Burned down houses

BedorCZ

First of all, I don't know where to post it, so I'll post it here.

On the Pleasant Valley, All the houses and Cabins are burned down. Only One farm with the big house isn't. To me, it is unplayable, because avery single location on the map is burned down. Does anybody else have this problem, is it deliberately, or is it just my bug? Thanks.

I honestly don't know why there are so many damn burnt down houses, if the guy just crashed his plane then why are all these houses burnt down like it's the apocalypse? All geomagnetic storm did was destroy electronics, did people just start lighting stuff on fire?

There should be like one burnt down house per map at most.

It's been discussed a few times that it's pretty clear that when the sandbox takes place is a bit after the plane crashes.

After all there needed to be time for all those corpses to have frozen. That means there was likely time for fires started by faulty wiring during the disaster to have burned out. It's likely that some might have been lightning strikes, or one of those cans of kerosene could have tipped, or any number of other reasons.

Remember this is a sandbox mode NOT the story mode.

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the burned houses, too.

On my laptop I have a savegame that I started before the patch which randomly burns down houses ;) . So I don't have any unlootable houses in the Mystery Lake Area or on Coastal Highway. Is that the reason almost every house in (Un)Pleasant Ville is burned down? Or is it a coincidence?

I honestly don't know why there are so many damn burnt down houses, if the guy just crashed his plane then why are all these houses burnt down like it's the apocalypse? All geomagnetic storm did was destroy electronics, did people just start lighting stuff on fire?

Ever read about the Kensington Event? Telegraph wires and poles spontaneously caught fire and that was back when telegraph wires were the only electronics we really had. If something like that happened again, there's a ridiculously high chance that something like 80% of all the buildings in developed countries would catch fire and go down in minutes. It makes total sense for their to be burned down houses. If anything, it doesn't make sense that there are so many of them left standing.

Except then the game really would be unplayable.

But yeah, the burned down houses is pretty randomized. Second time I played on the Coastal Highway map, a little more than half the town was burned down. Next time I came in, most of the buildings were still standing. It varies from play to play.

Also there is more than just the geomagnetic event in play, look at the Pleasant Valley Farmhouse, it is an active farm, considering the fruit trees, and the hay bails at its adjoining property. However the Farmhouse itself has been ransacked, at the coastal village the houses look like everyone walked away, at the farmhouse it looks like the people that lived there were taken... I was terrified for a moment that i would find bodies stacked in a pile in the basement of the farmhouse, it is really dark down there

Ever read about the Kensington Event? Telegraph wires and poles spontaneously caught fire and that was back when telegraph wires were the only electronics we really had. If something like that happened again, there's a ridiculously high chance that something like 80% of all the buildings in developed countries would catch fire and go down in minutes. It makes total sense for their to be burned down houses. If anything, it doesn't make sense that there are so many of them left standing.

Except then the game really would be unplayable.

But yeah, the burned down houses is pretty randomized. Second time I played on the Coastal Highway map, a little more than half the town was burned down. Next time I came in, most of the buildings were still standing. It varies from play to play.

I believe you are referring to the Carrington event. Here's a link if anyone's interested. Analysis of what would happen if a flare of this magnitude hit earth today are very grim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Ever read about the Kensington Event?

I believe you are referring to the Carrington event.

Yeah, that. Now I gotta find out where the hell I got Kensington from. >.>

I'm on my 3rd? run in Pleasant Valley. So far it looks like all the houses are always burned down except the main farmhouse, the red barn and Draft Dodger's cabin. The group of houses at the rural crossroads seem to be the only ones that are random on new game starts. There are at least half a dozen caves and several bunker spawn sites. Also at least one hunters blind. A few cars.

I think the idea for this map is really just to test some new ideas and features for the sandbox mode. I have finally managed to get a survivable start on this map and am into day 30 or so. The weather on this map can be brutal at times which is exactly what I and several others had wanted to see, sometimes lasting well over 24hrs and I even saw a post where someone had a 3 day event. I believe the animal life is another trial run for different behavior. I have noticed there are few wolves on this map and the deer are less populated. There is a bear on this map. All wildlife except the rabbits tend to stay out on the map edges near the mountains in the forests and do not venture near the farmhouse after the patches. You truly have to make an effort to go and hunt these creatures.

I have confidence that as the Devs come up with new additions, several would be perfect to test on this map. Like Constructed shelters? Fire starting methods using natural materials, hunting, trapping? This map would really only be survivable long term if the player has a method to hunt other than the gun. When my bullets get low I will be forced to leave. Wolf kills are scarce and rabbits provide no guts for repairs.

Truly, the challenge seems to be whether the player can keep his wits and bearings, because when a storm rolls in, you better have a plan...

Archived