Make GPS arrow optional in Story Mode

Baccata

I would love an option to disable the GPS arrow in story mode, as not having it drastically improves immersion, imho. 

Is there, by any chance, a workaround to disable it in the current state (maybe configuration file to tweak, an asset replacement, etc ?). I appreciate the GPS as it let me rush episode 1 and 2 after losing my save, but I don't think I'll play episode 3 until I find a way to disable it, as I'd like to be fully immerse in it, like I was on my very first run of episodes 1 and 2. 

Kind regards

• Upvote 2

I think this is a neat idea, however, I wouldn't not play Ep3 because of it. I mean, you don't have to use that map to navigate. Most of the time you receive a marker you need to check on your map, you are in a building somewhere you know your location. Check your map in those areas and just don't open it. I mean it's pretty easy to not use the marker. In a lot of situations (near icons and such) your marker won't show anyway as it is covered by the icon. It shouldn't be a game breaker.

I wouldn't not play Ep3 because of it. 

Well, I think you are entitled to your opinion of how you may enjoy the game, and so am I. On my first run, I was using the map regularly, despite the absence of a GPS marker. I found that having to try and match the landscape to the map was a very neat and original experience. My personal enjoyment of the third act will be hindered by not being able to experience the same thing, despite it having many qualities I'm sure.

Note that it looks like I'm not the only one holding this opinion https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/dst7jt/magic_gps_map_marker/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sargon162 said:

GPS is toooo easy and less interesting

Agreed, but I can understand why they would implement it in the context of Story Mode.
The solution to this problem for me is... I just don't ever use the map when I play episodes of Wintermute.  :) 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

13 hours ago, sargon162 said:

In my opinion, completely not using the map is inconvenient

Sure, I was only sharing the solution that works for me.  I'm a big proponent of the idea that: if there is something in the game we can do, but we don't like it... we can just choose not to do it.  :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
This way we all get to exercise player choice, and folks that do like those things still have the ability to use them if they want to. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kristaok

I think this should be an option sure, but there should also be an option to add the GPS arrow to the Sandbox Mode. 

• 2 months later...

First things first: thanks for this wonderful game, it's the only game apart from FTL I've played for a long time.

I would also put my voice behind this issue. Putting an option for this might not be such a big task and you could please a few gamers.

I finished ep. 1&2 when it came out and haven't played until ep. 3 came out a few months ago. In the good old days using the map often and trying to locate yourself was immersive in itself. Getting lost in a blizzard not knowing where the hell you are was fun too.

Now a blizzard doesn't really bother me. All I have to do is check where the cursor is at the map. Am i going in the wrong direction? Just check the map. It's getting late, should i go out? No problem, I can get back whenever I wish since the cursor will guide me. Etc.

For all you "don't use the map then" voicers: there are a few of us who eat the chocolate whenever it is put in front of them.

Crack on!