Will 32-bit support is come?

Renommierschmiss

8 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I know you are trying to be funny here, but as a Mom whose kid actually has Epilepsy... that's a bit rude, and serious misinformation. You do';t "contract" Epilepsy. It isn't contagious, and isn't something you get from playing a game that has serious z-fighting or flickering issues when run on a particular OS. Though a game or webpage or screen with those issues can trigger seizures of various severities, for people who actually have the medical condition.

Yeah, honestly, that comment about "contracting Epilepsy" is a tad unfeeling and callous. And my daughter, plays the game just fine, with her Epilepsy, on PC (Windows 10) and XBox One. But can't use the new Steam Library UI, thanks to the icons having images that change 1 time/second if she hovers her mouse over one of them, before getting off of that page. We're all thrilled that her Depakote dosage has been raised, and she had Keppra added to her meds to see if the combo prevents the Absence seizures she has from using the new Steam Library UI, before the potential liver damage from the meds catches up with her.  And she's thrilled that the sleep-deprived EEG she had to have recently caused her to have 24 consecutive seizures during the test, meaning her driver's licence is suspended util she is seizure-free for a year, with or without meds. 

Yeah, you did irritate me with that little "funny" comment. Thoughtless thing to say.

He probably meant "induce" which would be accurate. You seriously haven't seen what it's currently like in the native linux version of the game. Given what I know about the kinds of things that can induce seizures I wouldn't be surprised if the effect was easily measurable for an epileptic: it's that bad. I was unable to play the game for more than about half an hour after the most recent sets of updates because I'd get a headache.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2019 at 3:58 PM, jeffpeng said:

Here the "correct" version of the post ....

Kudos for the Ubuntu idea. If someone is interested in how to achieve this using Windows as the main system you might want to look it up on the web as there are several examples available. An as far as I can tell factually correct walkthrough can be found here https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

One thing to note there, is they'd have to create a suitably sized persistent partition, which isn't directly covered by the walkthrough. Then install steam and the game. 

Guest jeffpeng
17 hours ago, mastercylinder said:

One thing to note there, is they'd have to create a suitably sized persistent partition, which isn't directly covered by the walkthrough. Then install steam and the game. 

I'm not a big ubuntu person. But I believe the live CD allows you to install onto the drive you are booting from if you so chose to. Which would probably be the preferred way of doing this. But yes, you are right. One would have to google oneself through quite a few things to get Linux working from a USB drive. But that would probably be outside the scope of this thread.

If anyone is interested in how to do that with Gentoo .... I can do that. But I would rather recommend using Ubuntu or Fedora if you are new to Linux 😉 Especially Ubuntu, since that's what Steam is designed to run on.

Edited by jeffpeng

Hi there,

no need to upgrade your PC or Windows (if it's only to play The Long Dark).

Just download a lightweight Linux, install it to your machine and you are good. (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Puppy Linux).

The installers will install Linux automaticly as a second OS, so you can chose windows or Linux when booting (if not installed diffrently).

I would:

1. Install Xubuntu, 2. install steam + TlD, 3. play and have fun.

Most people that switched to Linux are doing this too, only that they mainly use Linux and for some specific applications windows.

No need to invest money in something you don't really need!

Guest jeffpeng
7 hours ago, MueckE said:

No need to invest money in something you don't really need!

I guess if his brother doesn't let him upgrade Windows he probably won't let him put a second OS on the harddrive. 

• 8 months later...

I was hoping we would see openGL take over with vulkan's release so I could drop windows for gaming. Unfortunately microsoft held on to the gaming monopoly like the plague it is so eventually I will have to move my main PC to their new garbage platform that resets itself without permission.