovered in the outside lost and found at the Lighthouse that it did, in fact, contain several 0% raw meat pieces. I took them out and put them on the snow to find that two of the five were like graphics of cooked meat but I could not click on them. When I came out of the lighthouse the next day, the cooked meat graphics were gone and there was three raw meat (two wolf and one venison) on the snow. Don't know what to make of that.

The results of regional lost and found seemed to be the same as in Pleasant Valley and Coastal Highway. Things get swept away to some central lost and find box in the region. I am taking some precautions to try and not lose all my raw and cooked meat since we do have the December Survival Update and eventually episode 4 and 5 updates,  but I think a lot depends on whether something specific happens in that location. If Episode 4 ends up in Coastal Highway, I expect that the Quonset garage is going to be affected.

I am kind of wondering if that broken bridge in Desolation Point might end up repaired by episode 5.  Always wondered what was on the other side of the bridge.  :)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, stay puft said:

I found the box inside and outside the Quonset and  I don't think you being in the zone would affect it, I say that because I was in Hushed River when the update hit and all my stuff moved to the start of the zone.

Yes my game has also been freezing when it saves but for me it's like 5-10 seconds

I wonder what was the rule/reason to put items into red boxes. Because I do have a ton (ok not literally) meat in front of Quonset Gas station. And it was not removed during the update. So my things in the station were left on the ground (lot of hides and guts).

In general, yep, all that bear and moose and venison and fish is now gone.  I would not be surprised to hear that some people didn't lose their meat stockpiles, but that would be more the exception than the rule. 

Lost and Found has done one thing to me. I am now generally putting cooked meat and even raw meat inside because, while they decay faster, the way lost and found works they may survive an update, be onsite not way off in some other place, and if they do go away I am no worse off.  A possibly unexpected consequence to lost and found, which seemed to do the job, but... 

• Upvote 2

I did get a few more revolver rounds that lost and found found for me. Even a fire striker that I must have missed somewhere, so it was a mix of good and bad. 

One thing that has been bad was at formerly the Crossroads where a crossroads house was replaced by the Thomson's Crossing foreclosed houses. The items I had in the house are gone since there was no place for a lost and found box to appear (the location was gone).  It was unexpected and unwelcome but not a disaster. I am sure Hinterland could recover my items but I expect their hands are full coping with the inevitable problems of the new episode.

• Upvote 1