Holger

episode 4 & 5 ?

Hello, I am now 65 years old, am I still experiencing the end of The Long Dark, or am I dying of old age?

• Like 1

Huh? Episode 3 just came out... so I wouldn't expect to see ep4 for another year or more.

• Upvote 2

1 year is fairly long, to be honest, for just one episode lasting a few hours. but we'll just have to take what we get.

30 minutes ago, KinoUnko said:

1 year is fairly long, to be honest, for just one episode lasting a few hours. but we'll just have to take what we get.

It may seem like that as a fan, but not for a dev. I don't doubt that it takes a lot of time and money to do all of this. 

I suspect there's parallel development on some other things. 

Well, I am pretty sure that my laptop dies before ch.4 and 5 will be released. Did not think about it when I bought the game several years ago.

5 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

I suspect there's parallel development on some other things. 

Could be, maybe - maybe not. 

I wouldn't be suprised though If Hinterland is only doing one Episode at a time though considering they are a smaller indie team. I mean maybe if they were EA, sure... :P but they're not so we need to give them some wiggle room. 

1 hour ago, Dum_Gen said:

Well, I am pretty sure that my laptop dies before ch.4 and 5 will be released. Did not think about it when I bought the game several years ago.

I can agree Episode 3 took a long time and the wait sucked, but I can also see why it took a long time. The wait was made a lot longer due to Hinterland making the decision to do the Redux on Episode 1&2. And to be honest... I'm glad they did the Redux even though it did make the wait on Episode 3 a lot longer. I played TLD before the Redux, yea no offense but the Redux is a LOT better! :P 

I can wait, the problem for them is that the longer you hold off an expansion, the higher expectations of players will get. 

Wonder if episode five will have alternate endings. I would say yes because that is common thing indie games do to spice it up. But the long dark is already spicy in just the right ways and it could make any attempt at a larger universe unnecessarily complicated.

11 hours ago, kristaok said:

I can agree Episode 3 took a long time and the wait sucked, but I can also see why it took a long time. The wait was made a lot longer due to Hinterland making the decision to do the Redux on Episode 1&2. And to be honest... I'm glad they did the Redux even though it did make the wait on Episode 3 a lot longer. I played TLD before the Redux, yea no offense but the Redux is a LOT better! :P 

Everyone can see why it took so long, it does not mean that it is excusable. They basically released unfinished subproduct and then took extra year to finish what should have been done from the beginning. 

And after that they are taking extremely long time to release several hours of controversial content.

Not many people expect that officially released game becomes playable ~4 years after the release. Majority of modern hardware has shorter lifespan because of planned obsolescence.

Plus some people bought the game when it was supported on their hardware. And now they have to buy new PCs to be able to finish playing the game, which they bought 3+years ago.

Edited by Dum_Gen

@Dum_Gen I get what you're saying, but at the same time those who bought it knew it was an Episodic Game, also nobody was promised a set date for these Episodes. 

As for no more 32bit support Hinterland isn't the only one doing this, EA is also doing this with The Sims 4 as well. It is what it is... plus people on older PC's who want to game need to realize this is the future. The older rigs are outdated, and games must go forward, these companies can't be expected to release games to support obsolete stuff. 

Look at me for instance I had bought a couple years ago an Asus Rog Laptop for $1600+ it just recently died, and I had to purchase another Laptop so I got an MSI around $3k. Yea it sucked, but when you're a gamer ya gotta do what ya gotta do. 

Ps. As for the Redux again in my opinion it was worth it for them to redo Episode 1&2, if you liked it before that's great but I like the Redux better. 

Edited by kristaok

19 minutes ago, kristaok said:

@Dum_Gen I get what you're saying, but at the same time those who bought it knew it was an Episodic Game, also nobody was promised a set date for these Episodes.

Episodic games are not a novelty. Despite the dates were not set there there are some example from other companies, so people can compare them.

I'll repeat what I wrote somewhere else:

Game of Thrones release dates:
December 2, 2014; February 3, 2015; March 24, 2015; May 26, 2015; July 21, 2015; November 17, 2015.
Less than 1 year in total for 6 episodes.

Life is Strange release dates:
30 January 2015; 24 March 2015; 19 May 2015; 28 July 2015; 20 October 2015.
Less than 9 months in total for 5 episodes.

The Long Dark release dates:
August 1, 2017 - episodes 1 and 2, official release;
December 2018 - episodes 1 and 2, re-release after 15 months;
October 22, 2019 - episode 3, +10 months
2+ years for 60% of the story .

So people expect that episodes would be released in ~1 year span. I believe people reconsidered buying the game if the devs said that it would take 4+ years.

26 minutes ago, kristaok said:

As for no more 32bit support Hinterland isn't the only one doing this, EA is also doing this with The Sims 4 as well. It is what it is... plus people on older PC's who want to game need to realize this is the future. The older rigs are outdated, and games must go forward, these companies can't be expected to release games to support obsolete stuff. 

It is a perfect argument if anyone new wanted to buy the game now while having outdated PC and complained that they can launch the game. It is completely different for people who bought the game years ago and want to receive what they paid for.

Crossroads Elegy just came out... and we know there is an update set for December.

...Patience... I've mentioned it in other posts because folks were doling out the same complaints regarding episode 3:

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:51 AM, ManicManiac said:

[text removed for brevity]

We already know the team is focusing their efforts on the next episode.  ...I urge patience.  Even though the team has been growing and expanding, it's still a relatively small independent studio.

I would again urge patience.  I'm sure the team will be eager to share news when they have something to share with us.  Lets give them room to work and show them a little faith, we know they are working on it... and we know they do great work.  That's why we are all here.

Hang in there survivors, it's going to be okay... :) 

It also brings up to what I discussed previously about some folks not ever being satisfied, and always wanting something more or need something to complain about regardless of what they have.  Which always reminds me of:

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:48 PM, ManicManiac said:

Remember, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..."

:coffee::fire:

• Upvote 1

@Dum_Gen Yea but we can't say for sure that this is 60% of the story... after all there could be more Seasons / Episodes coming. We were only promised 5 free Episodes with the purchase, meaning Hinterland can and may make more and charge for them. 

Either way complaining won't change a thing. It is what it is. All we can do at this point is wait. 

I just finished episode 3 . It was a very good game except for a few things. The first thing is the timber wolves they where like a last minute add on and they where rushed to be programmed in the game. And the game was short and not enough missions. The legendary books are an awesome idea and wish their was more or some legends from the first nations people. Why are no first nationas people included in the game hinterland? Over all it was a very good short episode.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tohono O'odham Man said:

the timber wolves they where like a last minute add on and they where rushed to be programmed in the game

That is quite an assumption to make... and likely not the case.  I can understand that being something you personally didn't like, but I think it's pretty presumptuous to insinuate they did a rush job and don't care about the quality of their product.  I think we all know that's untrue.

:coffee::fire:
I respect your opinions and personal feelings about the game... but I don't think it's cool to frame that opinion as a judgment of the Hinterland teams' intentions or ethics on quality of work because you don't like a particular mechanic.  To me that just seemed a little over the line.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kristaok said:

@Dum_Gen Yea but we can't say for sure that this is 60% of the story... after all there could be more Seasons / Episodes coming. We were only promised 5 free Episodes with the purchase, meaning Hinterland can and may make more and charge for them.

It would be even worse. I hope they finish the plot within the 1st season and the next ones will be somewhat unrelated to the already started story. It would be a shame if it transforms into: "Want to know the ending? Buy the next season(-s) to finish the story!". 

@Dum_Gen I think it's gonna happen though. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling it'll stretch out. 

Just be prepared. 

2 minutes ago, kristaok said:

@Dum_Gen I think it's gonna happen though. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling it'll stretch out. 

Just be prepared. 

I think it would be a good question for Milton Mailbag, if Raphael haven't answered it already.

Just now, Dum_Gen said:

I think it would be a good question for Milton Mailbag, if Raphael haven't answered it already.

I agree :) 

17 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

@Dum_Gen & @kristaok :  Raph did answer it! :) 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:25 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

No, we are not bringing Timberwolves into Survival Mode yet. We have a lot of work to do to get the packs functioning correctly across all our regions. For the launch on Tuesday, they are only in Episode Three. Timberwolves will be added to Survival Mode ASAP.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

@ManicManiac I think they were referring to the possibilities of more Seasons / Episodes beyond the (free) promised 5. :P

9 minutes ago, kristaok said:

I think they were referring to the possibilities of more Seasons / Episodes

oh... my mistake.  I must have misread.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Yep I misread, sorry folks... I thought a timber wolf sidebar had started.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1