Will 32-bit support is come?

Renommierschmiss

1 hour ago, Renommierschmiss said:

I play this game from about 2016 and my PC (AMD 4100 / Windows 7 Professional) is support this game but... EPİSODE 3 İS 64-BİT!

I don't know what I'm to do :,(

And I'm very curious about episode 3  

Are you saying your processor is the AMD FX 4100 cpu? According to what I can find, that CPU should support a 64 bit operating system. It's probably your copy of windows holding you back if that is 32bit.

• Upvote 2

Guest kristaok

@Dum_Gen it wouldn't bother me really, why? Because I wouldn't expect a company to lag behind just for me. 

You either get with the times or you fall behind, but nobody is going to wait around for you forever. 

21 hours ago, Renommierschmiss said:

Bu oyunu 2016'dan beri oynuyorum ve bilgisayarım (AMD 4100 / Windows 7 Professional) bu oyunu destekliyor ama ... EPİSODE 3 İS 64-BİT!

Ne yapacağımı bilmiyorum :, (

Ve bölüm 3'ü çok merak ediyorum  

There is nothing left to do, I will watch from YouTube :,(

18 minutes ago, Renommierschmiss said:

There is nothing left to do, I will watch from YouTube :,(

You might be able to upgrade to 64bit windows. I would need more specific information to know for sure.  If you could tell me your exact system specifications I might be able to help you.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

In this case people are waiting for the company. People paid for the game years ago. And the people are falling behind because the company is taking too long to finish their part.

Running a 32bit operating system wasn't the norm even back when Hinterland was just starting to allow people to open beta. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng

You don't need to "format" your PC to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit. Here's a rather accurate walkthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI_UwJoFcU0

Although I feel obligated to suggest you update to an actually not ancient operating system that has a metric crapton of security patches Windows 7 will never get, meaning Windows 10. 

On 11/7/2019 at 11:20 PM, Dum_Gen said:

In this case people are waiting for the company. People paid for the game years ago. And the people are falling behind because the company is taking too long to finish their part.

Debugging against two architectures takes twice the time. So in the interest of them actually finishing the game you should be in favor of this. Even Apple, whom support their hardware far beyond what a sane person would demand of a company, has killed the 32bit-only versions of their operating systems, both desktop and mobile, quite a while back.

I just want to remind people that the most recent hardware that didn't run 64 bit and is in theory even capable of running TLD was the 2006 Intel Core series. No, I'm not counting Atoms here. Those couldn't have run TLD even if they had 64 bit, and those that maybe can in theory (Silvermont and up) do have 64 bit.

Edited by jeffpeng

11 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

You don't need to "format" your PC to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit. Here's a rather accurate walkthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI_UwJoFcU0

Although I feel obligated to suggest you update to an actually not ancient operating system that has a metric crapton of security patches Windows 7 will never get, meaning Windows 10. 

Debugging against two architectures takes twice the time. So in the interest of them actually finishing the game you should be in favor of this. Even Apple, whom support their hardware far beyond what a sane person would demand of a company, has killed the 32bit-only versions of their operating systems, both desktop and mobile, quite a while back.

I just want to remind people that the most recent hardware that didn't run 64 bit and is in theory even capable of running TLD was the 2006 Intel Core series. No, I'm not counting Atoms here. Those couldn't have run TLD even if they had 64 bit, and those that maybe can in theory (Silvermont and up) do have 64 bit.

Woah... See that is something I did not know. But then the last time I was in the market for a computer, it was a couple years after my WinXP machine kicked the bucket, and I needed a laptop for college and had already heard the horror stories of dealing with Win7 and Win8/8.5 and Win10 was already on the market.

That and I've always backed up things I want to save, AND installed Windows onto a blank drive. It always seemed to be easier that way.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:10 AM, Renommierschmiss said:

I play this game from about 2016 and my PC (AMD 4100 / Windows 7 Professional) is support this game but... EPİSODE 3 İS 64-BİT!

I don't know what I'm to do :,(

And I'm very curious about episode 3  

We have no plans to support 32 bit, going forward. This change was required to address a number of issues that can only be resolved with moving to a 64 bit version for Windows.

We offer the Time Capsule if you would like to continue playing on an earlier version that supports 32bit.

- The Hinterland Team

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

This is the biggest reason you should upgrade to Windows 10, right here.  Windows 7 is dead, and Microsoft no longer supports it. That means any security exploits that are discovered for Windows 7 PC's now until forever, will never be fixed.  And while it's unlikely some malicious coder will program a virus or worm to exploit a newly-discovered vulnerability on a fully deprecated OS, that risk is non-zero.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

And while it's unlikely some malicious coder will program a virus or worm to exploit a newly-discovered vulnerability on a fully deprecated OS, that risk is non-zero.

I definitely agree, and It's more likely than you think. A lot of businesses (At least where I'm from) seem to be behind several years when it comes to hardware/software for their records etc. Ransomware scammers can exploit this. I still see Windows XP being used in hospitals and retail stores! 

Sometimes it feels like the 70's but with smartphones and other signs of the 21st century dotted everywhere, kinda like Great Bear Island with its 90's cars, and century year old guns mixed in with Flat screen TVs and delivery drones. 

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

And while it's unlikely some malicious coder will program a virus or worm to exploit a newly-discovered vulnerability on a fully deprecated OS, that risk is non-zero.

That's a dangerous assumption. In fact the amount of Windows 7 (and older!) systems out there is more than significant enough to make that a viable target audience. I'm a web developer, which means I kinda have to deal with websites being compatible with systems that are vastly obsolete. In fact we have a customer for which we need to keep an internally used web platform compatible with Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 2000 - since that was the software platform they validated in 2000 and revalidating a new platform is too expensive, and they are using it since then. And yes, @MarrowStone, it's a large German hospital operator.

So if I were a group in the ransomware business or data and identity theft, and a widespread vulnerability of an Operating System that is still widely used and for which not mitigations were to be expected ... I'd jump on that opportunity. And so would many others. And so DO many others. To put it bluntly: Using Windows 7 today must be considered wanton negligence.

8 minutes ago, mastercylinder said:

I'm yet to get TLD running in Linux. Need some time to play around.

Don't try. It won't with the native Linux version. Running the Windows version from Linux Steam via Proton however has probably better performance than running it on Windows 10.

11 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Don't try. It won't with the native Linux version. Running the Windows version from Linux Steam via Proton however has probably better performance than running it on Windows 10.

That's rather disappointing.  Still, I think OP could also do that. Ubuntu on a stick isn't hard.

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

but you'll probably contract epilepsy playing it.

I know you are trying to be funny here, but as a Mom whose kid actually has Epilepsy... that's a bit rude, and serious misinformation. You do';t "contract" Epilepsy. It isn't contagious, and isn't something you get from playing a game that has serious z-fighting or flickering issues when run on a particular OS. Though a game or webpage or screen with those issues can trigger seizures of various severities, for people who actually have the medical condition.

Yeah, honestly, that comment about "contracting Epilepsy" is a tad unfeeling and callous. And my daughter, plays the game just fine, with her Epilepsy, on PC (Windows 10) and XBox One. But can't use the new Steam Library UI, thanks to the icons having images that change 1 time/second if she hovers her mouse over one of them, before getting off of that page. We're all thrilled that her Depakote dosage has been raised, and she had Keppra added to her meds to see if the combo prevents the Absence seizures she has from using the new Steam Library UI, before the potential liver damage from the meds catches up with her.  And she's thrilled that the sleep-deprived EEG she had to have recently caused her to have 24 consecutive seizures during the test, meaning her driver's licence is suspended util she is seizure-free for a year, with or without meds. 

Yeah, you did irritate me with that little "funny" comment. Thoughtless thing to say.

Guest jeffpeng

Here the "correct" version of the post ....

7 hours ago, mastercylinder said:

That's rather disappointing.

It technically runs but it experiences technical difficulties which might people make feel uncomfortable playing the game as there is serious "flickering" of snowy terrain to be observed. Those issues do no persist using Proton, and the performance is at least on par if not better than with Windows, at last on AMDGPU driver. There's an entire thread about that.

7 hours ago, mastercylinder said:

Still, I think OP could also do that. Ubuntu on a stick isn't hard.

Even if the OP still has USB2 as the only option on their PC (which is very much possible since many AM3 Motherboards did not feature USB3), I would still recommend using a 2.5" SATA enclosure and an affordable entry level SSD instead of a simple pen drive. I will not include examples of those as this could be interpreted as suggesting a place to buy those and, by proxy, potentially condoning work conditions at these companies, but this hardware can be had for around 30 dollars. Also the obtained SSD can be later reused in a PC if the OP so chooses.

Kudos for the Ubuntu idea. If someone is interested in how to achieve this using Windows as the main system you might want to look it up on the web as there are several examples available. An as far as I can tell factually correct walkthrough can be found here https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/