Seeds

Marmo

Most edible plants die off if they get hit by a brief frost. What could you realistically grow in this game's climate. I doubt the devs will add this and I would personally agree with them if they didn't.

There are enough games out there where you can become completely self sufficient. I think a big part of the appeal of this one is the need to keep moving to scavenge and hunt for food rather than simply becoming self sufficient. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, MrsHoneypot said:

There are plant pots with soil dotted around the place. 

You would just need to keep it watered and near a window, maybe herbs or something?

Sorry, with no heater or continuous fire inside the home, placing the flower pot near a window would not be sufficient to keep the plants alive at the average air temperatures indicated in the game.  Even the hardier herbs go dormant in the winter unless kept somewhat warm and, as a result, not be usable as a food source.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Not possible to grow a plant to maturity, but it could be possible to sprout seeds in a jar for a small dose of greens. If the jar was properly positioned in one of the cabins that stays warm without a fire and had glass windows and there was a 2-3 day stretch of clear weather. I doubt it would be worth implementing unless the devs do decide to go with a longer-term "nutrition mechanic" i.e. scurvy, which they have said they have no plans for at the moment. 

Edited by Calico
clarity

I'm just wondering where the seeds would come from in the first place because seed production is more of spring/summer thing. Light matters too. Need certain amount of light for a certain time (varies by plant) so yeah, might find a few seeds at the old farms but really they aren't set up for crops. They appear to be hay fields and orchards for the most part. I always wonder what they were doing with all that hay since there is no real sign of keeping livestock either. Not a single barn set up for it. And why haven't the deer eaten it? My lonely survivor thinks about these things a lot. :P

Cattails are dry, I think the only alive part they have are their tubers.
Rose hips are dormant, with dry berries still hanging on them.
Reishi mushrooms won't be actively growing in that cold, I expect them to be dry and woody.

It's true that plants might be still alive but they'd be dormant, because that's what winter is for. It could be possible to grow some seeds inside only if the temperature never dropped under a certain point (probably 10C/50F) and if they had enough light, pretty complicated to obtain those conditions in this game.

Plant growing would be too far fetched and seed sprouting for eating purposes looks redundant to me since we already have a plant-based calorie source that respawns, birch bark and its tea.