episode 4 & 5 ?

Holger

On 11/8/2019 at 11:30 AM, Tohono O'odham Man said:

I just finished episode 3 . It was a very good game except for a few things. The first thing is the timber wolves they where like a last minute add on and they where rushed to be programmed in the game. And the game was short and not enough missions. The legendary books are an awesome idea and wish their was more or some legends from the first nations people. Why are no first nationas people included in the game hinterland? Over all it was a very good short episode.

Yes, i agree, the plot was good, just a bit short, i felt ep2 was much longer, way more engaging and detailed.

• 1 month later...

@Skullhacker

What are you even talking about?  Crossroads Elegy just came out at the end of October... that is not very long ago at all.

:coffee::fire:
Be patient survivors:

On 6/2/2019 at 3:51 AM, ManicManiac said:

We already know the team is focusing their efforts on the next episode.  We also know that the team is not going to hand out any hard dates...  I urge patience.  Even though the team has been growing and expanding, it's still a relatively small independent studio.

The last I remember reading is that they would like to grow and be able to have two "departments" so they can work on Survival and Story Mode simultaneously, but I don't know if that's happened yet.  They've always had to shift focus back and forth between Survival and Story.

We just got the Steadfast Ranger [Errant Pilgrim] survival update... and they have been doing a lot of work on hotfixes.  I would again urge patience.  I'm sure the team will be eager to share news when they have something to share with us.  Lets give them room to work and show them a little faith, we know they are working on it... and we know they do great work.  That's why we are all here.

Hang in there survivors, it's going to be okay... :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 4:18 AM, Skullhacker said:

I think that hinterland should inform us for the realese date of the rest chapters because its been a long time from the last chapter realese

They used to but, kept having push releases back dealing with the problems that a small independent studio that only has one game does. Such as integrating new technology and staff. After years of frustrated fans adding to what was most likely a frustrating development cycle Hinterland decided to stop informing us of any expected reales dates or dead lines.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:18 AM, Skullhacker said:

I think that hinterland should inform us for the realese date of the rest chapters because its been a long time from the last chapter realese

As noted we do not talk about release dates too far out from when we're ready to actually release something. Game development has a lot of challenges and we want to avoid a situation where we promise a date that we discover we can't hit and are then having either to disappoint people by not releasing what we promised when we promised, or rushing what we are working on to hit a date.

We understand people are anxious for more details and we are working on providing you with new content. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I love coming onto the forums after being told that I was overreacting when I said I didn't expect episode III in 2018 or IV or V in 2019. I paid for this game as a Kickstarter in 2016, and boy do I wish that I'd known then what I do now.

On 2/25/2020 at 10:30 AM, RegentRelic said:

They used to but, kept having push releases back dealing with the problems that a small independent studio that only has one game does. Such as integrating new technology and staff. After years of frustrated fans adding to what was most likely a frustrating development cycle Hinterland decided to stop informing us of any expected reales dates or dead lines.

3.3+ million copies have been sold. That's, even at a low $8/copy, $26.4 million dollars made. That's not a small indie studio anymore and we shouldn't be treating it as such. And its honestly a terrible policy.

Edited by MrJade
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MrJade said:

3.3+ million copies have been sold. That's, even at a low $8/copy, $26.4 million dollars made. That's not a small indie studio anymore and we shouldn't be treating it as such. And its honestly a terrible policy.

While true, plus the some 200,000 they started with they have made a pretty Penney but, here is a quick run down of there estimated costs if they were in the U.S because that is where I understand the best (it's mostly their insurance I don't get). For 30 well trained it is about 3,600,000 a year. Over eight years that is $28,880,000 (again this in the U.S with things like insurance, stock compensation and all that other fun stuff). As for unity they could be paying $300 or the could be paying 3 million a year. I guess I could go through and try determine exactly what assets Hinterland is using but, that would take all day. I will just say 100,000 but, I can't stress enough that unity is not an out of the box engine and I am practically guessing. I don't know how big Hinterland HQ is but, office space is about 6,000 per person per year so that is 180,000. I have never once seen an add for the long dark so I will assume that the marketing cost is undifferentiated from man hours. Now hinterland has mentioned using out of house contractors for things like localization and translations and legal things like, shipping licenses and I.P but, without digging a little to far I can only guess at 1,500,000 a year. So the total for this incredibly rough version of hinterlands spending's is 41 million U.S dollars, That's 59,640,840 CAD. Now luckily hinterland doesn't sell the long dark for 8.00 they sell it for 29.99, We will say $25 because it used to be cheaper. Hinterland has a total revenue of  $925,000,000 U.S. But, wait  Valve and Microsoft both take 30% of a sales meaning that they lose 277,500,000 so now there at 647,500,000. Then 5-12% depending on the state the product was bought. So now we are down to 582,750,000. Nope wait there is a double tax for many Canadian digital product so we actually have 518,000,000. The net tax rate for corporations in Canada is 15%  so we are down to 440,300,000. So If people have been throwing millions of dollars at hinterland to justify the $25 price tag then they have had a revenue of 440,300,000 U.S  or  637,997,700 CAD. Now I am hungry now so I want even start to think about the profit but, the point is that Hinterland Isn't backed by a large publishing company and Cost much less then $200,000,000 to make and Isn't publicly traded In the form of B or C stocks. In fact I'm not sure they sell A stocks so for all intents and purposes it is an indie game.

I put Into many zero's. I am really embarrassed about that, I was extremely hungry when I wrote this. Like, haven't eaten in 24 hours and am about to hungry so my numbers might be all over the place. But't I never said they were small. Just that they were independent. Unless you count Canada but, I don't think there on the media fund for this year. I might just  not know how to navigate there site though. I do think they are small not tiny but, not to be called anything else.

Guest kristaok

There's plenty of other Games out there guys... if this Game is boring ya, move on.... come back when Episode 4 etc. is out.

Guest kristaok
20 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

If the conversation is boring ya, move on... Come back when you have something on topic.

Yea... to be quite honest your constant complaining IS boring me. I'm not trying to be mean here, but that's all you've been doing here lately is complain. I think we need to think about more than just ourselves right now... I know for me personally... with ALL that's happening in the World as of late, Episode 4, 5, whatever is the least of my worries!

I'm fine with giving Hinterland all the time they need right now, in fact I wouldn't want them too focused on this Game until after the Pandemic has passed, they need to focus on their lives right now. They don't need to be cooped up in a building working on this Game, they need to take a much needed break. This Game is going to be here, don't worry... It's not going to hurt anyone to WAAAIIIIIIIT.

Guest kristaok
41 minutes ago, Dum_Gen said:

Episode 1 and 2 were not "poorly" done... At least I didn't think so... yea the remakes are better, but that doesn't mean the originals were bad. 

Also I'm not just going around praising the Devs, there's some decisions made and things said that I have openly disagreed with.... my whole point is now is not the time to worry about Episode 4 and 5 that's all. 

Anyway I will leave it at that.

5 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

I understand, that as a fan of Survival mode you have nothing to complain

I just wonder - what do you find in Survival mode that is not satisfactory to you? .. when I started I also liked Wintermute better, but after giving Survival mode a decent try - I can't really go back to the Story mode, I am still to try ep3. Try Survival Mode, really, it's great ;)

Guest kristaok
7 hours ago, Aurimas said:

I just wonder - what do you find in Survival mode that is not satisfactory to you? .. when I started I also liked Wintermute better, but after giving Survival mode a decent try - I can't really go back to the Story mode, I am still to try ep3. Try Survival Mode, really, it's great ;)

The Story Mode is great and all, and I'm excited to continue it... but Survival Mode is where it's truly at! I love Sandboxxy type Games.

Guest jeffpeng
9 hours ago, kristaok said:

Survival Mode is where it's truly at! I love Sandboxxy type Games.

Well, I still chuckle everytime when I realize they made the best open world survival game pretty much ever ... by accident :D 

Guest kristaok
5 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Well, I still chuckle everytime when I realize they made the best open world survival game pretty much ever ... by accident :D 

Yea I need to load it up and play again XD

• 1 month later...
Guest kristaok
On 5/14/2020 at 8:37 PM, Jaded Jenni's Journey said:

May 14 2020 still waiting for 4/5

BE PATIENT. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 6:39 AM, Dascomb said:

Im sure the episode 4 will  be released in late of 2020 but it can also come out in early of 2021

So only 3 or 4 years after the complete game was promised. Cool. 

• Upvote 1

My guess is that  >50% people playing this game do so because of the survival mode. Story mode is a nice to have. How long it takes to complete it does not matter as the updates come for free. I like the attitude to produce quality. I might get angry, a bit, when I'd learned that ep. 4&5 would be cancelled. But in the end I love the game for the survival mode in the first place. I spent >500 hrs on Great Bear Island and I'm still fascinated...

6 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

I wonder why:

• Survival mode - completed game that receives regular free gamechanging DLCs and quality of life improvements 3 years after the official release;
  • Story mode - extremely slow pace development with ~60% of the game finished after the 3 years and 1.5-2 more years of wait, if nothing happens.

Story mode focused people do return from time to time, but many of them actually lost their faith in the studio and abandoned the game completely disappointed.

That's a fair point. I play for survival so it could be easy for me to disregard your frustration. But I can relate, having waited years for other games to release their story. However, many of us play both survival and story mode, it's not a black and white situation. While I loved episode 1 & 2 episode 3 was just not challenging enough. I'll finish the story for sure and if the last episodes are great I'll be delighted. Especially now with covid, which has likely made Hinterland have to restructure their production process which ought to slow things down considerably. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2019 at 8:09 PM, KinoUnko said:

1 year is fairly long, to be honest, for just one episode lasting a few hours. but we'll just have to take what we get.

A few hours? Ep 2 lasted about 12 for me!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1