Sprinting while encumbered...

ThePancakeLady

I can't be the only one who noticed we can sprint while encumbered now. 

Not sue when this happened, or if it has been in the game for some time, and I just missed it. But, I noticed it during 4DoN, and once that ended, I loaded up an old save game, and started a new one. Both times, I made sure my character had the Well Fed bonus (so this may be a thing...), loaded them up to 83-84 lbs/ max carry weight 77 lbs. So, not greatly over-encumbered, but still carrying more than max weight.

Then I ran both around on flat surfaces, then over snowy fields with some up-and-down slopes. No sprains (but no sprain warning indicators either), and yes, they could sprint. The sprint meter showed any loss of sprint from clothing (white meter with a section of red), but they could sprint while over max carry weight. The sprint meter seemed to drain faster and fatigue increased faster. But, I have not done any really deep testing on this, so I am not sure about how much faster, or if the sprint meter takes longer to refill. And I have not tested if thee is a cut-off weight, whee you can no longer sprint while seriously over-encumbered (full red sprint meter, no while showing).

Not sure if this is a bug, I did validate all files on Steam, and all validated successfully. Haven't tried it on XBox One yet (because my family is hogging it today...).

Anyone see this as well, and do any testing on it yet?

There is a cutoff point for it, yeah.

As a hoarder, I've encountered it quite often. :)

I want to say it may be roughly 25% over whatever your current max weight is, since that's when I notice the biggest hit to normal walking speed, but it may take a bit of additional testing. With well-fed + satchel, that sits at 50kg (40 + 10), but it is possible it's a bit above or below.

Okay, so this is not something new, but has been in the game for a bit, and I missed it. 3300+ hours, and it slipped by me, lol. Or I just tend to load my characters down with so much crap, that I am always over the max carry weight.  Lol! Color me slightly embarrassed, but also very happy to have found something I did not notice before.

Edited by ThePancakeLady
  • Like 1

The cutoff is 10kg over your encumbered point.  So baseline, it's 40kg.  With a satchel and well fed buff, it's 50kg.  You get diminishing returns on sprinting pretty quickly, so using baseline as an example carrying 31kg your sprint is still pretty effective, but 39kg you won't see any appreciable increase in speed.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

The cutoff is 10kg over your encumbered point.  So baseline, it's 40kg.  With a satchel and well fed buff, it's 50kg.  You get diminishing returns on sprinting pretty quickly, so using baseline as an example carrying 31kg your sprint is still pretty effective, but 39kg you won't see any appreciable increase in speed.

Awesome! How did I not know that you would know the exact numbers? So, most likely I am hoarding sticks too much as I go, and dropping 2 darn sticks would let me sprint again.

I really, really have to stop obsessively grabbing sticks. :D

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I really, really have to stop obsessively grabbing sticks. :D

I learned my lesson about 2 years ago, when I realized the main reason my game was CTD every third transition, was because I had over 2000 sticks in my safehouse!

2 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I learned my lesson about 2 years ago, when I realized the main reason my game was CTD every third transition, was because I had over 2000 sticks in my safehouse!

Nah, I stopped hoarding sticks like that 2 years ago, maybe? But I still have a habit of carrying 20 sticks and enough cloth to make a snow shelter in an emergency. But I'll grab sticks while I am out moving around, and stop at 50 in inventory. I need to stop at 40, so I can still sprint. Should make Stalker a little less hairy, lol.