Character model immersion update

Saws n Sins

Even if it took awhile to make (I understand it's a small team), I would love to see an visual immersion update for your character. Like an actually modeled character. So when you look down, you see whatever you're wearing. When holding something in hands, arms and gloves show what you're wearing like it is when you go into your equipment.

Maybe even make it where depending on what gloves you have on, you might have remove them to use a gun/bow. Then add a new glove type you can find which is just wool knitted fingered gloves. Not as warm as wool mittens or other gloves like that but with them you can use weapons since you have your fingers. Maybe even finally let us double up on gloves and add gloves like those you can layer under your current gloves. So when you use weapons you just take off mittens and your hands is still protected from frostbite

Just something I would love to see eventually down the road added to the game.

• Upvote 7
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rla1974 said:

Half the time I feel like I'm 3 feet tall

It's even worse when you stand on railroad tracks! I feel like having legs wont solve that issue but actually make it worse since your feet probably won't sink in the snow...

I still want legs however!

Edited by MarrowStone

This is one of those things that yes I would like to see it added at some point, but I also acknowledge that the return on investment is very poor.  It takes a LOT of work creating a fully rendered and animated 3D character model for every possible clothing item, and it also introduces some problems like....how do you accurately show someone shooting a revolver while wearing rabbitskin mitts?  Short answer: You don't.  So you'd have to do something about that, like decide to not render mittens and instead just assume the character takes off a mitten when you draw the weapon.  Or implement some thing that only allows you to fire a weapon if you're bare-handed, or wearing gloves or gauntlets.  Thrown flares, torches, and stones would be usable with mittens, but that's it.  And another rabbit hole is do you change up the 3D model's condition depending on how damaged it is?  Wet or frozen?

It's a great polish item, don't get me wrong, and I'd enjoy it.  I just think there's better uses for that dev time.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

It would be neat, but I'm fine either way.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
(yeah... unusually short I know, but I'm tired today :D)

An explanation is not needed anyways, none of us are demanding anything and most of us know it would take time to develop.

Im fine either way too, it's just fun to talk about the possibility and discuss what may or may not work, not whether it should be implemented or not. That's a conversation the devs can have. 

If the devs decide no, then we can wait until some modder does it once they've been given official support. 

The mitten dilemma is a valid concern, I'm thinking the mitts can be given a chord to your wrist where your character shakes them off their right hand in one or two quick jerks before equipping the weapon, and when they holster the gun it can just spawn back on their hand. Or their glove can just not be equipped since the gun appears from the bottom of the screen anyways. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Im fine either way too, it's just fun to talk about the possibility and discuss what may or may not work, not whether it should be implemented or not. That's a conversation the devs can have.

For sure, I agree it's always interesting (and fun) to muse about such things.

I think, given the way things are generally constructed in the game, that a full character model would likely just look really "wonky"...  I'm perfectly content with the extent of "player presence" we have.

I get the feeling that if character models were ever going to be a thing, then they would have started the initial builds of the game with a rudimentary form of it in place (which was not the case, so far as I can tell).  I imagine at this point it would take a complete overhaul of virtually every system (certainly the ones with "physical"/object interactive aspects) to even try to get something remotely workable in play.  Given how wonderful the game is without it... I just don't think it's needed.

For me, I'm already so thoroughly engrossed in the world they provided, I honestly never really notice or care about this aspect.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Ah, that's better.  I've got more caffeine in my system now. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
Corrected Errors
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 3:52 PM, ajb1978 said:

This is one of those things that yes I would like to see it added at some point, but I also acknowledge that the return on investment is very poor.  It takes a LOT of work creating a fully rendered and animated 3D character model for every possible clothing item, and it also introduces some problems like....how do you accurately show someone shooting a revolver while wearing rabbitskin mitts?  Short answer: You don't.  So you'd have to do something about that, like decide to not render mittens and instead just assume the character takes off a mitten when you draw the weapon.  Or implement some thing that only allows you to fire a weapon if you're bare-handed, or wearing gloves or gauntlets.  Thrown flares, torches, and stones would be usable with mittens, but that's it.  And another rabbit hole is do you change up the 3D model's condition depending on how damaged it is?  Wet or frozen?

It's a great polish item, don't get me wrong, and I'd enjoy it.  I just think there's better uses for that dev time.

I'm with  you. It'd be really cool to have to take off say rabbitskin mitts and put on say driving gloves to use a revolver or weapon. I think the gauntlets could use an update too; they strongly resemble the CAF old-school gauntlets, and there are two kinds of those; one that's a straight mitt and one that's a mitt/glove hybrid with a place to put your forefinger so you can use firearms while wearing them.

Guest jeffpeng

I don't know. Everytime I look at my feet in games such as Subnautica I feel like my feet look .... off. Feet/legs are something for 3rd person. And even there, thinking about the venerable TES: Skyrim feet placement looks off more often than not on terrain that isn't almost perfectly even. Some footage of what I've seen of RDR2 looks rather impressive when it come to that. But then again we're at the point where we're comparing David and Goliath.

If thing this puts it best: 

On 11/26/2019 at 9:52 PM, ajb1978 said:

This is one of those things that yes I would like to see it added at some point, but I also acknowledge that the return on investment is very poor.

There's so much bigger and yet easier fish to fry.

• 4 weeks later...